STrib: Richard Pitino's job appears to be safe despite troubles on and off the court

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

Despite another blast of embarrassment last week to the Gophers men’s basketball team, coach Richard Pitino likely will be given the opportunity to turn the program around.

The 33-year-old has lost some fans and boosters in this season of historically bad basketball and troubling off-court incidents, but several Star Tribune interviews last week revealed support in some high places in and around the university has not greatly eroded.

Even more foretelling of Pitino’s return is his contract, which calls for $7 million in buyout payments should the university fire him this offseason. Norwood Teague — in one of his last acts as athletic director before resigning due to accusations of sexual harassment by two university employees — signed Pitino to a two-year extension this past summer that both gave the coach a raise and more than doubled the buyout terms, increasing them by a whopping $4 million.

“Seven million is a good chunk of change, no doubt about it,” University of Minnesota Board of Regents chairman Dean Johnson said. “Does it weigh into the equation? I would guess it does.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...pite-troubles-on-and-off-the-court/371174971/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Despite the recent mishaps with the Gophers men’s basketball program, plans are for Minnesota to retain men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino, 33, for next season, which will be his fourth with the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

per Amelia:

Despite another blast of embarrassment last week to the Gophers men’s basketball team, coach Richard Pitino likely will be given the opportunity to turn the program around.

The 33-year-old has lost some fans and boosters in this season of historically bad basketball and troubling off-court incidents, but several Star Tribune interviews last week revealed support in some high places in and around the university has not greatly eroded.

Even more foretelling of Pitino’s return is his contract, which calls for $7 million in buyout payments should the university fire him this offseason. Norwood Teague — in one of his last acts as athletic director before resigning due to accusations of sexual harassment by two university employees — signed Pitino to a two-year extension this past summer that both gave the coach a raise and more than doubled the buyout terms, increasing them by a whopping $4 million.

“Seven million is a good chunk of change, no doubt about it,” University of Minnesota Board of Regents chairman Dean Johnson said. “Does it weigh into the equation? I would guess it does.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...pite-troubles-on-and-off-the-court/371174971/

Go Gophers!!

From the Strib article..

Johnson(Damien) said he and his teammates had more than a few of those moments themselves — incidents that never leaked to the media — despite what he described as rigid rules.

“Tubby Smith ran a pretty tight-knit culture, where if you got in trouble, you knew it could be the end of you,” he said. “We were afraid of that, but things still happened.

This doesn't say that Pitino hasn't run a tight ship...I'm sure he wasn't happy about what happened. I don't blame Pitino for this happening....

Just thought I would throw it out there......most people don't read the links.

Top Bottom