STrib: Injury may force a changing of the guard for Gophers at quarterback

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

On Oct. 20, 2018, Tanner Morgan relieved injured starting quarterback Zack Annexstad to start the second half of the Gophers' 53-28 loss at Nebraska. Morgan, then a redshirt freshman, led two touchdown drives in the third quarter, pulling Minnesota within 28-22 before the Cornhuskers took over.

"It was gritty, gutsy," coach P.J. Fleck said of Morgan's performance. "That's what he is."

With Annexstad recovering from a midsection injury, Morgan was under center for the next week's game against Indiana, the first of 45 consecutive starts he would make.

Four years later on Saturday, Athan Kaliakmanis relieved injured starter Morgan in the second half of the Gophers' 20-13 victory at Nebraska. With his team trailing 10-0 at intermission, the redshirt freshman led four second-half scoring drives, two for TDs and two for field goals.

Go Gophers!!

45 straight starts. Wow. Who would've called that when Tanner stepped in for Annexstad at half all those years ago? Like others, I now believe it's time for AK to start moving forward, but I'm thankful to see so much love for Morgan on here and the care with which people want the change made. Tanner has not only been an incredible leader of this team, he's played legitimately high level football for much of his time as the starter. I know it hasn't been that way for a while and he's leaving a sour taste in the mouths of many, but I'll never forget throws like the game winner to Bateman against Indiana in 2018, game tying CRAB TD at FSU, 3rd and 22 (?) and 4th and 10 to Douglas against GSU, the Bateman and Johnson TD's vs. PSU, the end line tapper by Johnson against Auburn, followed up by the long post for a TD later in the game...etc, etc. So many memories. I hope they do a video montage to him at Huntington Bank in a few years. He deserves it.

Top Bottom