STrib: Minnesota talent ready to make unprecedented impact in NBA draft

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Tre Jones, Daniel Oturu and Zeke Nnaji had summer practices together in Minnesota high school gyms so quiet you could hear their sneakers squeak on the hardwood.

Now those three former AAU teammates will try to make some noise in the next NBA draft.

Throw in McKinley Wright, Freddie Gillespie, Tyrell Terry and a few others from the Land of 10,000 Lakes, and Minnesota natives are filling up draft projections.

Go Gophers!!

2019 State of MN Recruits

2020 State of MN Recruits

This is hard to look at

per Marcus:

Tre Jones, Daniel Oturu and Zeke Nnaji had summer practices together in Minnesota high school gyms so quiet you could hear their sneakers squeak on the hardwood.

Now those three former AAU teammates will try to make some noise in the next NBA draft.

Throw in McKinley Wright, Freddie Gillespie, Tyrell Terry and a few others from the Land of 10,000 Lakes, and Minnesota natives are filling up draft projections.

Go Gophers!!
I don't follow the Pac-12 very often, is Tyrell Terry a legit NBA prospect so soon? I always thought he he had potential but was going to have to develop a bit.

The more the media talks about it, the more the locals care.

I don't care that people that who were born in the same state that I was born in are going to the NBA. I get why the editors want to continue pumping out this low-hanging fruit but I feel like so many states don't do this kind of thing and I wish it didn't get as much run because it's tiring.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but does Texas obsess over all its local kids? Does Florida? Does Illinois? Insert any state. This gets so old.

The more the media talks about it, the more the locals care.

I don't care that people that who were born in the same state that I was born in are going to the NBA. I get why the editors want to continue pumping out this low-hanging fruit but I feel like so many states don't do this kind of thing and I wish it didn't get as much run because it's tiring.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but does Texas obsess over all its local kids? Does Florida? Does Illinois? Insert any state. This gets so old.
I would think those states probably do if they're not winning games.

Illinois' failure to pull kids out of Chicago has been an ongoing fan hot button in the state since Self left for Kansas. Weber, Groce and Underwood have all been accused of neglecting the area, which essentially means they haven't kissed enough AAU ass, or funneled enough money to their programs and players. Plenty of top tier players have left the state in the last 15+ years: Derrick Rose, Cliff Alexander, Jahlil Okafor, Jabari Parker, John Scheyer, Julian Wright, Evan Turner and DJ Steward. It's not just a Minnesota thing.

I honestly don’t care where Richard gets his kids from, just that they get good coaching, go to class, and win some games. His coaching is suspect, it’s one of the reasons I think it’s time to move on. Coyle’s statement about expectations this year might spell trouble for Pitino’s recruiting this year.

I honestly don’t care where Richard gets his kids from, just that they get good coaching, go to class, and win some games. His coaching is suspect, it’s one of the reasons I think it’s time to move on. Coyle’s statement about expectations this year might spell trouble for Pitino’s recruiting this year.
I am curious as to why you think his coaching is suspect. Could you expound on it a bit.

It is a every state thing. Virginia does not get Virginia kids.The best ones go to Duke,UNC, UK. The only ones they get are walk on kids. This happens everywhere.
I don't mind if the 5 star kids from MN go to Duke, UNC, Kentucky. But those ones that aren't recruited hard by those big-time schools fall into that 2nd tier where you can win on those kids. The bigger issue might be lack of identity, as has been mentioned a few times in here. Virginia is probably the easiest example of recruiting to a certain kind of kid. Discipline is huge at Virginia. So say Craig Smith comes in with his own identity and finds certain kids around the country that fit that, I'm good with it. He'll probably still get Minnesota kids here and there, as I think the best coaches have the ability to adjust a little bit based on their personnel. Especially if he's a highly ranked kid that could be big impact as Minnesota has been putting out.

It is a every state thing. Virginia does not get Virginia kids.The best ones go to Duke,UNC, UK. The only ones they get are walk on kids. This happens everywhere.

The top kid in North Carolina is a five star kid and he's going to MICHIGAN!! It even happens in the state with two of the top 5 programs in the country.

I think Pitino is an above-average college coach. His recruiting tactics are just not "aggressive" enough. He takes "no" for an answer. Many college coaches do not (Bruce Pearl; Bill Self; Archie Miller; you know the type). I see Pitino leaving after the year for another school if the team makes the NCAA.

I am curious as to why you think his coaching is suspect. Could you expound on it a bit.
Sure, his inability to get his team a viable offensive set and not scoring for long stretches in several games down the stretch. Inability to get in an offensive set to score against a zone defense thrown at him in the Maryland game. I just don’t see smart decisions in the middle of games. To me he doesn’t make adjustments well. Also uses his bench poorly in games. Lots of people have made their thoughts known. These are my opinions. I’m willing to respect others but this is how I see it. He seems like a nice guy but that doesn’t win games. Do I have a choice for new coach, no I don’t watch enough of other teams games nor do I have the time.

