STrib: Will Richard Pitino make any changes to spark the Gophers? Here are three to keep in mind

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Whether it’s with lineup changes or his style of play, these are three moves Pitino could make this week to potentially give his team a different look moving forward.

New starting power forward

Give Carr some rest

Shoot fewer three-pointers

Go Gophers!!

We are now at the point Ihnen, Williams, Greenlee and Freeman need at least 10-20 min a game. Need to give them experience or find out they arent good enough.

We are now at the point Ihnen, Williams, Greenlee and Freeman need at least 10-20 min a game. Need to give them experience or find out they aren't good enough.

With all due respect, you're asking for 10-20 minutes per game for Greenlee and Freeman? Based on what? You lost me there.

I have no idea what they'll look like as upperclassmen, but I can tell you right now they are nowhere near ready to play vs. Big Ten opposition. And if you haven't done it to this point, you certainly don't do it now when there's still a sliver of an opportunity to play in the NCAA Tournament.

I can wait until next season to try that experiment during the non-conference slate, if they're still here.

Keep giving Ihnen more minutes. This kid is only going to get better with time!
Yes. He creates so much more of a defensive presence than Demir and that pretty shot of his is going to start falling more with more play. Also, I like the action between him and Oturu underneath on offense. Need to see more of Ihnen. Great upside.

The coaches see these players every day in practice and their jobs may well depend on winning these last games and getting into the NCAA.
They choose the best players they have to do just that. The players mentioned just might not be the saviors you think they are.

Start Isaiah and Tre I think Willis and demir much better served to come off the benchh and probably Gabe for that matter to but no one to replace him in starting lineup right now

That is like forever and a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think the Earth is even that old. I'm going through such withdrawals I think I'm going to water board myself until Sept 3.

That is like forever and a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think the Earth is even that old. I'm going through such withdrawals I think I'm going to water board myself until Sept 3.
The earth is slightly more than 6,000 yrs old. I have it on Good authority.

We are now at the point Ihnen, Williams, Greenlee and Freeman need at least 10-20 min a game. Need to give them experience or find out they arent good enough.

I agree to give Greenlee additional minutes simply to give Carr some additional rest. There are ways to do it to minimize the risk - a few minutes here or there before of after timeouts etc...This is something where Pitino needs to be creative and figure out how to do it based on the flow of each game. He could aim for 6-10 minutes each game moving forward. This should have been done early so Greenlee would have more experience at this point already and would have helped Carr with his season load management.

I agree to give Greenlee additional minutes simply to give Carr some additional rest. There are ways to do it to minimize the risk - a few minutes here or there before of after timeouts etc...This is something where Pitino needs to be creative and figure out how to do it based on the flow of each game. He could aim for 6-10 minutes each game moving forward. This should have been done early so Greenlee would have more experience at this point already and would have helped Carr with his season load management.

They are 18-22 yr olds playing 30 games a year. No need for "load management". It's not even close to the NBA. It's a poor excuse and not relevant. If Greenlee was good enough he'd earn time. It's not simply given. If you want Carr in the game less manage the lead spot with Willis and Tre sliding over.

I'm ready to see something different. I'd like to see this starting lineup:

PG: Carr
SG: Kalesheur
SF: Williams
PF: Ihnen
C: Oturu

What do we have to lose? I'm not in favor of finding minutes for Freeman if he isn't ready. Would love to find a way to get Omersa but he is so limited offensively. Maybe one of you could talk us into putting Omersa at PF, Ihnen at SF, and having Williams take Kalesheur's spot just to really shake things up.

What do we have to lose? I'm not in favor of finding minutes for Freeman if he isn't ready. Would love to find a way to get Omersa but he is so limited offensively. Maybe one of you could talk us into putting Omersa at PF, Ihnen at SF, and having Williams take Kalesheur's spot just to really shake things up.

I still want Willis starting over Williams, but I'd be fine with giving Ihnen a serious shot at more minutes. Don't yank him after each mistake. give him some rope.

Despite his offensive limitations, also would like to see more Omersa. Team is just generally more energetic when he's out there. But he's gotta' get his minutes when we have our offensive firepower (Oturu, Carr) out there. Out there with (the) freshmen is a recipe for disaster.

I haven't given up on Demir, he's had some really good moments, just not lately. Let's see what happens with him coming off the bench.

Couldn't agree more with this. Can have Omersa spot minutes at the 4/5 as needed, and fire Demir's minutes into the sun.

They are 18-22 yr olds playing 30 games a year. No need for "load management". It's not even close to the NBA. It's a poor excuse and not relevant. If Greenlee was good enough he'd earn time. It's not simply given. If you want Carr in the game less manage the lead spot with Willis and Tre sliding over.

Agree to disagree - it depends on how much effort and how physical someone plays. Carr plays as hard as any guard I can remember since Bobby J, so maybe he needs a rest (i.e. "load management" new fangled vernacular - excusez-moi - but I actually don't like the term either) from time to time to be at his best at the end of games. I'll take any solution as long as it gives a better chance to win.

Agree to disagree - it depends on how much effort and how physical someone plays. Carr plays as hard as any guard I can remember since Bobby J, so maybe he needs a rest (i.e. "load management" new fangled vernacular - excusez-moi - but I actually don't like the term either) from time to time to be at his best at the end of games. I'll take any solution as long as it gives a better chance to win.

They already get more rest with TV time outs as well. Science agrees with my argument. What science can't calculate is mental. Also need to take into account amount of possessions/pace.

They already get more rest with TV time outs as well. Science agrees with my argument. What science can't calculate is mental. Also need to take into account amount of possessions/pace.

Was he the lead scientist in the study you are referencing in you post?

giphy.gif

Top Bottom