STrib: Plitzuweit Sees Opportunity

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

As of Tuesday, Plitzuweit was noncommittal on her plans about who would replace Braun in the starting lineup. But she did identify three players whose roles will likely grow.

Sanders, who has been the first guard off the bench, could move into the starting lineup. This season Sanders has appeared in all 20 games, averaging 5.3 points and 1.5 assists.

"Sanders will have an increased role for us, in a lot of different ways," Plitzuweit said. "She needs to make plays for us."

Others? Plitzuweit mentioned junior wing Maggie Czinano, whose minutes will grow. And Nia Holloway, who will play more and, perhaps, a bit differently. She has been primarily a backup in the post, but the Gophers may need her to play more on the perimeter, especially on defense.

While these were the obvious choices it’s unlikely they will fill that void. Braun did more than score. Czinano and Holloway aren’t shooting guards, and heaven only knows what Sanders will do. But one thing for sure, she will dribble incessantly and the offense will bog down watching her!

I am excited to see Janay get some more meaningful minutes. She has a lot of spunk and drive. As the season has progressed, she’s gotten better at dishing the ball sooner, and then rolling to the basket and getting open. And her on-ball defense is really good. She definitely makes a difference when she’s out there.

I'm interested to see what and where Holloway's minutes will come. With-out seeing her in any practices, and just limited minutes in the post, I'm curious if she might be capable of guarding a 3 out on the perimeter occasionally. She's long, athletic and fairly quick (at least in the post). My impression this season so far is that she's more of a 4 than a 5, but again, I haven't seen all the different things they might have her doing in practice every day.

Although no one player can make up for Braun's loss, something tells me that Maggie might surprise us a little. Feels like the staff wanted her to concentrate on playing D and rebounding in her reserve role. Wondering she might become a more efficient scorer if the staff asks her to look for that more than she has so far.

One thing that is a little concerning is the fact that, with-out Braun on the floor, how opponents defensive game plans will affect players like Battle and Heyer.

Any coaches or ex-coaches thinking along those lines?

Top Bottom