Student ticket sales 5X as many as the previous 2 years per Richard Pitino

Sconnie fan in the student section got pizza in his face just 2-3 years ago, but I'm not sure whether or not it was a set-up or organic

Let me understand this. Orlando couldn't get permission to use the gym across from his office, but his alleged desire not to have student tickets bundled for football and basketball went thru no sweat?

What makes you think Tubby ever sought permission to use that gym? I've heard from people I think would know that he didn't want to practice in that gym because it was not private enough for his tastes.

What makes you think Tubby ever sought permission to use that gym? I've heard from people I think would know that he didn't want to practice in that gym because it was not private enough for his tastes.

I want to hear from your people Orlando turned down the same deal Coach P. just got. I don't believe much of the "insider information" this board receives.

In a dream world, that entire end of the student section would be students...from corner to corner. Preferably with all of them wearing gold, band in included.

In a dream world, that entire end of the student section would be students...from corner to corner. Preferably with all of them wearing gold, band in included.
Let's just call that end a general admission standing section and allow anyone to buy a ticket with the Students getting a deep discount.

I want to hear from your people Orlando turned down the same deal Coach P. just got. I don't believe much of the "insider information" this board receives.

You really think that a $2 million power coach couldn't get access to that practice area if he wanted? Seriously? Think about what you're implying. You are suggesting that for six years while Tubby Smith was here, he was denied permission to use that gym after requesting to use it. Then, out of the blue, the new coach comes on board and somehow manages to change schedules overnight. Trust me, if Tubby wanted to use that area, he could have gotten the area.

Again, you can believe me or not, but people I believe would know have told me that simply put, Tubby didn't want to use that gym because it has too much public access and he didn't want to have general people viewing and/or hearing his practices. Trust me, there were people in that building who consistently wondered why Tubby wouldn't utilize that area and the answer always was Tubby doesn't want to. Pitino apparently doesn't concern himself as much with the privacy issues, especially in the summer workouts. Although, I'm told Pitino's hoping they can build a privacy wall before the real season starts. Tubby never felt compelled to attempt to take it that far and really never felt that practice area was viable for his needs. Pitino feels otherwise.

It isn't as if it is that big of a deal. Tubby got all of the summer workouts in when he was here. They just did it at Williams Arena. The interesting question will be how much (if at all) Pitino will be able to use that area during the regular season.

Let me understand this. Orlando couldn't get permission to use the gym across from his office, but his alleged desire not to have student tickets bundled for football and basketball went thru no sweat?

The team used the Bierman gym quite often in the offseason during the Tubby years. Even former local players, some that went to other Big Ten schools, used it during the offseason.

Let's just call that end a general admission standing section and allow anyone to buy a ticket with the Students getting a deep discount.

I would have no problem with that, in fact I would prefer it. I just want that entire end covered in gold to make the student section look bigger than it really is.

What happened was, when Tubby came he was told that there was a deal in place that if people bought football tickets, they'd get a discount on bball tickets. He did not like that at all, and didn't feel his sport should be discounted. It could have been phrased differently, as a bundle...but it doesn't really matter. Ticket sales dropped off. And the bottom line is, it's better for both sports to bundle. When one is doing better than the other, they can feed off each other.

What happened was, when Tubby came he was told that there was a deal in place that if people bought football tickets, they'd get a discount on bball tickets. He did not like that at all, and didn't feel his sport should be discounted. It could have been phrased differently, as a bundle...but it doesn't really matter. Ticket sales dropped off. And the bottom line is, it's better for both sports to bundle. When one is doing better than the other, they can feed off each other.

Tubby is a doofus.

In a dream world, we'd have enough revenue to make the student tickets free (they're already incurring a lifetime of loans with tuition), and the "student section" would ring the first few rows around most/all of the arena. So they could get all of the old insomniacs away from the court and make the whole place crazy.

