STrib: Rick Rickert talks about the time Kevin Garnett punched him

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Thanks to a D-League Diary interview with Rickert that was published today we at least have a more complete and honest picture of what happened from his perspective. Said Rickert in that interview:

“I was a rookie proving myself and going in there and giving it my all. He was the reigning MVP at the time and I was going in there and not holding back and I was playing well and for whatever reason he didn’t like that. Maybe I hit a jumper on him but he sucker punched me. All I can think of is I was playing better than he expected and he didn’t like that I was playing so well against him. Growing up he was a guy I looked at and thought was a good player, so going into playing against him I wouldn’t back down from a challenge. I guess he didn’t like that.”

And, well, the piece ends with a little Q&A:

Who was your favorite player growing up?

When it was the early 90’s it was definitely Michael Jordan, but as I got a little bit older it was Kevin Garnett. Obviously that changed a little bit later on in life.

http://www.startribune.com/rick-rickert-talks-about-the-time-kevin-garnett-punched-him/320963661/

Go Gophers!!

I want to hear about the El-Amin, Archambault fight again, no, not really. Rickert had some offensive skills but seemed to lack what made a guy like Garnett an MVP. Garnett'S rep as a chippy, trash talking player is pretty common knowledge.

KG was a coward, but he was our coward.

KG was a coward, but he was our coward.

BS

So the story (from Rickert) is that Rickert's play was "too good" that day and pissed off KG to the point he punched him?

I used to work for the Wolves, and Rickert is not telling the truth here. I wasn't with the team then, but let's just say that is a revisionist history.

By the time Flip and McHale were running the show, KG was another coach on the team (for all practical purposes). During practice, Flip would be working with guards, McHale with bigs and KG running scenarios with different players. KG would be in full sweat, working with veterans, rookies, FAs...anybody in the gym, getting them into the right spots and teaching them where they want the ball, when the want the ball, and where to move for every set. It was amazing to watch.

KG is tough, demands he teammates step up. But he did not "sucker punch" Rickert. Rickert was trying to prove he was tough enough to be in the NBA, and got (rightfully) bitch-slapped by the reigning MVP.

Where did he end up with his career if he "embarrassed" KG?

KG Is one of the toughest and meanest players to ever play. Far from being a coward

Lol KG has been called a fake tough guy by countless NBA players, media members, etc. he may work hard (he obviously does) but his "I'm so tough" demeanor is taken as a joke by much of the league.

Garnett a tough guy? Please!

His stint with the Wolves had him cowering in the corner in most every tight game in the 4th quarter. He would not take the game over, as he had often done earlier in games. He'd shy away from the big shot, routinely! That's historical fact.

That he'd punch a rookie teammate speaks volumes as to his character. The ONLY thing that somewhat redeemed him throughout the league was his happy landing in Boston, where there were enough gamers and big moment guys (Rondo, Allen, and especially Paul Pierce) around him that he got a ring. Otherwise he'd have gone down in NBA lore as a loser...a talented and gutless one at that. Rickert's account is totally in keeping with what we've seen and heard of KG throughout.

Garnett a tough guy? Please!

His stint with the Wolves had him cowering in the corner in most every tight game in the 4th quarter. He would not take the game over, as he had often done earlier in games. He'd shy away from the big shot, routinely! That's historical fact.

That he'd punch a rookie teammate speaks volumes as to his character. The ONLY thing that somewhat redeemed him throughout the league was his happy landing in Boston, where there were enough gamers and big moment guys (Rondo, Allen, and especially Paul Pierce) around him that he got a ring. Otherwise he'd have gone down in NBA lore as a loser...a talented and gutless one at that. Rickert's account is totally in keeping with what we've seen and heard of KG throughout.

Yeah really not taking the game over smh. Basically won the Timberwolves the biggest game in the history of their franchise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1VtZht_8t4

Rickert should have went to Arizona. Playing too good? right what a career Rickert had. A loser at every level.

I have never met Rickert in person but he seemed like a nice kid when he was a gopher. To call him a loser is pretty harsh. He played fairly well for us when he was here. He was just too slow to play small forward and not strong enough to play power forward in the NBA

I have never met Rickert in person but he seemed like a nice kid when he was a gopher. To call him a loser is pretty harsh. He played fairly well for us when he was here. He was just too slow to play small forward and not strong enough to play power forward in the NBA

He'd probably have been the perfect PF for today's NBA. He's had a pretty long career over seas. That's a lot more than many players can say.

A little harsh perhaps. Never could understand he went into the draft and was taken at the very end of the second maybe a sympathy pick by the Wolves. He felt he would be a first round pick? He either got bad advice or hated school. In the next two year he may have had a chance for that guaranteed NBA first round money. He seemed to think he was an NBA two guard.

BS

So the story (from Rickert) is that Rickert's play was "too good" that day and pissed off KG to the point he punched him?

I used to work for the Wolves, and Rickert is not telling the truth here. I wasn't with the team then, but let's just say that is a revisionist history.

By the time Flip and McHale were running the show, KG was another coach on the team (for all practical purposes). During practice, Flip would be working with guards, McHale with bigs and KG running scenarios with different players. KG would be in full sweat, working with veterans, rookies, FAs...anybody in the gym, getting them into the right spots and teaching them where they want the ball, when the want the ball, and where to move for every set. It was amazing to watch.

KG is tough, demands he teammates step up. But he did not "sucker punch" Rickert. Rickert was trying to prove he was tough enough to be in the NBA, and got (rightfully) bitch-slapped by the reigning MVP.
Where did he end up with his career if he "embarrassed" KG?

I don't care who was to blame for the above situation, but it is a now a well known fact that KG was indeed a coward, cheapshot artist, or punk at times (whichever title fits) according to many players and coaches-the people that matter. All of it is on film to watch for yourself. There was also a lengthy article written about this as well.

I still root for the guy because l'm a Wolves fan, but the hit and run tactics were lame. I assume he did these things because he got soooo hyped that he couldn't handle it when things didn't go his way.

Rickert was a year or two late. 2000 was the height of the high school draftees. Economically he should have gone pro as a high school senior or a freshman. He waited too long and then came out too soon. He would have been better off waiting at that point.

I wish he would speak as to why he decided to go pro as a sophomore. There is a story there that has never been reported.

Garnet is one of the biggest pussy's to ever play in the NBA. A prototype bully who'd fold like a house of cards if you pushed back. Yes, if you were a White fringe player, a European skill guy, under 6'4" or he could cheap shot you from behind, then he was a tough guy. Anyone in his own weight class & he'd run like a beeyatch. Antonio McDyess anyone? Ron Artest? Anthony Peeler? Carmelo Anthony? Funny how he never wanted to get into it with those willing combatants. Even Dwight Howard slapped KG in the face. Dwight Howard!

[video]http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/1/14/7539949/kevin-garnett-fight-sad-bully[/video]

Top Bottom