Student Section

That’s part of why you don’t fire the coach. He still gets the biggest roar from the students.

Yesterday was a bit bloated because a lot of those students were friends from WI buying tickets to get in the door and sit in the student.

Was awesome to see and the best bit is the addition of the DJ and music. Know your crowd of a bunch of Scandinavian Lutherans who love to sing.

That’s part of why you don’t fire the coach. He still gets the biggest roar from the students.

Yesterday was a bit bloated because a lot of those students were friends from WI buying tickets to get in the door and sit in the student.

Was awesome to see and the best bit is the addition of the DJ and music. Know your crowd of a bunch of Scandinavian Lutherans who love to sing.
We had a row of Sconnie's to our left and I noted how they were taking in the commercial break activities. Nebraska's Johnny Johnson noted several years ago how much he enjoyed the atmospher when attending a Nebbie beat down.

To summarize from yesterday the visitors were mainly into what was dished, especially for the song breaks.

Probably not a surprise the Garth Brooks cut had them all joining in enthusiastically. They were also taken with the Show Your Oars scholarship bit too.

Probably the one that fell real flat was the "Show Your Little Gopher" bit because no one brought their little Gophers to this one.

Finally, if that group did any trolling (and they didn't) it was a father-son who very enthusiastically embraced "Do The Gopher" when that was on. Kudos to them because they were quite pleased at that point after a rough start. As for the kid, he was a 10-11 year old boy that I'm sure will remember his visit to TCF very fondly for the rest of his life. No issues from me on that.

Last edited:

Really wish there was less red in the student section yesterday.

I've heard other schools don't allow students wearing the wrong colors into the student section, maybe we could do that? Don't know if those schools do anything for someone who wears the "right" color on top, and the "wrong" color underneath and then change. That would probably still happen, but it might deter having too much red show up when we play Wisconsin at home.

There's a decent amount of U of M students from Wisconsin too.

Last edited:

A lot of the badger fans in the student section have to do with the reciprocity agreement Minnesota has with neighboring states Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Wisconsin kids pay less than Minnesota kids. Nuke that agreement and that red will disappear quickly. I remember when I was a student (class of 2010) badgers fans that were students here would buy the season ticket package ($100 my senior year) just to go to that game.

A lot of the badger fans in the student section have to do with the reciprocity agreement Minnesota has with neighboring states Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Wisconsin kids pay less than Minnesota kids. Nuke that agreement and that red will disappear quickly. I remember when I was a student (class of 2010) badgers fans that were students here would buy the season ticket package ($100 my senior year) just to go to that game.
This is not true, they are charged the resident student rate, so they pay the same as Minnesota kids:

IMG-7679.jpg

They’ve been amazing this year.

The students were great this year and really stepped it up for the big matchups. Hope we can keep that going.

Game day atmosphere, media timeout engagement, etc. is fantastic. Students showed up all year and they bring the fun. It's why I love college football over the NFL, it is simply a better atmosphere and more family-friendly. That won't change through 5-7 or 11-2 seasons.

I have a middle schooler who will be using the Gopher tunnel walk song (intro to Killing Strangers) for his travel baseball walk-up music because we sat directly next to student section for one game and he jumped in to sway and do the 'ROW' chant with them...fantastic core memory!

Same! As a student though, it's kinda annoying when a bunch of people leave at half time. Not for this game, but there are other big games where people will leave for the bars. Hopefully this will change with a better product on the field.

My youngest is going to the U in fall of 2024, she can’t wait to go to games, it’s the thing to do!

Top Bottom