In a dream world, we'd have enough revenue to make the student tickets free (they're already incurring a lifetime of loans with tuition), and the "student section" would ring the first few rows around most/all of the arena. So they could get all of the old insomniacs away from the court and make the whole place crazy.
The revenue is coming from the old insomniacs. The student tickets are plenty cheap and with so many students, making them free creates supply/demand problems for the big games. The typical U of M student isn't eating ramen for every meal. The bandwagon is starting to rev its engines.

What happened was, when Tubby came he was told that there was a deal in place that if people bought football tickets, they'd get a discount on bball tickets. He did not like that at all, and didn't feel his sport should be discounted.

Why would the head coach of a Big Ten b-ball program, with a 7 year x $2.5M guaranteed contract give a rats ass about ticket policy that makes it easier to fill the building? Sparky?

What does an inability to sleep have to do with cheering a basketball team?

The revenue is coming from the old insomniacs. The student tickets are plenty cheap and with so many students, making them free creates supply/demand problems for the big games. The typical U of M student isn't eating ramen for every meal. The bandwagon is starting to rev its engines.

You can play the game with no one cheering. You can't play the game if no one is paying the bills.

If Florida can make it's basketball tickets free and it's football tickets dirt cheap, MN students shouldn't have to shell hundreds. If they were free, you could implement a 'use it or lose it' policy. If you no show, you lose your ticket for the rest of the games. It would do wonders for those 11 AM kick-offs and the non-conference basketball games.

That's absolutely ridiculous on his part.

If Florida can make it's basketball tickets free and it's football tickets dirt cheap, MN students shouldn't have to shell hundreds. If they were free, you could implement a 'use it or lose it' policy. If you no show, you lose your ticket for the rest of the games. It would do wonders for those 11 AM kick-offs and the non-conference basketball games.

I'm a big fan of the way Gonzaga does its basketball tickets. They are free, but they are single game only, and you have to pick them up, in person, at a designated time. That ensures that the people who get the tickets are the ones willing to camp out the longest for them. It gets the most excited fans in the building.

I'm a big fan of the way Gonzaga does its basketball tickets. They are free, but they are single game only, and you have to pick them up, in person, at a designated time. That ensures that the people who get the tickets are the ones willing to camp out the longest for them. It gets the most excited fans in the building.

I went to Gonzaga for my first year of law school and I have to say if the school is willing to give out tickets for free, then yeah this is the way to go. You are guaranteed to have a raucous crowd every single home game. I think the way they did it when I was there was that every Sunday they would give out tickets (instead of paper tickets it just went on your school id) for the following week's games, sometimes it was 1 game sometimes it was 2 games. You also got penalized for not attending the game if you received the tickets. I believe the first penalty was simply a warning, the second penalty was suspension from being able to get tickets for a couple of weeks or so.

I went to Gonzaga for my first year of law school and I have to say if the school is willing to give out tickets for free, then yeah this is the way to go. You are guaranteed to have a raucous crowd every single home game. I think the way they did it when I was there was that every Sunday they would give out tickets (instead of paper tickets it just went on your school id) for the following week's games, sometimes it was 1 game sometimes it was 2 games. You also got penalized for not attending the game if you received the tickets. I believe the first penalty was simply a warning, the second penalty was suspension from being able to get tickets for a couple of weeks or so.

They're never free. Every student pays for them with their student athletic fees.

This is outrageous. If Gonzaga promotes that the kids who have no lives and camp out in line the longest for basketball tickets to EVERY freaking game, then you have a bunch of future McDonald's employees experiencing games as students. While the one's who have a drive to be successful are not waiting in line for 4 hours every 5 days for tickets.

Can McDonald's employees afford season tickets after graduation?

Obviously there are exceptions and some college kids are able to balance and prioritize... but most certainly are not capable.

Having said that. I like the way a school like Wisconsin does it for football with one exception. If you have a student base that is willing to camp out for student tickets (sold as full season tickets), then you shouldn't allow tickets to be purchased over the internet. You have that problem at Wisconsin because kids are able to jump online and buy them while some of the "die hard" are left out of luck because the servers crash every year so i'm told, which is why Wisconsin has problems with students arriving late.

Top Bottom