STrib: Improved team GPA pleases Kill

"Depth in backfield

The departure of Eskridge, whose 698 rushing yards led the Gophers last season, in order to be closer to his San Francisco home, shouldn't have too great an impact, Kill said, because Minnesota has a stockpile of running backs.

"I think we'll be OK," Kill said. "That's one position where we've got a lot of guys that are very similar."

Among them: redshirt freshman Devon Wright, an academic casualty last season. Kill said the Coral Springs, Fla., native has regained his eligibility."

Something we've been waiting to hear. I think it's going to be a fun year in the rushing department!

Yeah, I was kind of happy to see Eskridge transfer. I really want to see what the young guys can do because Eskridge and Bennett have been about as average as can be. I really hope one of Kirkwood, Edwards, or Wright step up and impress. If we could really improve our rushing attack, it would go a long way towards helping become bowl eligible this year.

If the offensive line is below average...the running backs will be below...

average. IF the offensive line is average, the running backs will appear average. IF the offensive line is above average, the running backs will appear a bit better than average average. The running game is directly tied to the functioning of the offensive line...AND, how well the qb and running backs and wide receivers hang on to the ball, do NOT turn the ball over and run the correct routes, pick up the blitz and pick the right holes and lanes. In other words, in a football world in which the offensive line can dictate, IF the backs and receivers play sound football and HANG ON TO THE BALL, pretty much everything is dependent upon how well the offensive line plays as a unit.

p.s. The same is pretty much true for the passing game. Your offense rocks...OR...rolls depending upon how well your offensive line plays and functions as a unit. IF you always have a very good offensive line, you will virtually always have a very good offense. IF your offensive line owns the line of scrimmage, your offense will also own the l.o.s. as long as the backs and receivers hang on to the ball, run the correct routes, block and do the things they are supposed to do.

And that's the way it is out there in the world of Big Ten Football.

; 0 )

Barry Sanders must've had a line full of HOFers during his NFL career, eh?

The "10 or 11" losses turned out be be 2 or 3? Nice. The "sky is falling" approach to academics earlier this year should have been countered with "no permanent coaching staff on board" as was mentioned in the article. Matter of fact it's possible that in the player's minds after the loss to NIU, most Gopher players probably assumed that there was "no permanent coaching staff on board" for the rest of that season. Maybe they felt that way after losing to another Dakota team. Nearly all fans felt the same way too.

Turns out they were right.

Barry Sanders must've had a line fall of HOFers during his NFL career, eh?

Did Barry's line "fall" over each other, or did they play football in the "fall"? either way, barry did not have a line FULL of HOFers.

he who throws grammar stones...

I wonder what Kill meant by saying "There will be somebody mad they didn't get into two-a-day camp". Typically the players that aren't invited are the non-recruited walk-ons, wonder if there are scholarship players that won't be joining the team until after the first game.

I wonder what Kill meant by saying "There will be somebody mad they didn't get into two-a-day camp". Typically the players that aren't invited are the non-recruited walk-ons, wonder if there are scholarship players that won't be joining the team until after the first game.

You're overthinking. The whole quote is "There will be more changes; that's just the way it is," Kill said. "There will be somebody mad they didn't get into two-a-day camp, or somebody that's not getting enough reps. Kids aren't patient anymore. But you can't worry about them; you've got to worry about the ones that want to be here. ... You can't turn around the culture in one year."

He is generalizing. If there might be scholarship players who aren't going to put in the work this summer. If they don't, they are not getting invited. At all.

Basically sounds like Kill expects a few more guys to leave after getting buried on the depth chart/beaten out for PT/don't vibe with the fall camp.
Hopefully it's done with class and matter of fact circumstances, Kill's way or the highway etc.
I'd hate to hear that they were rubbing guys out of the program to free up schollies/spots that have been working hard and buying in. That doesn't sound like something Kill does though.

average. IF the offensive line is average, the running backs will appear average. IF the offensive line is above average, the running backs will appear a bit better than average average. The running game is directly tied to the functioning of the offensive line...AND, how well the qb and running backs and wide receivers hang on to the ball, do NOT turn the ball over and run the correct routes, pick up the blitz and pick the right holes and lanes. In other words, in a football world in which the offensive line can dictate, IF the backs and receivers play sound football and HANG ON TO THE BALL, pretty much everything is dependent upon how well the offensive line plays as a unit.

p.s. The same is pretty much true for the passing game. Your offense rocks...OR...rolls depending upon how well your offensive line plays and functions as a unit. IF you always have a very good offensive line, you will virtually always have a very good offense. IF your offensive line owns the line of scrimmage, your offense will also own the l.o.s. as long as the backs and receivers hang on to the ball, run the correct routes, block and do the things they are supposed to do.

And that's the way it is out there in the world of Big Ten Football.

; 0 )

Are you making your sentences by drawing the words out of a hat?

Did Barry's line "fall" over each other, or did they play football in the "fall"? either way, barry did not have a line FULL of HOFers.

he who throws grammar stones...

OK...I'm all for good grammar, but i've realized that i'm reading a message board full of football fans of all colors and writing skills. I've slowly come to accept the occasional poor grammar and spelling to just read for the content. So if you are really that hung up on grammar...please move along to some journalism/English message board. Otherwise, just learn to deal with it and don't waste your time pointing out grammatical shortcomings. :cool:

Top Bottom