Strib: Parking Wars on Gophers football game day

And the city of Minneapolis is probably paying these inspectors overtime on Saturdays to drive around and try to bust people. Great use of city tax dollars, isn't it.

I love the new stadium, love the atmosphere, but I had a feeling from the day the stadium construction was approved that the U and Mpls would figure out ways to screw things up. Per the STrib article, it sounds as if the Mpls City people go out of their way to make parking more difficullt, and the U has certainly made their mark with the limited tailgating around the stadium and the issues with the stadium gates and shuttles back and forth to Saint Paul. All of it makes both Mpls and the U look foolish and not ready for big time college football.

The Asian Restaurant guy had the best point. He is paying taxes through the nose, gets gamedays all screwed up for business to the point he has to "staff" the parking lot either way, and Big Brother says he can't make a couple bucks from it.

I love the new stadium, love the atmosphere, but I had a feeling from the day the stadium construction was approved that the U and Mpls would figure out ways to screw things up. Per the STrib article, it sounds as if the Mpls City people go out of their way to make parking more difficullt, and the U has certainly made their mark with the limited tailgating around the stadium and the issues with the stadium gates and shuttles back and forth to Saint Paul. All of it makes both Mpls and the U look foolish and not ready for big time college football.

So the U trying to maximize profits from limited parking isn't big time football? That's exactly what big time programs do. Also, do you think the City gives two s**ts about whether they look "ready for big time college football"? The City doesn't care. If they did, they wouldn't have pouted and put up a fight over closing Oak St during games.

The U has plenty of things to work on, but the City being a**holes about parking isn't on the U.

As a season ticket holder I have no complaints with the City or U. Expectations of some people need to change if they think by getting to the gate at 10:45 they will be in their seats by kickoff. How much did the rain contribute to everyone getting to the gates at 10:45? What can the U do if everyone waits until the last moment to go to the gate?

As far as parking I have no complaints there either. Traffic has been great getting in and out since everyone knows where their parking spot is. The traffic moves better for football than both basketball and hockey and I believe the reason is due to people having site specific spots. We don't have people aimlessly driving around campus looking for a lot.

I feel bad about U Garden not getting business between 11 - 2, but how much business did they get in this time slot before a stadium was on campus? Weekends were dead around there so it's not like they are experiencing a dramatic reduction. They are probably in line with their past experience.

What an absolute joke...the City is doing a great job of making football on campus difficult...my god, please don't let the local business man make a couple of extra bucks.

How many of you paid for parking in one of these lots for basketball or hockey games?....I certainly have, and now the city wants it stopped because of football.

Here is an idea...have each business submit to the city a layout of their parking lots and exactly how many spaces they intend to fill each home game for all sports. Then, the business owner is required to pay a TAX of 15% of all parking revenue to the city. It is not much of a revenue maker for the city, but it is something and I bet it would place some control on the business owners. Better yet, why doesn't that 15% go back to the athletic departments scholarship fund.

And finally, lets hope the city can find a way to close down University Ave for a brief time before the game so the band can march down the street.

What an absolute joke...the City is doing a great job of making football on campus difficult...my god, please don't let the local business man make a couple of extra bucks.

How many of you paid for parking in one of these lots for basketball or hockey games?....I certainly have, and now the city wants it stopped because of football.

Here is an idea...have each business submit to the city a layout of their parking lots and exactly how many spaces they intend to fill each home game for all sports. Then, the business owner is required to pay a TAX of 15% of all parking revenue to the city. It is not much of a revenue maker for the city, but it is something and I bet it would place some control on the business owners. Better yet, why doesn't that 15% go back to the athletic departments scholarship fund.

And finally, lets hope the city can find a way to close down University Ave for a brief time before the game so the band can march down the street.

This last one is not happening. There are new traditions in place and that's not going to change. I'll gladly eat crow if it does but you're better off prepping yourself for the disappointment now.

