Student Tailgating, Yes. Next, Bring Back the Marching Band Tradition.

As a longtime and now former member of the UMMB, I have a very clear picture of some of the logistical issues that go into the various ideas. There are other problems on our end of things that go with the University Ave. March. Consider the strain that would be put on the students with a longer march. The stadium is further away from the best logistical place to start the march Church Street. This means that the students have much further to go to get around the back of the stadium and into the tunnel. After only a short time to rest and reset for pregame, the students would then be marching a longer and much more challenging pregame show than what the used to march in the days of memorial stadium. (If you poll the band, not a single person would vote to shorten pregame for a parade.) On top of that, the students would have to walk from the stadium, up to Church Street, and then march to TCF. Not only is this even more work, but then the band has that awkward experience of walking around out in public, in uniform, not marching as a group. This has the appearance of being disorganized. Before someone suggests busing, it costs about $5000 to bus the band anywhere on campus connectors, even more on coaches which the band and the University do not have the money for.

Right now our best option is the Gopher Victory Walk and Plaza Performance that we do before each and every home game. The more people out there before a game, the more fun the event is for everybody.

I don't mean for this to sound like an angry rant, so I apologize if it comes off that way. I felt that maybe an inside view could help clarify some of these issues.

Awesome insight!!! I always thought the Victory Walk and Plaza performance was good enough as far as the band is concerned.

$$$$. Solve that and you get us 95% of the way there.

So put some donation boxes in the TCF councourse earmarked for that purpose. Or better yet, add a section on the season ticket renewal to add $1, $2, $5, etc to the cost of a season ticket. Why do these things have to be so complicated?

Makes me wonder about the leadership, not just in the AD office but possibly the band office as well.

As a longtime and now former member of the UMMB, I have a very clear picture of some of the logistical issues that go into the various ideas. There are other problems on our end of things that go with the University Ave. March. Consider the strain that would be put on the students with a longer march. The stadium is further away from the best logistical place to start the march Church Street. This means that the students have much further to go to get around the back of the stadium and into the tunnel. After only a short time to rest and reset for pregame, the students would then be marching a longer and much more challenging pregame show than what the used to march in the days of memorial stadium. (If you poll the band, not a single person would vote to shorten pregame for a parade.) On top of that, the students would have to walk from the stadium, up to Church Street, and then march to TCF. Not only is this even more work, but then the band has that awkward experience of walking around out in public, in uniform, not marching as a group. This has the appearance of being disorganized. Before someone suggests busing, it costs about $5000 to bus the band anywhere on campus connectors, even more on coaches which the band and the University do not have the money for.

Right now our best option is the Gopher Victory Walk and Plaza Performance that we do before each and every home game. The more people out there before a game, the more fun the event is for everybody.

I don't mean for this to sound like an angry rant, so I apologize if it comes off that way. I felt that maybe an inside view could help clarify some of these issues.
As a band alumnus, grow a pair.
Not sure if your tenure included pre-TCF, and not to sound like a crusty alum, but the current members have it MUCH easier than we did at the Dome. Carrying instruments from Northrup to the practice field everyday, practicing on blacktop, etc., and you're worried about marching a few extra blocks on Gameday? :cry:

Not sure if your tenure included pre-TCF, and not to sound like a crusty alum, but the current members have it MUCH easier than we did at the Dome. Carrying instruments from Northrup to the practice field everyday, practicing on blacktop, etc., and you're worried about marching a few extra blocks on Gameday? :cry:

In my day we hit FULL CHAIR :). And yes, the dome was nasty, especially that old astro turf before they put in the field turf. That stuff really was concrete.

Makes me wonder about the leadership, not just in the AD office but possibly the band office as well.
You might be on to something. When I was in the band, I approached the director (not the current director) about a fundraising plan than would cover half the cost of a trip to Iowa for the entire band. I was told point blank that we should not be in the business of raising money for any trips, and that it should come from the AD. If we raise the money once, it will set a precedence, and we'll continually have to raise the same amount. If a student group is willing to work hard and put up HALF the cost of an any game, and you say no? To me that sends the wrong message. We used the money to buy new baritones or some garbage like that.

