STrib: Northwestern's scheme will test Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

The story of Northwestern’s 4-0 start has been more about its defense than its offense.

The No. 16 Wildcats rank 99th in the nation in scoring offense at 25 points per game, with victories over Stanford (16-6) and Duke (19-10), two teams with strong defenses.

“The biggest challenge with Northwestern is they’re a very well-oiled machine on offense,” Gophers senior cornerback Eric Murray said. “They have a lot of concepts they run, and if you don’t have those concepts, big things can happen to you on defense.”

The Gophers (3-1) will need to overcome their injuries and be ready Saturday when they visit Evanston, Ill., to face Northwestern in their Big Ten opener.

Defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys explained the Wildcats run a no-huddle offense with four or five different personnel groupings. Northwestern quickly alternates between using zero, one or two running backs, and one or two tight ends.

http://www.startribune.com/northwestern-s-scheme-will-test-gophers/330356121/

Go Gophers!!

I hope we can adjust to their scheme quicker than Tubby could adjust to the 1-4-1 zone against their basketball team :eek:

I like Pitino, but to be fair Tubby never lost to the nerds at home. Anyways Kill and Clays adjusted pretty well the past two years and even the two losses could have gone either way. I expect another close hard fought game tomorrow

Top Bottom