So the U trying to maximize profits from limited parking isn't big time football? That's exactly what big time programs do. Also, do you think the City gives two s**ts about whether they look "ready for big time college football"? The City doesn't care. If they did, they wouldn't have pouted and put up a fight over closing Oak St during games.

The U has plenty of things to work on, but the City being a**holes about parking isn't on the U.

I did not say that the parking was on the U. I have parked in the ramps a couple times already this year and it worked out fine. I said the tailgating, shuttle and stadium issues are on the U, and the parking is on Mpls. Both entities have dropped the ball in my opinion. Please read my post completely before you choose to rip it apart.

I did not say that the parking was on the U. I have parked in the ramps a couple times already this year and it worked out fine. I said the tailgating, shuttle and stadium issues are on the U, and the parking is on Mpls. Both entities have dropped the ball in my opinion. Please read my postly completely before you choose to rip it apart.

I did read it completely, but I should have highlighted the part that bugged me which was the limited tailgating around the stadium section. I apologize for that and for complaining about you "putting the City's nonsense on the U" which you weren't doing. I still don't get why people are upset about this...I think the U made 1 big mistake, and that was not having another donation level under the $1000 level so that the lots would be more full. But making people pony up for the best parking is completely in line with what "big time programs" do. I just don't see how the U handled East Bank parking makes them seem unready for big time college football.

I'm taking my dad to the game tomorrow and was going to try to just park at some business that's charging to use their lot (I just assumed that would be available since that has been my experience at other college football games). But after reading this article, I'm not so sure I should even try that.

Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to find a place to park relatively close to campus (I'm willing to walk a fair distance) or should I just park in the West Bank ramps and take the shuttle?

I'm taking my dad to the game tomorrow and was going to try to just park at some business that's charging to use their lot (I just assumed that would be available since that has been my experience at other college football games). But after reading this article, I'm not so sure I should even try that.

Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to find a place to park relatively close to campus (I'm willing to walk a fair distance) or should I just park in the West Bank ramps and take the shuttle?

West Bank ramps with the shuttle has proven to be a nice option for folks I know. Others had mentioned parking to the East of the stadium on University and walking over but I don't know how that's working out for them.

Random OT thought...Your moniker got me thinking about how nice it will be for non-tailgating folks when they get the Central Corrider LRT running (especially for folks in the South Metro).

GoAUpher,

First, thanks for that information. Yea, I thought about taking light rail (I live near Minnehaha Falls) to the Metrodome and then taking the bus to campus too. That will be even easier once the Central Corridor is done. My wife and I went to the Cal game and rode our bikes to the stadium, which was a GREAT experience! Won't be doing that tomorrow with my dad (even if the weather was good, the old man isn't up for a bike ride, me thinks).

If anyone knows how workable parking somewhere near/on Univeristy east of the stadium has been, that'd be great. I assumed business owners along there would be charging to park and that was going to be my first place to try, east of the stadium.

As a season ticket holder I have no complaints with the City or U. Expectations of some people need to change if they think by getting to the gate at 10:45 they will be in their seats by kickoff. How much did the rain contribute to everyone getting to the gates at 10:45? What can the U do if everyone waits until the last moment to go to the gate?

As far as parking I have no complaints there either. Traffic has been great getting in and out since everyone knows where their parking spot is. The traffic moves better for football than both basketball and hockey and I believe the reason is due to people having site specific spots. We don't have people aimlessly driving around campus looking for a lot.

I feel bad about U Garden not getting business between 11 - 2, but how much business did they get in this time slot before a stadium was on campus? Weekends were dead around there so it's not like they are experiencing a dramatic reduction. They are probably in line with their past experience.

What does any of this have to do with Arby's & U Garden and the fact that they aren't allowed to sell parking spots & gain business? Why does it matter what their business was before a stadium came between 11 & 2?

It's simply the market at play here: the U over priced the East Bank parking in certain spots & people didn't pay for it. Now a different option & price comes in that people are willing to pay & choose. Unfortunately, the City & the U doesn't like the results.

