STrib: New Gophers offensive coordinator Jay Johnson still wired like a quarterback

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

“As a play caller, I think through the eyes of the quarterback,” Johnson said. “I’m always thinking, ‘If I’m out there, and I’ve got the ball in my hands, and this coach is asking me to do this, how am I going to respond?’ ”

Johnson, 46, arrived with a small-world connection to Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner. When Leidner was at Lakeville South, his quarterbacks coach was Johnson’s father, Dick.

Now, after seven months of working together, Leidner and the younger Johnson have forged their own relationship.

Leidner appreciates Johnson’s ability to keep things simple. Last week, the senior told ESPN.com: “There’s no question that [consistency] is going to improve immensely. Because last year we were changing up game plans every single week, and we were coming in with 100 new plays and guys’ heads would be spinning. We wouldn’t be able to practice at full speed. It was just tough.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-johnson-still-wired-like-a-qb/389390931/

Go Gophers!!

“We need to be more diverse in what we do,” Claeys said. “If you look at the film, if there were two backs in the game, we were running it. And if there was one back in the game, we were throwing it. I think we have to mix things up in that regard.”

Uh, yeah.

sometimes when you continue to do the same things over and over, yes you can become very efficient ---that is until you play someone who has more talent. Then all of a sudden those "new" plays become your answer to what your opponent is doing. Chess match. That's what we (I) hope that our new OC has the answers to counter what the defense is doing. Can the Gophers counter the defensive strength by changing personnel or even changing alignment. Time will tell.

Top Bottom