STrib: Transfer portal, NIL money reshape Gophers men's basketball allegiances ang Big Ten

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

Battle's case is rare but not surprising these days. Several Big Ten teams underwent roster changes involving the transfer portal, with players coming and others going. Hunter Dickinson, a two-time All-Big Ten center, also transferred from Michigan to Kansas. But sometimes players stick around at one school to maximize NIL opportunities.

Case in point: returning Big Ten and national player of the year Zach Edey.

"There's no doubt if it wasn't for name, image and likeness, he would be in the NBA," Purdue coach Matt Painter said Tuesday. "[NIL] for our sake brought him back here. So, for him to make very similar money to what he would make."

Purdue's the favorite to win the Big Ten title again this season. The 7-4 Edey reportedly is making close to $1 million in NIL deals, more than any other Big Ten player not named Caitlin Clark.

Illinois' Terrence Shannon, an all-league first team guard, returned to help his draft stock, but NIL was part of the conversation after that announcement.

"Me going back to school put me in a better position to enter in the draft next year," he said Tuesday. "And then I talked about NIL with my school."

Wisconsin returns all five starters, but a few of them reportedly turned down potentially bigger NIL paydays elsewhere to try to compete for a Big Ten title.

"We won't go all the way where it's just about NIL," Wisconsin coach Greg Gard said. "It's a small fraction of what we talk about, but it's been a very good faction. Our collective has done a good job, and I think we had some very generous people step up with their care about the program."

Go Gophers!!

But the chance to get a fresh start away from home, make the NCAA tournament, and get paid more in NIL were factors in deciding to use a fifth year of eligibility.

Ouch! Would be pretty cool if the Gophers beat Ohio State.

"It was a little bit weird, I'm not going to lie" Garcia said after seeing Battle. "... But I always wish the best for him."

As an aside, how fortunate it was Garcia and not Betts that Battle ran into. Dude would be missing his lunch money.

Bet it really was. Weird times indeed.

Thanks for posting. Seems as if Wisconsin has their NIL working also.

Last edited:

"Wisconsin returns all five starters, but a few of them reportedly turned down potentially bigger NIL paydays elsewhere to try to compete for a Big Ten title."

ohh, that was a good one. made some jack daniels come out my nose. closer to 11th like last year
Now look at the year before last...

Really hard to bash Bucky for their hoops and football results the last 25 years
Wish we had 1/10 of their success. No B10 titles since 1982 is ridiculous
not bashing their past. personally, i think they've dropped a bit in both football and basketball

Regarding the U's lack of titles - it's almost as if the administration isn't really trying

The Gard comment only exacerbates Battle leaving the U. 3 yrs in and talent leaving is the only constant. Well, that and losing. I suspect Coyle is interviewing and is leaving things as is cuz it is good policy.

not bashing their past. personally, i think they've dropped a bit in both football and basketball

Regarding the U's lack of titles - it's almost as if the administration isn't really trying

Agreed about slipping a bit in both sports but almost anyone would slip in basketball after losing a Hall of Fame coach.

Agree that they are no sure thing to surge this season with almost the same cast. The only thing that kept lowly us from beating them last season were undersized players guarding their bigs too often and, in the first game, our trademark bad free throw shooting.

Top Bottom