We used the money to buy new baritones or some garbage like that.

Yeah! Screw the baritones! :)

Oh, and Back in my day, we marched back from the Dome after beating Wisconsin. Mind you, we did it because the buses were way late, but we did it and loved it. Kids these days :rolleyes:

Anyway, traveling to away games not in the band allows you to drink and tailgate!

The Ohio State band rode busses for 14 hours, probably stayed one night in a hotel, played at the game, then promptly drove right back to Ohio.

I do not know how it could be that expensive to get the band 250 miles to Madison or Iowa City every year. I am really tired of the excuses. Chicago, Lincoln, and Champaign are not that difficult either.

You can't compare OSU's band to anyone else, much less to MN. They aren't on the same playing field. They RECRUIT many of their kids. Like, they have them come to campus for recruiting visits like a football player does (a good friend of my wife's got to experience that). Their band facilities are insane and top notch. And if I'm not mistaken, they are part of the athletic department and get their funding from there (you know, the dept that makes the most (or almost the most) of any in Division 1 athletics). Money is not a problem for them.

I am in total agreement with folks that the U hasn't made marching the band anywhere a priority and that logistically it could be done (assuming the City played ball). My general point has always been that it's not as simple as some want to make it sound and there are some legitimate logistical reasons against it.

When it comes to traveling trips, I had always understood the money issue to be made worse by the fact that the band isn't officially part of the athletic department. Is that true? Because that's a primary issue right there. With the department as a whole barely in the black, and an AD/admin that hasn't made travel a priority, I can see why the money doesn't make its way to the band's coffers.

It's definitely a matter of priorities, but the passionate people on this board need to do more than talk about it. We need to organize and get something done. If the U's priorities seem out of whack then attention must be brought to it. There is a new president coming in...seem's like a good time to find ways to raise the issue (especially since he seems to care about athletics and everything that surrounds them). I don't know the best avenues to do that or what others have already tried (I know some of the band alums have posted their frustrations with contacting the band leadership). But if anyone here wants to see a change it won't happen simply by complaining that if the U cared enough things would be better. Someone has to make them care. That sucks, but it's the way it is.

This is the kind of thing that won't help. Almost every current/recent grad band member who has posted here seems to agree with the points GGSax raised. If alums disagree then they need to find other ways to get their point across to the band leadership and the U. Calling out the current band members won't do jack.

Instead, I wouldn't mind seeing some new band traditions started. For example, I tailgate in the West Bank lots. I'm sure it would be very well received if a small pep band of 15-20 would show up and play a few school songs a couple of hours before kickoff.

There are already several (I believe 2 or 3) pep bands that travel around the lots surrounding TCF comprised of some of the UMMB. If you are talking about getting together current marching band members to go to tailgating lots in the West Bank after Plaza show/march around, that would be nearly impossible. As for the away trip, there is literally no funding left that is in the hands of the marching band to go towards playing at an away game. Heck, there is barely enough to bus the band back and forth to the State Fair parade. Higher powers would have to adjust the budget and I would be quite surprised if that happened.

This is the kind of thing that won't help. Almost every current/recent grad band member who has posted here seems to agree with the points GGSax raised. If alums disagree then they need to find other ways to get their point across to the band leadership and the U. Calling out the current band members won't do jack.
I rarely criticize current members because I know I hated alumni talking about how great the band was when they were in it. But come on, the only points GGSax brings up is that it's too much work and it looks disorganized. Marching down 5th St, looping around Ridder, and back up University hardly seems taxing. If the city won't allow it, that's one thing, but don't tell me it's too hard a march. This is a B1G Marching Band; act like it.

OK GH-ers. Here is your chance to get your point across. Maybe if the higher ups hear from enough of us, a few things could change. I will be sending them a note with my concerns and possible suggestios. I could not find President Kalers email address.