And as a small business owner, don't even get me started on the private property aspect of the entire situation.

I have parked twice in the ramp to the east of Moos Hall and have had no problem getting a spot. I think it is $20, or at least it was last week. I arrived at about 9:15 am last week and it was still open for parking. From there, it is about 3-5 blocks to the stadium.

What does any of this have to do with Arby's & U Garden and the fact that they aren't allowed to sell parking spots & gain business? Why does it matter what their business was before a stadium came between 11 & 2?

It's simply the market at play here: the U over priced the East Bank parking in certain spots & people didn't pay for it. Now a different price comes in that people are willing to pay. Unfortunately, the City & the U doesn't like the results.

And as a small business owner, don't even get me started on the private property aspect of the entire situation.

While I'm sure the U would prefer that people give them money, why in the world do you think the U and the City are in cahoots on this? The City has been a thorn in the U's side throughout this process so what about this story suggests that they are colluding so that the U gets more parking money? This strikes me as the City being arrogant and stupid. Exceptions could be made to allow for this parking if the City wants...whether they will or not...

Also, the lots that the U overpriced (tailgating lots) would never have been available for single game parking anyway.

Thanks GopherBeef, I thought all ramps on the East Bank were for season tickets holders who had paid for passes. Was this ramp a UofM ramp or a business?

Aside from the fact the City of Minneapolis must have more important things to do, I think they're targeting the one segment of the local population that would actually pay the fine. I"m guessing fine collections from vagrants, junkies and dope dealers are nearly nonexistent.

While I'm sure the U would prefer that people give them money, why in the world do you think the U and the City are in cahoots on this? The City has been a thorn in the U's side throughout this process so what about this story suggests that they are colluding so that the U gets more parking money? This strikes me as the City being arrogant and stupid. Exceptions could be made to allow for this parking if the City wants...whether they will or not...

Also, the lots that the U overpriced (tailgating lots) would never have been available for single game parking anyway.

Because if people are wanting to park at U Garden for $25 instead of parking in St. Paul, or the other options that are suggested for single game parking, it's simply money that isn't going to the U and is lost revenue.

I think that lots of people saw the tailgate lot donation amounts required and "forget that. There are other options." I know that I assumed that places like U Garden, Arby's, or the service station across the street from Sally's that has provided parking for basketball & hockey games for years, along with people's front lawns would be an option. I'm sure others did as well and came to the conclussion "no need to tailgate, we'll park close & hit up beer gardens."

And honestly, I'm not in this group. I have an RV parking season pass and was willing to pay what I paid. And I'll do it again next year.

I agree that the real villian is the city of Minneapolis. I just believe the U is a bit more involved than you think.

Last weekend, my son parked east of TCF just off University ave. for $10. He said it was about a 10 minute walk and the guy had a gated lot.

Because if people are wanting to park at U Garden for $25 instead of parking in St. Paul, or the other options that are suggested for single game parking, it's simply money that isn't going to the U and is lost revenue.

I think that lots of people saw the tailgate lot donation amounts required and "forget that. There are other options." I know that I assumed that places like U Garden, Arby's, or the service station across the street from Sally's that has provided parking for basketball & hockey games for years, along with people's front lawns would be an option. I'm sure others did as well and came to the conclussion "no need to tailgate, we'll park close & hit up beer gardens."

And honestly, I'm not in this group. I have an RV parking season pass and was willing to pay what I paid. And I'll do it again next year.

I agree that the real villian is the city of Minneapolis. I just believe the U is a bit more involved than you think.

The reason I'm still inclined to disagree is that there are still plenty of ramp spots available on the EB that the U chose not to open up for single game parking. The U has the means to corner the drive up market on the EB if they want. Thus far, they've chosen not to.

