STrib: The sports fan experience might never be the same

For the State of Minnesota, the ultimate risk (death) is pretty clear.

- 80% of deaths related to Long-term Care Facility Residents (obviously serious Health Conditions)
- 99.2% of deaths have Pre-existing Health Conditions

I'm not the smartest guy, but I like to believe that some really smart people could figure out how to reopen the U and hold sporting events by isolating / protecting the highest at risk.

Sooner or later, we need to define a new NORMAL and move on.

My bet is later, whenever that is especially have watching HBO Real Sports this week. Interesting story on how much 1 well attended soccer match escalated the pandemic in Italy (well documented on other sources as well).

I wish more people understood this. Thank you for stating it so simply. I've lost count of how many people I've read saying "It mostly kills old people in nursing homes and those with underlying conditions, so why the hell is everybody overreacting?" Apparently, it's never dawned on these people that not being able to walk more than a block or two because of damaged lungs and/or heart and having to undergo regular kidney dialysis really are not conditions to be cavalier about.

Thank you for this clarity and wisdom

My bet is later, whenever that is especially have watching HBO Real Sports this week. Interesting story on how much 1 well attended soccer match escalated the pandemic in Italy (well documented on other sources as well).
People know these risks. It’s their own fault entirely, if they choose to ignore them.

Teams can make it fully known to the public that they don’t want any person who feels the risk is too high, to attend the game with limited, distanced seating.

At this point, I'd like to take a mulligan on next year

Assuming that there is a season next winter, I fully expect that the U will offer any season ticket holders who want or need a year away to do just that with no loss of seating priority, Gopher Score, etc. That will be true whether the reason is financial, health-related or some combination of the two. They know that this is an unprecedented event (at least in recent history) and will work with their customers on solutions that will permit you to continue your existing relationship. I would encourage you, or anyone similarly concerned, to reach out to the ticket office to discuss available alternatives.

People know these risks. It’s their own fault entirely, if they choose to ignore them.

Teams can make it fully known to the public that they don’t want any person who feels the risk is too high, to attend the game with limited, distanced seating.

Yes, but that is what lighted the brush fire that overwhelmed the Italian medical system. I just don't see mass sporting events & concerts being a thing again until mid 2021.

20-30% capacity? Maybe, if it can also make financial sense.

Yes, but that is what lighted the brush fire that overwhelmed the Italian medical system. I just don't see mass sporting events & concerts being a thing again until mid 2021.

20-30% capacity? Maybe, if it can also make financial sense.
Well there you go. Limited capacity sports makes financial sense, because of TV money.

Yep, I chuckle at the "no more handshakes, fist bumps, or bro hugs" crowd. Sure, for awhile we'll see a lot less of it, but time marches on, and we will, too. The end-of-the-world fear mongering will fade out eventually, and things will get back to normal.
Not if CNN can help it. I setup the CNN app for hourly “the end is near” headlines Entertainment. It’s either the end of the world each hour, or a Trump gotcha headline.

Well there you go. Limited capacity sports makes financial sense, because of TV money.

Limited capacity would drastically impact the fan experience, the original topic of this thread. It may also impact the financial experience. Would face value change? Secondary market? Is it worth the effort to staff the event?

Actually, if you understand informed consent, we still dont know enough to make that decision, nor do the schools concerning their student athletes. Pro sports will come back first for that reason. I know its very hard to say we don't know yet - harder for some than others - but much remains to be seen. We still dont know if we will see a reduction in cases during the warm weather as we do with influenza.

Assuming that there is a season next winter, I fully expect that the U will offer any season ticket holders who want or need a year away to do just that with no loss of seating priority, Gopher Score, etc. That will be true whether the reason is financial, health-related or some combination of the two. They know that this is an unprecedented event (at least in recent history) and will work with their customers on solutions that will permit you to continue your existing relationship. I would encourage you, or anyone similarly concerned, to reach out to the ticket office to discuss available alternatives.
Great idea. I think I will contact them.

Limited capacity would drastically impact the fan experience, the original topic of this thread. It may also impact the financial experience. Would face value change? Secondary market? Is it worth the effort to staff the event?
Fan experience, obviously.

Financial experience -- isn't something more than zero? Last I checked, it is. Therefore, if there is any chance that they can play football, even with no fans but full TV money, they'll do it.

Actually, if you understand informed consent, we still dont know enough to make that decision, nor do the schools concerning their student athletes. Pro sports will come back first for that reason. I know its very hard to say we don't know yet - harder for some than others - but much remains to be seen. We still dont know if we will see a reduction in cases during the warm weather as we do with influenza.
We don't know enough to make what decision?

Fan experience, obviously.

Financial experience -- isn't something more than zero? Last I checked, it is. Therefore, if there is any chance that they can play football, even with no fans but full TV money, they'll do it.

Just to clarify, by financial experience again I was talking from a fans perspective. Will a typical fan, even one willing to accept the health risk (to themselves or others they may be in contact within the next 2 days - 2 weeks), be priced out from going was what I was driving at if capacity is only 20-30%.

Just to clarify, by financial experience again I was talking from a fans perspective. Will a typical fan, even one willing to accept the health risk (to themselves or others they may be in contact within the next 2 days - 2 weeks), be priced out from going was what I was driving at if capacity is only 20-30%.
I misunderstood. My understanding is that the athletic would make no attempt to sell tickets at 10x the price if say seating capacity was only at 10%. They would just eat the lost ticket revenues this year and hope for the best in 2021.

Top Bottom