Chief of Staff
Amy Phenix
[email protected]

Maturi, Joel
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Timothy Diem
[email protected]

David Myers
[email protected]

OK GH-ers. Here is your chance to get your point across. Maybe if the higher ups hear from enough of us, a few things could change. I will be sending them a note with my concerns and possible suggestios. I could not find President Kalers email address.

Chief of Staff
Amy Phenix
[email protected]

Maturi, Joel
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Timothy Diem
[email protected]

David Myers
[email protected]
Thanks Bayfield. A reminder to everyone to be concise and polite. Rambling like Wren or being a jerk is the easiest way to get ignored.

From Amy Phenix, President Kalers Chief of Staff.
Thank you so much for your support! We absolutely share your goal of making the football game day experience exceptional and memorable. You have a number of good ideas here, some of which I expect our athletics leadership are working on and others which may be new for consideration.

I see you cc'd the athletic and music directors here, and I am confident that they'll review your recommendations and do everything they can to continue to improve the game day and fan experience.

Go Gophers!

Amy

From Amy Phenix, President Kalers Chief of Staff.
Thank you so much for your support! We absolutely share your goal of making the football game day experience exceptional and memorable. You have a number of good ideas here, some of which I expect our athletics leadership are working on and others which may be new for consideration.

I see you cc'd the athletic and music directors here, and I am confident that they'll review your recommendations and do everything they can to continue to improve the game day and fan experience.

Go Gophers!

Amy
What were the ideas you suggested? Do you mind sharing the body of your email?

Thanks Bayfield. A reminder to everyone to be concise and polite. Rambling like Wren or being a jerk is the easiest way to get ignored.

I've emailed them before and here's what your get: "thanks for your suggestion but here is why we can't do it....." that would be my guess as to what you'll get back, but I sure hope I'm wrong. The powers that be over there just don't seem to want suggestions.

Chief of Staff
Amy Phenix
[email protected]

Maturi, Joel
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Timothy Diem
[email protected]

David Myers
[email protected]
I recommend adding the Band Alumni Society to your email CC. While individual emails are great, I'm guessing a lot of them have contradictory ideas. The Band Alumni Society would be a great way to present the best ideas as a unified force.

Band Alumni Society:
www.skiumah.org
[email protected]

I've emailed them before and here's what your get: "thanks for your suggestion but here is why we can't do it....." that would be my guess as to what you'll get back, but I sure hope I'm wrong. The powers that be over there just don't seem to want suggestions.
Think about how many emails these people get. I know the band director gets hundreds of emails each week from whiny alumni like myself and fans looking to improve the band. While each email is genuine, you can imagine it could get overwhelming.
As I said above, maybe a better option is to funnel your ideas through the Band Alumni Society who can present ideas more concisely and with more influence.

What were the ideas you suggested? Do you mind sharing the body of your email?

Sure.
----- Original Message -----

We are huge Gopher fans, have held football season tickets going on twenty five years and have followed the program for close to sixty years.. During that time, there have been other things lacking with the football program besides no Big Ten titles, Rose Bowls or major bowls.

The lack of an on campus stadium has been detrimental to the football program and to the University as well. College football gameday is a great event but the atmosphere at the University of Minnesota falls far short to that of the other Big Ten schools as well as most universities across our land. Now that we have a great on campus stadium, the University has a Golden opportunity to be on a level playing field with our competition.

We know there are many Gopher fans who want to be a part of establishing new traditions as well as maintaining those from the past. The Marching Band is a large part of that tradition and is an organization that has represented the University very well. Most fans want a better gameday atmosphere and have reasons to arrive early and stay late. Many fans, including us, have experienced gamedays in other Big Ten campuses which has not been matched at the University of Minnesota.

We offer the following suggestions to help improve our gameday situation.

1. Allow more opportunity for tailgating within a closer proximity to TCF. The high cost of parking in those lots prohibits that as we have witnessed very little activity in those lots.

2. Go back to the band pregame one hour prior to kick-off. Attendance will improve as most fans are still enroute to TCF or tailgating a significant distance from the event. My wife and I attended two of the pregame last year which is difficult as we travel four hours from Bayfield. We have to say, the atmosphere was lacking to the point that we really didn't care if we missed it. And will do the same this Fall unless it is closer to game time. Thousands of Badger fans attend the pregame and it is a fun event to witness.

