STrib: New era: Gophers football players cash in during Lakeville event

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Realizing he'll have more opportunities to make NIL money than his teammates, Morgan, along with running back Mohamed Ibrahim, decided to include the offensive linemen in on the action, coming up with the idea of an autograph session at Baldy's BBQ, with all proceeds going to the big fellas.

"I reached out to Baldy and asked him if there was something we could do for our offensive line to profit off this name, image and likeness before the season starts,'' Morgan said. "He was like, 'Yeah, of course.' We got it going, and it was perfect combination. It was cool for our guys to come out here and sign some autographs.''

Baldy is Brian "Baldy'' Wheeler, a former placekicker for Joliet (Ill.) Junior College and the University of Missouri. "Broke my leg in three spots and never got to play'' at Missouri, Wheeler said. He moved to Minnesota in 2003, started Baldy's BBQ in 2009 and helped coach Lakeville South's quarterbacks and receivers when future QB Mitch Leidner was playing for the Cougars. He became a Gophers fan, is a regular at tailgates and has catered events for the team.

Wheeler also became friends with Morgan's father, Ted, who died July 12 after battling brain cancer. "[Tanner] called me the day after the funeral and said, 'Let's get this thing together. I need to get this for my linemen,' '' Wheeler said. "He said, 'I'm getting some opportunities, Mo's getting some opportunities, but my linemen, they ain't seeing the love.' ''

At Wednesday's event, fans could receive autographs from the linemen for $10 per item, and during the two-plus-hour session, an estimated 250 people showed up. Wheeler gave the Gophers group 15% of the restaurant's proceeds from 5 p.m. and on, which augmented the amount the players received from autographs. The 10 linemen split a total of roughly $2,000.

The linemen, of course, applauded the efforts of Morgan and Ibrahim.

"Thank you very much for Tanner and Mo,'' senior guard Blaise Andries said. "It's really cool that they were willing to do that for their offensive line. When you think of NIL, you think of the top three or four players on the team getting most of the deals. We're lucky enough to have great people on our team helping us out.''

Added senior guard Conner Olson, "We appreciate it. Tanner's been our guy through this.''

Go Gophers!!

I highly encourage more of you to hit this up if they do it again. Fun time, cheap autographs that I put on some full size helmets, and supporting our guys in the NIL era. Worth a long drive to Lakeville.

Hey, $200 buys a lot of Natty Light, if nothing else!

More than they had the day before, fans love it, restaurant benefits, everybody wins!

Nice way to build up team chemistry.
Good job Tanner.

Gopher hole should organize some events for the unsung heros. I would kick in a little cash for a high five or elbow bump🤪 or whatever.

I pick yellow above, simply because it doesn't have the damn oar persona branding.

Still love the shiny gold and the matte maroon both, as color schemes, though.

Not surprised one bit to see Tanner and Mo doing something like this in order to get the O-Line guys some money. There are going to be guys in this NIL era out for themselves and trying to make a ton of money for themselves and then there will be the guys who see the big picture.

I think we will see far more of the guys handling things like Morgan and Mo in Fleck's program then we will see the guys just out for themselves. Those kind of players don't fit the culture Fleck is establishing.

Not surprised one bit to see Tanner and Mo doing something like this in order to get the O-Line guys some money. There are going to be guys in this NIL era out for themselves and trying to make a ton of money for themselves and then there will be the guys who see the big picture.

I think we will see far more of the guys handling things like Morgan and Mo in Fleck's program then we will see the guys just out for themselves. Those kind of players don't fit the culture Fleck is establishing.
You brought up a good point. Some people are selfish and some are giving. Glad we have the giving people. Hopefully they will be our future leaders. People like that need to be in positions of teaching and leadership as they progress through life.

I pick yellow above, simply because it doesn't have the damn oar persona branding.

Still love the shiny gold and the matte maroon both, as color schemes, though.
Yellow? Are you a Gopher fan?

I wasn't reading closely and originally thought Baldy was a nickname given to Morgan by Ibrahim lol...

Yellow? Are you a Gopher fan?
pantone%20yellow-1.png

gold-bars-stock-photo_csp2253564.jpg

Just stating objective facts, my man. 🤷‍♂️

pantone%20yellow-1.png

gold-bars-stock-photo_csp2253564.jpg

Just stating objective facts, my man. 🤷‍♂️

At least get your facts right if you're going to try to state objective facts. You didn't even pick the right color. And you know that NO Gopher fan would ever call it yellow. Our colors are maroon and gold. You an Iowa fan?

This is the U of M Gold:
10017341.jpg

Our colors are maroon and gold. You an Iowa fan?
Uhh ... just a second there, professor.

You realize that Iowa's official school colors are Black and Gold? Why do we get to call our yellow as gold, but they don't?

https://brand.uiowa.edu/color

Their's is even more yellow than our's!

116c.png

Point being, lots and lots of schools -- for whatever historical and traditional reasons -- have an official school color that is clearly a hue of yellow and yet they call it "gold". Fine, whoopty doo.

It's not the actual color of gold.

Moving on

Top Bottom