STrib: Holiday Bowl official: "We actually felt like we got a steal with the Gophers"

Link?

Seriously dude - stop spending your time here if you are so unhappy, hate our coach, bitter about everything Gopher FB, etc. I'm worried about you - you need to be happy and clearly aren't. Stop punishing yourself.

I'm miserable because I use facts to back up how I think the football program is beginning to trend in the wrong direction? I'm sorry that those facts don't always align with homerism. So many are blinded by 8 wins on paper and don't care about anything else. That's fine and that's your opinion. I come to a fan message board to vent and/or express my opinion about the program now and the future of the program.

Kill built up the program and had a lot of momentum going into last year and then everything that could have went wrong, went wrong. Claeys, aided by Coughlin, was able to keep the good MN recruits home. Outside of that, the recruiting was mediocre. Combo that with questionable coaching decisions, undisciplined play, a perceived lack of personality, no rivalry/ranked wins, and a current recruiting class ranked dead last in the B1G with not a lot of help on the horizon, I'm worried.

QB play regressed this year. They are obviously not convinced any QB on the roster is better than Leidner, or ready to play next year. The jury is still out on whether they can get another QB to commit here, and there are no guarantees that he will be any better if they do. That's scary.

The Northwestern attendance is a warning sign that the momentum is being lost. I'm not the only one who is concerned. As others have said, they were just as close to losing some bad games this year as they were to winning a big game. They lose some solid SRs on defense, and have a giant ? at QB going into next year. It's very possible they could struggle next year. What happens if they only win 4 games, and recruiting continues to struggle? Then we've lost all momentum that Kill had built, and that's what terrifies me the most. I don't want to start from scratch again.

As far as positive posts, all you had to do was look at the posts I made on the basketball board last year. I was one of about 2 Pitino supporters left during that brutal season because of the talent he continues to recruit. Now that's starting to pay off, and next year could be one of the best Gopher basketball teams we've had in a while.

I'm miserable because I use facts to back up how I think the football program is beginning to trend in the wrong direction? I'm sorry that those facts don't always align with homerism. So many are blinded by 8 wins on paper and don't care about anything else. That's fine and that's your opinion. I come to a fan message board to vent and/or express my opinion about the program now and the future of the program.

Kill built up the program and had a lot of momentum going into last year and then everything that could have went wrong, went wrong. Claeys, aided by Coughlin, was able to keep the good MN recruits home. Outside of that, the recruiting was mediocre. Combo that with questionable coaching decisions, undisciplined play, a perceived lack of personality, no rivalry/ranked wins, and a current recruiting class ranked dead last in the B1G with not a lot of help on the horizon, I'm worried.

QB play regressed this year. They are obviously not convinced any QB on the roster is better than Leidner, or ready to play next year. The jury is still out on whether they can get another QB to commit here, and there are no guarantees that he will be any better if they do. That's scary.

The Northwestern attendance is a warning sign that the momentum is being lost. I'm not the only one who is concerned. As others have said, they were just as close to losing some bad games this year as they were to winning a big game. They lose some solid SRs on defense, and have a giant ? at QB going into next year. It's very possible they could struggle next year. What happens if they only win 4 games, and recruiting continues to struggle? Then we've lost all momentum that Kill had built, and that's what terrifies me the most. I don't want to start from scratch again.

As far as positive posts, all you had to do was look at the posts I made on the basketball board last year. I was one of about 2 Pitino supporters left during that brutal season because of the talent he continues to recruit. Now that's starting to pay off, and next year could be one of the best Gopher basketball teams we've had in a while.

Ugh. I'd respond in detail but it is clearly pointless. I'd bet on the over that you won't be able to resist responding to me here, but it is a bet I'd gladly lose.

BoVTP5rIYAAS0yY.jpg

you are such a cliche.

thank you for proving my point about the dogs*** media in this town - do you always swallow everything out of the espn1500 marketing department?

Well you saying it doesn't make it true and putting the word hella next to it certainly doesn't make it any more true. Football doesn't make me miserable because it's only football.

Calling someone miserable because they disagree with you is just a reactionary conniption. Good luck to you also.

I am probably one of the most Pollyanna fans here, and although I can't recall your past posts, I don't have a problem with what you are saying here. We all want to program to take that next step.

I would like to see more positive coverage from the local media, but I'm afraid it's gonna take winning 10 games and the West to make a big splash.

The media has nothing to do with anything I said. I've never listened to one second of espn1500.

yea i guess its just a big coincidence then :rolleyes: - you are a joke irt to football

we do agree on basketball though i would tell folks i knew pitino was the truth and they dumped on me so i guess ill just ignore you on this board and slap ya on the back over in bball

Another example of the "Gopher fans" that no one needs.

Oh, I forgot, he "cares deeply about the program". Alrighty then.

Ahh the fan police. One of the worst breeds. Only positivity otherwise you're a troll..