3. Bring back the tradition of the band marching down University Avenue. We have fond memories of those days. No question, this would require close logistics with the city. If not University Avenue, consider other streets or even Scholars Walk or other areas. The OSU Marching Band was able to march to TCF last year and somehow that was made a reality. Why not our band?

4. Consider an annual or semi-annual trip for the Marching Band. Having a visiting band at a Gopher game adds greatly to the atmosphere. We realize funds are very tight. But we are confident that Gopher fans will help with that. We would certainly add a small donation to make that happen with our season ticket renewal if that was made available. And we would drop a buck or two at donation sites within the concourse of TCF for that purpose. We are not aware of any effort to allow the public to assist with fund raising other than a direct contribution to the music program.

5. As season ticket holders, we have never received notice of the Marching Band Concerts thus have never attended. We do receive regular emails from the AD and ticket office which helps greatly with communication.

6. We realize that advertising revenue sources are a priority, but come on. The stuff that goes on during time outs at TCF has gone way overboard, is obnoxious and destroys the atmosphere. We know that fans would much rather hear the band play than some promo that most fans ignore. And also consider doing far less piped in and loud music.

7. Said that, we would love to have Sweet Caroline become a tradition between the third and fourth quarter as the crowd, young and old, really enjoy it and get into it!!

8. Get the Board of Regents approval to sell alcohol in the suites, as orginally planned, to increase revenues. The Minnesota legislature has no business in that matter.

9. Other than Band Day, invite high school bands to perform in parking lots and also in the TCF area. No question that there is always room in the student section to seat a couple of high school bands.

10. Finally, the administration must seek ways to encourage greater support from the students. Its embarassing to see the student section less than full, or even less than one quarter full, especially at the Iowa game. We realize that it was holdiay break but we know that many of those seats could have been filled by area high school students or other college students.

We realize that it takes time to establish gameday traditions that will result in a great atmosphere.. But to date, we have not seen that nor are there opportunities and reasons for us to arrive early and stay late.

Thank you for considering my letter and go Gophers!!

It really is sad the university lost many of the traditions. Thank you Metrodome!!

It's easier to keep traditions than to revive them or get new ones. Many traditions are kind of stupid - that is, unless they are your traditions. Michigan has the tradition of jumping up and touching a banner. If they were TOLD to do that, it would seem really lame. But it evolved on its own, and it doesn't mean a thing to me, but it means something to Michigan, which is all that really matters.

There are those who insist that we shouldn't do anything unless everyone does it, and there are those who insist we shouldn't do anything that anyone else does.

Sure.
----- Original Message -----

We are huge Gopher fans, have held football season tickets going on twenty five years and have followed the program for close to sixty years.. During that time, there have been other things lacking with the football program besides no Big Ten titles, Rose Bowls or major bowls.

The lack of an on campus stadium has been detrimental to the football program and to the University as well. College football gameday is a great event but the atmosphere at the University of Minnesota falls far short to that of the other Big Ten schools as well as most universities across our land. Now that we have a great on campus stadium, the University has a Golden opportunity to be on a level playing field with our competition.

We know there are many Gopher fans who want to be a part of establishing new traditions as well as maintaining those from the past. The Marching Band is a large part of that tradition and is an organization that has represented the University very well. Most fans want a better gameday atmosphere and have reasons to arrive early and stay late. Many fans, including us, have experienced gamedays in other Big Ten campuses which has not been matched at the University of Minnesota.

1. Allow more opportunity for tailgating within a closer proximity to TCF. The high cost of parking in those lots prohibits that as we have witnessed very little activity in those lots.

2. Go back to the band pregame one hour prior to kick-off. Attendance will improve as most fans are still enroute to TCF or tailgating a significant distance from the event. My wife and I attended two of the pregame last year which is difficult as we travel four hours from Bayfield. We have to say, the atmosphere was lacking to the point that we really didn't care if we missed it. And will do the same this Fall unless it is closer to game time. Thousands of Badger fans attend the pregame and it is a fun event to witness.

