STrib: Laura Bagwell-Katalinich Finds Right Fit with Gophers

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Because of a rather unusual Ivy League rule and an understanding head coach, Laura Bagwell-Katalinich started looking for a new place to play while she was still playing at Cornell.

She had started at Penn, then transferred to Cornell, which required sitting out a season. After two years with the Big Red she had a year of NCAA eligibility left, but Ivy League rules don’t allow graduate students to play. So, with Cornell coach Dayna Smith’s OK, Bagwell-Katalinich put her name in the transfer portal back in January.

Almost immediately, Gophers coach Lindsay Whalen called.

“We know what she can bring,” Whalen said. “She has leadership. She’s played a lot of games. And it’s at a position of need.”

Initially, Bagwell-Katalinich will compete for minutes in the post with players such as Klarke Sconiers — who had a strong Big Ten tournament — Barbora Tomancova and incoming freshman Erin Hedman.

“I’ve been through winning seasons, losing seasons, big games on big stages,” she said. “I think I’ve learned how to deal with the highs and lows that come with the game. The frontcourt is a little younger. I hope to bring a veteran presence.’

I think that's a good get at a position where we need depth for next year (with more height coming in out years). But perhaps even more importantly ...

> Almost immediately, Gophers coach Lindsay Whalen called.

… I think that it's great that Whalen and staff are watching that Transfer Portal like hawks.

Top Bottom