The point of being a fan is that you're supposed to be positive and supportive of the team. It's very easy (and lazy) to find the negative aspect of every situation as a fan. What is the point if that's the route you choose to take? Do you enjoy being miserable?

The point of being a fan is that you're supposed to be positive and supportive of the team. It's very easy (and lazy) to find the negative aspect of every situation as a fan. What is the point if that's the route you choose to take? Do you enjoy being miserable?

Once again how am I miserable? Because I offer up a different opinion that's not so rosy? I still enjoy watching every Gopher game. I was at the TCU game last year and for the first time that felt like a legitimate big time college atmosphere. It's been downhill since.

Once again how am I miserable? Because I offer up a different opinion that's not so rosy? I still enjoy watching every Gopher game. I was at the TCU game last year and for the first time that felt like a legitimate big time college atmosphere. It's been downhill since.

If you look at and accentuate the negative of every situation involving the Gophers, how is that not being miserable?

If you look at and accentuate the negative of every situation involving the Gophers, how is that not being miserable?

No I don't. It's great the Gophers landed the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. Lose and you're still in the best city in America. Win and it's icing on the cake.

Feel free to believe that if you wish. Your posts are available for all to read.

And you're being a hypocrite. You've constantly ripped Pitino, far more than I've ever questioned Claeys. You've been awfully quiet on the basketball board this year though. I wonder why?

And you're being a hypocrite. You've constantly ripped Pitino, far more than I've ever questioned Claeys. You've been awfully quiet on the basketball board this year though. I wonder why?

I've always posted at probably a 20:1 ratio (or higher) between the football and basketball boards. I wouldn't expect you to know that, given that I've been posting here close to a decade longer than you.

It's not just Claeys. You look for whatever negative you can and emphasize it. Again, feel free to believe otherwise if you want.

I've always posted at probably a 20:1 ratio (or higher) between the football and basketball boards. I wouldn't expect you to know that, given that I've been posting here close to a decade longer than you.

It's not just Claeys. You look for whatever negative you can and emphasize it. Again, feel free to believe otherwise if you want.

You're so awesome.

Go dig up all my negative Kill posts. You won't find much.

To be fair, what are you celebrating with Pitino? What is his conference record v TCs? You may not want to celebrate him and pat yourself on the back for supporting him quite yet.

Speaking of which, why did you give Rich more than 1 year to prove himself as you have done with TC? His early recruiting was abysmal as well, yet you stuck by him. TC had a great first class, but didn't meet your expectations on the field in year 1, and you are now convinced he needs to go. Why weren't you asking for Rich to be fired after year 1. Maybe you were?

You know why you are being called out here lately so stop acting like you are just "discussing a different opinion". None of us are dumb enough to believe that so stop selling it. Nothing is good. All is bad. The sky is falling. You certainly seem miserable to the rest of us so we are wondering why you are doing that to yourself. You should be focusing on supplying us with weather forecasts that we simply can't get elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, what are you celebrating with Pitino? What is his conference record v TCs? You may not want to celebrate him and pat yourself on the back for supporting him quite yet.

Speaking of which, why did you give Rich more than 1 year to prove himself as you have done with TC? His early recruiting was abysmal as well, yet you stuck by him. TC had a great first class, but didn't meet your expectations on the field in year 1, and you are now convinced he needs to go. Why weren't you asking for Rich to be fired after year 1. Maybe you were?

You know why you are being called out here lately so stop acting like you are just "discussing a different opinion". None of us are dumb enough to believe that so stop selling it. Nothing is good. All is bad. The sky is falling. You certainly seem miserable to the rest of us so we are wondering why you are doing that to yourself. You should be focusing on supplying us with weather forecasts that we simply can't get elsewhere.

I'm not celebrating anything with Pitino, he still has a lot to prove. Pitino and staff wasn't here for 5 years before becoming HC. He recognized the deficiencies at PG, brought in Lil Dre, and they overachieved his first year, winning 25 games and the NIT. Claeys was here, brought in a new OC and Leidner regressed. Claeys proclaimed himself this is the best team since he's been here, and they underachieved with the best wins coming against Colorado St. and Northwestern.

Pitino did fail at first in recruiting because he aimed too high. He missed out on high 4* and 5* recruits. He has the personality to sell recruits on MN and he's not afraid to compete with the good-great programs, and it's starting to pay off. Claeys and staff have kept most of the good MN kids home, which is great. Most of the players they get nationally are players who don't have a better offer than MN. I'd much rather see someone fail aiming too high than too low. Recruiting better players is the only way we're going to break out of mediocrity. Save the Brewster comparison, he had never been a successful head coach. You need a combination of both.

The whole point of the Pitino/Claeys comparison is because a certain 3 or 4 people on here want to label me as not a fan or a troll. Yet these same people (1 for sure) constantly rip Pitino. I've stayed positive on Pitino and was positive with Kill. They can disagree and think that Pitino is not the right guy, and that's their opinion. I don't question their fan hood. I don't think Claeys is the right guy. Who knows, Coyle may agree. He still doesn't have an extension. Any negative posts on here relate to me being tired of watching Wisconsin dominate us and win at a much higher level. There's no reason we can't get to that level.

