STrib: Sam Mitchell wants Gophers basketball job, calls program a 'hidden gem'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Former Timberwolves coach Sam Mitchell said he's interested in the Gophers basketball coaching job, calling the program a "hidden gem" in the Big Ten.

Mitchell, who was the Wolves interim coach in 2015-16, believes he could take advantage of the strong high school talent in Minnesota and recruit nationally to help the program take the next step.

"I'm not interested in the University of Minnesota just to have a job," Mitchell, who works for NBATV, told the Star Tribune. "I want to compete for Big Ten championships and national championships."

Go Gophers!!

It's been said that if he was the choice, he would have already been hired... I tend to agree with that.

The last time the Gophers had to hire a head coach, they did end up scraping the bottom of the barrel for someone to hire. I suppose Sam is hoping that's what happens this time. If the usual suspects, such as Musselman, Gates, Dutcher, Smith, Moser etc. all turn down the job... There's Sam with open arms, begging for the gig.

Sounds good, but it's been a few years since he was in the nba, and this college... I don't know man

I obviously don’t know but my impression from far away is that Sam has integrity.
Kat was much more upset when Mitchell was replaced than Saunders.
Sam was NBA Coach of the Year. Sam coached for Penny one year. My impression was he didn’t like the things going on in the background so he left before the cops showed up...so to speak.
I’d interview Sam.
Guessing he’d be half the price of Muss and easier to sell, right now, than several other candidates for several reasons.

Sam Mitchell can coach basketball and he would make Gooher basketball a priority in this state. He wouldn't use us as a stepping stone, or be looking for the next best gig or use us for a pay raise. Players would play defense under Sam, and box out. Kids would graduate and develop roo. Head coaches don't just fall off trees. He would bring good connections for assistants too. I hope Coyle at least gives him a phone call.

Sam Mitchell can coach basketball and he would make Gooher basketball a priority in this state. He wouldn't use us as a stepping stone, or be looking for the next best gig or use us for a pay raise. Players would play defense under Sam, and box out. Kids would graduate and develop roo. Head coaches don't just fall off trees. He would bring good connections for assistants too. I hope Coyle at least gives him a phone call.
Duke should fire K and hire him. He sounds awesome!

I love the fact that Sam Mitchell always got the most out of his talent on the court and he seems like a good dude. Nevertheless he is pretty much the definition of too old school. He was NBA coach of the year with the raptors but his intensity wore out his welcome fast.

I love the fact that Sam Mitchell always got the most out of his talent on the court and he seems like a good dude. Nevertheless he is pretty much the definition of too old school. He was NBA coach of the year with the raptors but his intensity wore out his welcome fast.
He was coach of the year in 2007. Not saying he can’t coach but that is a long time ago. Things have changed in 14 years

Duke should fire K and hire him. He sounds awesome!
Womp womp wah wah. Sarcasm aside he is a good basketball coach. Intensity, old school what is wrong with setting high expectations, and pushing people to be better. If not kissing your ass is too old school, then I'm in favor. Coaches are supposed to make you better and more accountable.

Wasn’t there some talk of Sam not relating well to younger players his last season there? That might be a problem in college

Marcus wrote a good article, what is wrong with having a coach that would have passion for your school, and want to win a conference championship, setting the bar high? Coyle said he didn't come to Minnesota to be average or mediocre. I like Sam Mutchell I may metrical minority, but I think he would be a great leader for our basketball program and hire great assistants.

This wouldn't be my first choice but his NBA connections certainly is a bonus. As much as we like to think x number of Fortune 500 companies, only D1 school in the State, great urban campus, historic arena, etc. etc. all matter to recruits......the number one factor for the kids we need to compete is a pathway to the NBA. Most of them want to play basketball more than anything. Mitchell certainly can speak to that more than others.

NBA players don’t respond to intensity. College players are a little different. Especially if the top players go different routes besides college.

By that logic we should be looking at every former NBA coach. We aren't, because it is a mediocre idea. If Mitchell didn't have history with the Wolves no one would be considering it. I mean he has what...1 year of college experience?

This is people hedging their bets because they are scared no one will take the job.

He was coach of the year in 2007. Not saying he can’t coach but that is a long time ago. Things have changed in 14 years
Yes, exactly. Like I said, his style wore out his welcome fast. Not sure if you remember the story but he got up in Vince Carter's face and Vince ended up body slamming him.

Wasn’t there some talk of Sam not relating well to younger players his last season there? That might be a problem in college
As I mentioned below, he actually ended up in a physical confrontation with Vince Carter. It did not end well for Sam...

NBA players don’t respond to intensity. College players are a little different. Especially if the top players go different routes besides college.
You could be right and maybe he has changed over the years. Again, I really like the guy, even got a chance to tell him that when I ran into him on the street.

I don't think he will be the coach, and he would not be at the top of the list. But...at least he has the right attitude about this job. I want a coach who thinks we should be competing for B1G Titles and National Titles. Not to be a little better than Pitino or compete at the level of the middle of the B1G.

Old school seems to work in college basketball though. I think his on court style would fit the big ten just fine.

Too green on the college scene for my liking though. Richard had more college experience than Sam.

Top Bottom