STrib: In Indy, both Gophers, Ohio State point to opener

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

The gathering was taking place at the home of the Indianapolis Colts, but P.J. Fleck had a horse of a different color on his mind.

"You ever been to the Kentucky Derby?'' the Gophers football coach asked reporters on Thursday during Big Ten media days, then shifted focus to what it must feel like to be a jockey in such a big race. "I can imagine, right before you get in the chute, that anticipation you feel, and when they open the gate, you go.''

That's just the way Fleck feels about the season opener against mighty Ohio State on Sept. 2 in Minneapolis.

"The anticipation of playing a top-five team to open the season at Huntington Bank Stadium with the crowd being back for the first time, a sellout crowd, it's awesome,'' he said, "but it's still a football game.''

That football game should be one of the Gophers' most-anticipated home contests in recent memory, joining the 2019 games against Penn State and Wisconsin that had sold-out crowds at then-TCF Bank Stadium. Ohio State, the reigning national runner-up, is expected to be among the nation's top five when the major polls are released in August.

"Excited would be an understatement,'' Gophers quarterback Tanner Morgan said of facing the Buckeyes in a stadium with the COVID-19 restrictions of 2020 lifted. "When I was a kid, I always dreamed of playing the biggest college football games. You have visions of packed stadiums. … I can't wait.''

Go Gophers!!

When is the first team practice with all the coaches?

Top Bottom