3. Bring back the tradition of the band marching down University Avenue. We have fond memories of those days. No question, this would require close logistics with the city. If not University Avenue, consider other streets or even Scholars Walk or other areas. The OSU Marching Band was able to march to TCF last year and somehow that was made a reality. Why not our band?

4. Consider an annual or semi-annual trip for the Marching Band. Having a visiting band at a Gopher game adds greatly to the atmosphere. We realize funds are very tight. But we are confident that Gopher fans will help with that. We would certainly add a small donation to make that happen with our season ticket renewal if that was made available. And we would drop a buck or two at donation sites within the concourse of TCF for that purpose. We are not aware of any effort to allow the public to assist with fund raising other than a direct contribution to the music program.

5. As season ticket holders, we have never received notice of the Marching Band Concerts thus have never attended. We do receive regular emails from the AD and ticket office which helps greatly with communication.

6. We realize that advertising revenue sources are a priority, but come on. The stuff that goes on during time outs at TCF has gone way overboard, is obnoxious and destroys the atmosphere. We know that fans would much rather hear the band play than some promo that most fans ignore. And also consider doing far less piped in and loud music.

7. Said that, we would love to have Sweet Caroline become a tradition between the third and fourth quarter as the crowd, young and old, really enjoy it and get into it!!

8. Get the Board of Regents approval to sell alcohol in the suites, as orginally planned, to increase revenues. The Minnesota legislature has no business in that matter.

9. Other than Band Day, invite high school bands to perform in parking lots and also in the TCF area. No question that there is always room in the student section to seat a couple of high school bands.

10. Finally, the administration must seek ways to encourage greater support from the students. Its embarassing to see the student section less than full, or even less than one quarter full, especially at the Iowa game. We realize that it was holdiay break but we know that many of those seats could have been filled by area high school students or other college students.

We realize that it takes time to establish gameday traditions that will result in a great atmosphere.. But to date, we have not seen that nor are there opportunities and reasons for us to arrive early and stay late.

Well done Bayfield! I wish I was smart enough to suggest ways for them to get things these things done. Winning consistently solves a lot of problems. Many of the things you mentioned can be handled regardless of the record.

Just want to clear up some misconceptions.

The band is part of the school of music, meaning the vast majority of its funding comes from CLA, not the athletic department. CLA is taking the brunt of the latest round of budget cuts and the band was not spared. The band has several less days of camp to start the season than even just a few years ago.

The Ohio State band was not originally planning on coming here last year, but they had one alum (not sure if band alumni or just OSU alumni) write them a check for the entire cost of the trip - well over $200,000. Keep in mind that the U of M band is almost 100 people bigger than the Ohio State band, so you're looking at nearly $300,000 for an away trip.

Also, we're kind of on the fringes of this conference. How far is it between Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois? Not very. Pretty much any trip our band could go on would result in an overnight stay, so there are very limited options for traveling on the cheap.

Talk about being frustrated after reading Maturi's response. Defer things, ask other departments to do it, take no position, etc. Isn't he the AD and doesn't that title carry some weight. Maybe not if the AD is a lightweight!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh.

I will try to compose myself before I respond.
****************************************8********

Gary,

Thank you for your email and for your support of the Gophers. I will do my best to answer each question below.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:48 AM, gary <[email protected]> wrote:

We have worked hard to develop a "Tailgating" atmosphere at our football games. We realize that it will take time to create new traditions. Athletics does not control parking. that is handled by our Office of Parking and Transportation. They determine the rates although Athletics did determine giving levels to allow access to purchase. I do believe we are headed in the right direction.

2. Go back to the band pregame one hour prior to kick-off. Attendance will improve as most fans are still enroute to TCF or tailgating a significant distance from the event. My wife and I attended two of the pregame last year which is difficult as we travel four hours from Bayfield. I have to say, the atmosphere was lacking to the point that we really didn't care if we missed it. And will do the same this Fall unless it is closer to game time. Thousands of Badger fans attend the pregame and it is a fun event to witness.