I think Pitino is an above-average college coach. His recruiting tactics are just not "aggressive" enough. He takes "no" for an answer. Many college coaches do not (Bruce Pearl; Bill Self; Archie Miller; you know the type). I see Pitino leaving after the year for another school if the team makes the NCAA.
Recruiting tactics aside we do have two 4 star freshman coming in this year and one 4 star already committed for the following year. If he does well with the two scholarships currently available I think you would have to say things are looking good on the recruiting side .

Sure, his inability to get his team a viable offensive set and not scoring for long stretches in several games down the stretch. Inability to get in an offensive set to score against a zone defense thrown at him in the Maryland game. I just don’t see smart decisions in the middle of games. To me he doesn’t make adjustments well. Also uses his bench poorly in games. Lots of people have made their thoughts known. These are my opinions. I’m willing to respect others but this is how I see it. He seems like a nice guy but that doesn’t win games. Do I have a choice for new coach, no I don’t watch enough of other teams games nor do I have the time.
Fair response. I respect your opinion. My opinion is that we were very competitive this year against a tough schedule. We lost some very close games that were disappointing but that does not mean we were a bad team or poorly coached. To be in a position to win against ranked teams speaks for itself. We have some good recruit coming in and in my opinion things are looking up for the program.

Get the best from yer own state and the best from your neighbors and you win conferences titles. Not national titles but conf titles. We are 10 yrs away from this game plan

Sorry people a bit off track based on the thread title. I agree with it by the way, Minnesota hoops has come a long way from when I played in the mid 80’s.

Virginia is in one of the most talent-laden regions of the US in near proximity with multiple blue blood programs and other consistently competitive high majors. They are not an appropriate comparison for the talent drain our own program has experienced. On top of that, they are reigning NCAA champs (for another season, at least). Bennett has proven he can win the final game of the season. I doubt VA fans care if they miss on in-state recruits as much as we do, because they are nearly always a force in the ACC and on the national stage.

Compare to Minnesota's situation, as the only D1 program in the state and in a premier conference, in an area of the country where states have at most 2 D1 b-ball programs each that are not always very competitive. The comp just doesn't make sense.

The fact of it is that the U does not bring in as much talent from our own area as we should, and we are not able to win enough on our own to prove that we don't need it.

Recruiting tactics aside we do have two 4 star freshman coming in this year and one 4 star already committed for the following year. If he does well with the two scholarships currently available I think you would have to say things are looking good on the recruiting side .
Mitchell is a composite 3-star. Our current class ranks 51st in the country according to 24/7, and is in the back half of the B1G. We are not getting Walton and I very much doubt we land a marquee big man transfer. I don't believe things look good on the recruiting side at all, and assuming Carr does not return next year we are looking at a very bumpy final season for Pitino.

The top kid in North Carolina is a five star kid and he's going to MICHIGAN!! It even happens in the state with two of the top 5 programs in the country.
We can't cherry pick like this. 5(!!!!) of the next 6 recruits in NC's 2020 class, ranging from high-3 star to high 4-star players, are going to NC state in the fall. Considering Duke and UNC can pick up 5-star commits from literally anywhere in the country, "losing" in-state recruits is not really a loss at all for those programs.

We can't cherry pick like this. 5(!!!!) of the next 6 recruits in NC's 2020 class, ranging from high-3 star to high 4-star players, are going to NC state in the fall. Considering Duke and UNC can pick up 5-star commits from literally anywhere in the country, "losing" in-state recruits is not really a loss at all for those programs.
That is why Bennett finds players all over the world. The highly competitive nature of that region leaves slim pickings in the region so Pennsylvania for Hunter, Georgia for Brogdon, Indiana for Guy, N.Y. for Jerome, Perrantes came from California, Harris from the state of Washington, Thompson from California at WSU, all before winning the finale game. Basketball people, coaches recruits always thought he would win the final game. Now recruiting will be even better. None of those were blue blood recruits or regional. Find players first that fit your academic and character traits, that fit what you want to do. That will out work anyone. They can come from anywhere. Great coaches get players anywhere they coach and make them into great teams.

You think NC state fans would like to win like others in the conference that don’t care where the guys are from or be happy cause they got the local guys?

You think NC state fans would like to win like others in the conference that don’t care where the guys are from or be happy cause they got the local guys?
Who says NC State isn't gonna win with this class coming in? Looks pretty damn good. I'd put my money on success with this crop. Their past years have been with kids not from NC. I'm thinking you'll have the best of both worlds, just like we're looking for here.

I'd take this all day.

Who says NC State isn't gonna win with this class coming in? Looks pretty damn good. I'd put my money on success with this crop. Their past years have been with kids not from NC. I'm thinking you'll have the best of both worlds, just like we're looking for here.

I'd take this all day.

25% of the top 100 went out of state and that’s in states with better programs than ours and in some states multiple. Im not saying I wouldn’t love MN kids but we’ve got about the same amount of MN kids as Wisconsin or Iowa or many other programs have of kids in our state. In state recruiting is not even a top 3 issue with why we are losing

Top Bottom