Regardless, neither of us can prove or disprove the other. And like you said, we can all agree that the City is stupid and clearly the villain of this little tale. :)

Don't tell Ricardo Cervantes that, Bayfield & Minnehaha....you may not be able to park there after this Saturday.

The reason I'm still inclined to disagree is that there are still plenty of ramp spots available on the EB that the U chose not to open up for single game parking. The U has the means to corner the drive up market on the EB if they want. Thus far, they've chosen not to.

Regardless, neither of us can prove or disprove the other. And like you said, we can all agree that the City is stupid and clearly the villain of this little tale. :)

I'd say that's because the U can't go back after they established the guidelines at the start of the process. Once they set their price levels, donations, & rules, they kind of had to dance with the girl they brought, so to speak.

But no matter, you're right, neither of us can prove or disprove the other and we know who the ring leader is in this fiasco: the city of Minneapolis. All hail Ricardo Cervantes!! :clap:

I'd say that's because the U can't go back after they established the guidelines at the start of the process. Once they set their price levels, donations, & rules, they kind of had to dance with the girl they brought, so to speak.

But no matter, you're right, neither of us can prove or disprove the other and we know who the ring leader is in this fiasco: the city of Minneapolis. All hail Ricardo Cervantes!! :clap:

Seriously. This guy just sounds like a tight-a** bureaucrat who is all too happy to aggressively enforce every little thing. Aka, a Fun-Hater extraordinaire.

Hopefully the U learns from this season and dances to a new tune (I'll keep with your metaphor) by selling same day parking in non-donation ramps for the same price as the per game rate paid by a season ticket holder while also changing up the donation structure for the tailgate lots.

the city rezoned these lots..

also in the article they mention that it's zoned for less parking so they can get more pedestrians, bicycles, etc.. in there before the light rail gets built in a few years. how stupid is that thinking?? yet another example of the bulls#$t global warming idiots working in our government.
as much as i love spending time in minneapolis, stories like this really make you realize how much time city workers and council members have on their hands. thank god i'm not and will not ever be a government employee. i actually want to be productive when i'm at work. sorry if that statement offends anybody.

also in the article they mention that it's zoned for less parking so they can get more pedestrians, bicycles, etc.. in there before the light rail gets built in a few years. how stupid is that thinking?? yet another example of the bulls#$t global warming idiots working in our government.
as much as i love spending time in minneapolis, stories like this really make you realize how much time city workers and council members have on their hands. thank god i'm not and will not ever be a government employee. i actually want to be productive when i'm at work. sorry if that statement offends anybody.

Which is why you're on the internet ?

This whole thing is so wrong

Alright, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one upset about the whole parking fiasco.

Without a doubt, the U and the city of Minneapolis are working together to keep people from parking in private lots. For years these lots have been charging for Gopher hoops and hockey and now that we have a new football stadium, here comes the law enforcement...

I've tailgated for the first two weeks in a private lot, but the city basically came up with a way to attack the lot owner every week. First, they said that they couldn't charge for the lot. Then, they said that they had taken pictures of illegal consumption.

I know regulations are regulations, but how the hell can someone on one side of the street be able to drink because the U says it's ok and on the other side of the street you can't drink because it's a private lot. This is so wrong.

The city specifies a specific zone around the metrodome which allows lots to tailgate. The city needs to expand this zone to include the area around TCF stadium.

I have contacted the city and they basically wouldn't really listen to me since I'm not a resident of Minneapolis. So, please, those of you that live in Minneapolis, contact your city representatives and get a bill proposed to allow these lots in this area to allow parking and to allow tailgating in these lots.

This new stadium was supposed to be this great thing and I was excited to get back on campus, but so many issues with getting into the building, waiting for food, and now trying to monopolize the parking and tailgating... If the team doesn't get a lot better real soon, I'll be giving up my season tickets that I've had for like 20 years.

iceland12

i have to admit that you had a good comeback there. good thing i work evenings otherwise that would've hit pretty close to home.

Top Bottom