I will let Professor Diem answer this question. The Band has been GREAT - I am their biggest fan. They are there for the "Victory Walk" and have done everything we have asked.

We had hoped to restore this tradition but were not given permission by the Police to do so and with the construction and traffic challenges do not beleive we would have any success if we requested such this year. Maybe once the Light Rail is complete in 2014.

Professor Diem and I wold love for our Band to travel. Right now it is about money, as you suggest. What additional fund raising would need to be done by the Band and they have many needs.

I do not know if the Band concert is advertised by Athletics or not. I am certain we would help out if asked.

That promo stuff is important financially. We do our best to limit.

I will let our Marketing people determine this. You do not want me making that decision.

I believe the Board is ready to allow alcohol in the Premium Areas once the Legislator allows us to do so without selling to the general public.

Again, I will defer to Professor Diem and our Marketing people. Nice touch.

I can assure you that no one works harder at engaging the students that we have. We did get permission last month to close Oak Street and plan on some major events to attract our students. Winning will help and I am excited about what Coach Kill brings to Minnesota.

We have a great home schedule this year! See you at the games!

Joel Maturi

--
Joel Maturi
Director of Athletics
University of Minnesota
250 Bierman Bldg
516 15th Ave SE
Minneapolis MN 55455
612-624-2100 office
[email protected]

Jeez, What Did I Start Here?

I had merely hoped to generate some discussion and enthusiasm for bringing back
the marching band tradition, and perhaps some other Memorial Stadium traditions. I had no idea that I would generate so much discussion, enthusiasm, and so many great ideas from so many of you.

Bayfield, as usual, you are the voice of reason with some great ideas, a call to action with the names and addresses of the usual suspects that we should be contacting in support of making the Gopher game day experience more enjoyable, and a plan to make things happen. I hope that Pres. Kaler, the Athletic Director, the Band Director, the Band Alumni Society, and Coach Kill are inundated with your positive, constructive e-mails when. It is not too late to get something done before the first home football game.

Please indulge me as I take a few minutes to explain why the tradition of the Marching Band parading down University Avenue brings back so many fond memories and means so much to me. I grew up in small town Bayport, Minnesota, in the 40s and 50s, as a huge Gopher football fan thanks to my Uncle Wilfrid, who was in the stands in 1924 when they dedicated Memorial Stadium. Back in the 30s and 40s when the Gophers were winning national championships, they used to stay overnight before their games the White Pine Inn in Bayport. My uncle used to tell me stories about these great Gopher football players walking around our little town. Fast forward to November 5, 1960, Number 1, Iowa, 6-0, vs. Number 3 Minnesota, 6-0, in Memorial Stadium, on national TV, with Sports Illustrated covering the game. Here is the story link:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1071994/1/index.htm

I had just spent the last 11 months at the University hospital, in a body cast recovering from spinal fusion surgery. In late October, I finally got out of my body cast and was able to sit up in a wheelchair again. My doctors knew that I was a huge Gopher football fan, and they arranged for me to attend the Minnesota/Iowa game, assisted by a burly orderly who had played football himself. Prior to the game, he positioned me of the corner of University and Oak Street, knowing what was coming. I did not. Very soon, I heard the marching band in the distance, playing one of our favorites. When they marched past me and turned the corner at Oak Street, playing the Minnesota March, I just about peed in my pants from the excitement of the moment. Later that afternoon, Sandy Stephens, Tom Brown, Bobby Bell, Judge Dickson, and Roger Hagberg put the big hurt on Iowa, 27-10. I was 16 years old, and I will never forget the excitement of that day, which began with the Gopher Marching Band. Seven years later, I was back on campus as a law student, and saw every home game during the 1967 Big Ten championship season. I remember my assistant used to race my wheelchair from the corner of University and Oak Street and beat the Marching Band into the tunnel so that I could watch them march onto the field. The goosebumps were always there, right through the 1981 season, sadly, the Gophers final season in Memorial Stadium.

