STrib: Limegrover explains why Gophers ran so much between the tackles

I think oleboy has a point here. Ryan Burns on one of his most recent podcasts said our O-line blocking scheme is on the complex side. When you have guys injured, some playing in different spots, and are facing a stacked box, I can imagine how things could look ugly up front. Hence Kill wanting to simplify things. I don't think he necessarily meant running a simpler offense, but maybe simplifying things as far as offensive line calls.

One aspect being overlooked IMO is the TE position. All of our injuries have taken a toll there as well. Plsek has been a rock the past few years as a de facto 6th offensive lineman. With all of our injuries, Wozniak and two walk-ons were playing. Woz has done a nice job but he barely played before this year and struggled blocking on Saturday.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow to see what the staff has come up with to improve things.

I think oleboy has a point here. Ryan Burns on one of his most recent podcasts said our O-line blocking scheme is on the complex side. When you have guys injured, some playing in different spots, and are facing a stacked box, I can imagine how things could look ugly up front. Hence Kill wanting to simplify things. I don't think he necessarily meant running a simpler offense, but maybe simplifying things as far as offensive line calls.

One aspect being overlooked IMO is the TE position. All of our injuries have taken a toll there as well. Plsek has been a rock the past few years as a de facto 6th offensive lineman. With all of our injuries, Wozniak and two walk-ons were playing. Woz has done a nice job but he barely played before this year and struggled blocking on Saturday.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow to see what the staff has come up with to improve things.

Fine. But what I don't get is why the offense has been nearly vanilla for the past five years, with the exception of a few really good games when they mixed up the playcalling and tried to fool the defense. It didn't just get stale and boring last week, it's been stale and boring for the vast majority of five years, which is also how long the Gophers have been hoping for and almost completely relying on the defense and special teams to win games for the team.

Relax: Things will improve starting with Ohio University.

BTW Lookie at who is at #3:http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Oooooh la! A perfect storm.

KSU almost caught the Gophers at the right moment for an upset with all those injuries to their TEs & OLs.

You can thank the Gophers D for the victory. It is obvious Limegrover & Kill ceded to them to prevent a loss.

The Gophers essentially played prevent defense, and the offense played possum with the whole O-Line stupefied.

Let's hope and pray for a victory this Saturday against Ohio, regroup and heal up quickly for B1G play.

It is scary that after three games, the Gophers (24th) are looking up at most of their B1G opponents this season in terms of total defense rank (5 OSU, 6 NW, 7 MI, 16 IA, 20 IL, 27 WI, 86 PU, 103 NE).

Gopher victories may be far and fewer than we anticipate with a sputtering offense. Worst case scenario 4-8 (2-6 B1G); best case 8-4 (5-3).

Time to pull more red shirts (may need to bridge the experience gap for next year's losses through graduation/transfers).

So, if the more experienced players are struggling - the answer is less experienced players?

No, it means you practice & prep the young pups to back up your first/second teamers on an emergency basis. You hope that you don't use them and preserve their red shirts. But, at least when called upon out of necessity they are not totally raw. Tyler Moore may be the likeliest candidate. He enrolled early, and came from a HS program with good S&C.

It must take a long time for most O-Line to gel together. Do we play starters that are hobbling like against KSU, or do we start someone fresh but not as experienced? I think it is a tough deal either way, because defenses key in on a weakness like a pack of hyenas in for the kill. One guy in the O-Line playing out of sync can potentially break down a protection scheme.

Are our starters going to be healthy for the rest of the eight grueling B1G games? Every team struggle with OL/TE injuries and play hurt. But, if you have season ending injuries or ones missing multiple games what choice do you have?

When was the last time we saw thirteen Gophers incur troublesome injuries (some season ending) after two non-conference games? Some of these occurred during practices.

Top Bottom