STrib: Marcus Carr gets emotional after what could be his last game with Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Buckeyes coach Chris Holtmann saw Carr tearing up and walked over to console him following the game.

"Basketball is a super competitive sport," Carr said. "There's a mutual respect. I guess it does mean a lot to have my peers respect me and other coaches respect me."

Carr didn't win as many games with the Gophers as he had hoped for in two seasons, but he was as well respected as any point guard in the Big Ten. As decisions about turning pro await, he reflected Thursday on a season that he saw going much differently.

"I didn't accomplish what I wanted to accomplish coming back, which was going to the [NCAA] tournament and winning the Big Ten," Carr said.

Go Gophers!!

One of the best and grittiest players in the Pitino era. Maybe in the last 20 years for the Gophers. Too bad Pitino couldn't draw up and run a successful offense that helped him thrive. I honestly don't blame Carr for being a ball hog at times when nobody else can shoot, there lies the issue.

One of the best and grittiest players in the Pitino era. Maybe in the last 20 years for the Gophers. Too bad Pitino couldn't draw up and run a successful offense that helped him thrive. I honestly don't blame Carr for being a ball hog at times when nobody else can shoot, there lies the issue.

It's funny because I've been having this text argument with my Gopher buddies the last couple weeks. They're saying "I hate Carr" and "he sucks". While not only totally disrespectful, it's definitely not factoring in what he has been surrounded with. He set the Gophers single season record for assists last year, so it's not like he didn't pass when he had guys who could score. With Robbins and Gabe off the floor, he was in a very tough spot.

I don't think it can be argued that he is definitely one of our top 5 players of the last 20 years.

It's funny because I've been having this text argument with my Gopher buddies the last couple weeks. They're saying "I hate Carr" and "he sucks". While not only totally disrespectful, it's definitely not factoring in what he has been surrounded with. He set the Gophers single season record for assists last year, so it's not like he didn't pass when he had guys who could score. With Robbins and Gabe off the floor, he was in a very tough spot.

I don't think it can be argued that he is definitely one of our top 5 players of the last 20 years.
Well put:

He reminds me a lot of Chris Paul. He is at heart a facilitator, but can be an offensive warrior when we need someone to step up and he came through on numerous occasions in the clutch this year. Some of his assists were downright dirty! There have been maybe a handful of PGs in the past 10 years with the same court vision and ball handling skills as Carr at the collegiate level. On a team like Michigan State, he would have been Big 10 POY and a Naismith finalist. What could have been something very special, fell apart under the poor coaching and philosophies of Richard Pitino.

Top Bottom