That is why the marching band tradition means so much to me. Thank you for indulging an old man and my memories of a time before most of you were born.
GO GOPHERS!

Please indulge me as I take a few minutes to explain why the tradition of the Marching Band parading down University Avenue brings back so many fond memories and means so much to me. I grew up in small town Bayport, Minnesota, in the 40s and 50s, as a huge Gopher football fan thanks to my Uncle Wilfrid, who was in the stands in 1924 when they dedicated Memorial Stadium. Back in the 30s and 40s when the Gophers were winning national championships, they used to stay overnight before their games the White Pine Inn in Bayport. My uncle used to tell me stories about these great Gopher football players walking around our little town. Fast forward to November 5, 1960, Number 1, Iowa, 6-0, vs. Number 3 Minnesota, 6-0, in Memorial Stadium, on national TV, with Sports Illustrated covering the game. Here is the story link:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1071994/1/index.htm

I had just spent the last 11 months at the University hospital, in a body cast recovering from spinal fusion surgery. In late October, I finally got out of my body cast and was able to sit up in a wheelchair again. My doctors knew that I was a huge Gopher football fan, and they arranged for me to attend the Minnesota/Iowa game, assisted by a burly orderly who had played football himself. Prior to the game, he positioned me of the corner of University and Oak Street, knowing what was coming. I did not. Very soon, I heard the marching band in the distance, playing one of our favorites. When they marched past me and turned the corner at Oak Street, playing the Minnesota March, I just about peed in my pants from the excitement of the moment. Later that afternoon, Sandy Stephens, Tom Brown, Bobby Bell, Judge Dickson, and Roger Hagberg put the big hurt on Iowa, 27-10. I was 16 years old, and I will never forget the excitement of that day, which began with the Gopher Marching Band. Seven years later, I was back on campus as a law student, and saw every home game during the 1967 Big Ten championship season. I remember my assistant used to race my wheelchair from the corner of University and Oak Street and beat the Marching Band into the tunnel so that I could watch them march onto the field. The goosebumps were always there, right through the 1981 season, sadly, the Gophers final season in Memorial Stadium.

That is why the marching band tradition means so much to me. Thank you for indulging an old man and my memories of a time before most of you were born.
GO GOPHERS!

That has to be one of the best "fandom" moments I've ever read. What a great memory John! Thanks for sharing!

I'm confident that with a new president and hopefully a new AD progress can be made on these fronts. Passionate fans who can share constructive ideas (like Bayfield) or long time fans with great stories about why traditions mean so much (like you John) can hopefully help add a little weight to the pleas of younger fans like myself.

To be completely fair to Maturi, it seems like he did a pretty good job at answering your enormous email considering his duties and abilities that AD's have.

It's easier to keep traditions than to revive them or get new ones. Many traditions are kind of stupid - that is, unless they are your traditions. Michigan has the tradition of jumping up and touching a banner. If they were TOLD to do that, it would seem really lame. But it evolved on its own, and it doesn't mean a thing to me, but it means something to Michigan, which is all that really matters.

There are those who insist that we shouldn't do anything unless everyone does it, and there are those who insist we shouldn't do anything that anyone else does.

In regards to starting new traditions, I would really love to see The U put the Bronko Nagurski plow (the one that was there for Bronko day) on the field when the team comes out. I think that would be a great object for the team to rub for good luck coming out. I believe the Nagurski family owns it and keeps it up nort'. But I would really love to see that.

Talk about being frustrated after reading Maturi's response. Defer things, ask other departments to do it, take no position, etc. Isn't he the AD and doesn't that title carry some weight. Maybe not if the AD is a lightweight!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh

Joel is a frustrating guy. You had several well stated suggestions, and you would have been better served with a simply thank you. You want to know why the band is not Marching on University Avenue? Because we didn't get permission from the Police. Why? Who did Joel defer this to? They close streets in Minneapolis all the time, Holidazzle, Aquatential, et al. We are looking at 15-20 minutes 7 Saturdays a year. Come on man! What frustrates me, is his seeming willingness to just accept the police said no.

Top Bottom