STrib: New Gophers coordinator Mike Sanford to make $625,000 first year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

New Gophers offensive coordinator Mike Sanford Jr. will have his contract reviewed at next week's Board of Regents meeting.

His deal, which runs through Jan. 31, 2022, will pay him $625,000 his first year and $650,000 his second year. His buyout is $125,000.

Go Gophers!!

What does Simon make?

I could feed my family with that.

per Megan:

New Gophers offensive coordinator Mike Sanford Jr. will have his contract reviewed at next week's Board of Regents meeting.

His deal, which runs through Jan. 31, 2022, will pay him $625,000 his first year and $650,000 his second year. His buyout is $125,000.

Go Gophers!!
Pretty sure that that is more than his dad made at UNLV as head coach several years ago. Let's hope that the son's experience in Dinkytown is more successful than his dad's was at UNLV.

Clearly much disdain for Sanford on the threads that were posted above. One post that I clearly disagreed with was the one complaining about running the ball draining the clock type drives. Keeps your defense off the field, rested and ready to go.

One post that I was concerned about where he said to the public was that the players didn't come to play. Was a bit discerning hearing that he talks to the public like that. No doubt perhaps players need a little chewing out when warranted, but talking to the public is another story.

At least those fans complain about plays that didn't work.

It will be an adjustment in life after Kirk Ciarrocca.

What we hope for is a synergy of the Ciarrocca/Simon passing scheme and the involvement of TEs to take advantage of different types of Defensive alignments where the TE can bust the backs of Defenses with an expanded RPO repertoire.

One thing that we will miss is the great QB evaluation and recruiting of Ciarrocca. He led us to Morgan. For sure Jacobs and Kaliakmanis too. I don't know how capable Simon is at QB talent evaluation yet, or whether he was shadowing Ciarrocca during the recruiting of QBs. It is not a knock against him. It is too bad Simon did not have an extra year with Ciarrocca.

We will soon find out how changes will affect the Gophers Offense. My hunch is that there may or may not be a rough transition. The important thing is the base Gopher RPO is intact, and the culture under Fleck.

My hunch is that Simon and Sanford will be fine.

This is the good and bad of coaching changes.

Terrible advice from CC there....”get a fall guy.” How about...don’t do stupid shit that might cost you you’re career. If you do, and get busted, don’t come crying to me.

Sanford: $625K
Simon: $380K
CO-Offensive Coordinators

Both are being primed to make excellent head coaches in the future.

Sanford isn’t a “Co”

Like it or not, Simon is his assistant.
Sanford isn’t a co-OC, but Simon is? How does that work? Who is Simon CO with?

BTW - I do like it. I’d taken Sanford over Simon if I had to choose.

Sanford isn’t a co-OC, but Simon is? How does that work? Who is Simon CO with?

BTW - I do like it. I’d taken Sanford over Simon if I had to choose.

Sanford - Offensive Coordinator
Simon - Co-Offensive Coordinator

“Co” might not make sense, but Sanford is clearly the boss.

Even though he might not be quite ready for the big job, Simon is clearly a rising star. I’d be very upset if he got poached by another team.

Sanford - Offensive Coordinator
Simon - Co-Offensive Coordinator

“Co” might not make sense, but Sanford is clearly the boss.

Even though he might not be quite ready for the big job, Simon is clearly a rising star. I’d be very upset if he got poached by another team.
I was curious about how they were going to "manage" the OC role, but yeah, the pay makes it quite obvious who's show it is. Not sure I have ever seen someone have a "Co-" title instead of "Assistant" title when that is clearly what it is before. Interesting and odd, IMO.

Fleck is bringing up Simon to gain more experience in all facets of the Offense. It is too bad Ciarrocca had to bail out and seize the opportunity given to him at PSU. Simon would have benefited more learning from the master.

Fleck is bringing up Simon to gain more experience in all facets of the Offense. It is too bad Ciarrocca had to bail out and seize the opportunity given to him at PSU. Simon would have benefited more learning from the master.

He was with Kirk for 5-6 years, and was the passing coordinator this past year. He already learned a lot from him, so a slightly different perspective might not be a bad thing.

Based on Sanford’s comments, I don’t think we’re going to see drastic changes in the offense. That’s one of the mistakes he made at WKU. Failure is growth....

Terrible advice from CC there....”get a fall guy.” How about...don’t do stupid shit that might cost you you’re career. If you do, and get busted, don’t come crying to me.
I thought the comment was a joke until I realize it wasn't. I agree, this is absolutely terrible advice from CC. Wonder if the NFL stepped in on this?

Shame on him. I thought he was better than that.

Top Bottom