I never questioned your fanhood. In fact, I asked why you persist in being a fan if you don't find much/any enjoyment in it?

I was born a Minnesota everything fan, nothing will ever change that. I do find a lot of enjoyment in it, but I get frustrated that we can't ever get to the next level.

I'm not celebrating anything with Pitino, he still has a lot to prove. Pitino and staff wasn't here for 5 years before becoming HC. He recognized the deficiencies at PG, brought in Lil Dre, and they overachieved his first year, winning 25 games and the NIT. Claeys was here, brought in a new OC and Leidner regressed. Claeys proclaimed himself this is the best team since he's been here, and they underachieved with the best wins coming against Colorado St. and Northwestern.

Pitino did fail at first in recruiting because he aimed too high. He missed out on high 4* and 5* recruits. He has the personality to sell recruits on MN and he's not afraid to compete with the good-great programs, and it's starting to pay off. Claeys and staff have kept most of the good MN kids home, which is great. Most of the players they get nationally are players who don't have a better offer than MN. I'd much rather see someone fail aiming too high than too low. Recruiting better players is the only way we're going to break out of mediocrity. Save the Brewster comparison, he had never been a successful head coach. You need a combination of both.

The whole point of the Pitino/Claeys comparison is because a certain 3 or 4 people on here want to label me as not a fan or a troll. Yet these same people (1 for sure) constantly rip Pitino. I've stayed positive on Pitino and was positive with Kill. They can disagree and think that Pitino is not the right guy, and that's their opinion. I don't question their fan hood. I don't think Claeys is the right guy. Who knows, Coyle may agree. He still doesn't have an extension. Any negative posts on here relate to me being tired of watching Wisconsin dominate us and win at a much higher level. There's no reason we can't get to that level.

Either way it's completely asinine to get rid a coach after year one that wins eight games and has winning record in conference. If he wins a 9th than it's even more asinine Like any coach Claeys deserves four years to bring his first group of recruits through the program to fairly evaluate him. i do agree with you on Pitino, which is why your Claeys take is rediculous. Basketball and football recruiting are also different, you're only recruiting 2-4 guys most years and a couple stud recruits every couple years can change someone's fortunes in a hurry. Like Amir Coffey or down the road someone like Matthew Hurt. In football recruiting classes are in the 20-25 range, you need to be strong in your two deeps to be competitive, that's 40-45 guys that can play, need to take more chances in football recruiting and have a staff that can coach guys up. Can football recruiting get a little better, ya, but this staff has taken worse classes than what this will be (2012 and 2013) into some of the most successful players in recent history from a win-loss prospective. Look up those classes and I think you'll be surprised on how many guys are in the NFL or will be drafted this spring.

Either way it's completely asinine to get rid a coach after year one that wins eight games and has winning record in conference. If he wins a 9th than it's even more asinine Like any coach Claeys deserves four years to bring his first group of recruits through the program to fairly evaluate him. i do agree with you on Pitino, which is why your Claeys take is rediculous. Basketball and football recruiting are also different, you're only recruiting 2-4 guys most years and a couple stud recruits every couple years can change someone's fortunes in a hurry. Like Amir Coffey or down the road someone like Matthew Hurt. In football recruiting classes are in the 20-25 range, you need to be strong in your two deeps to be competitive, that's 40-45 guys that can play, need to take more chances in football recruiting and have a staff that can coach guys up. Can football recruiting get a little better, ya, but this staff has taken worse classes than what this will be (2012 and 2013) into some of the most successful players in recent history from a win-loss prospective. Look up those classes and I think you'll be surprised on how many guys are in the NFL or will be drafted this spring.

At the very least this was the 6th year of Claeys defensive players and system. True 1st year coaches don't have that luxury. If you want to argue that Claeys 2 new coaches on offense need time to recruit and install their system, that's fine. There are also 3 coaches on offense that have been here for 6 years and are heavily involved in recruiting the skill positions, WR coach Anderson, TE coach Reeves, and RB/ST coach Poore. Should they be treated as if it's their 1st year too?

Sorry I'm not convinced that losing Kill's personality at the top and bringing in an offensive coordinator from Louisiana-Lafayette and an O-line coach from Florida Atlantic is going to improve our offensive coaching and recruiting.

Only time will tell on how Coyle feels. Claeys doesn't have an extension yet. If he gets a couple more years at the same low buyout, then he's still coaching for his job. I don't know why Claeys would agree to a deal like that though because it doesn't offer him or his assistants any security. If Claeys doesn't receive an extension at all, he's virtually a dead man walking next year unless they win more games.

Please children, take this quarrel outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the very least this was the 6th year of Claeys defensive players and system. True 1st year coaches don't have that luxury. If you want to argue that Claeys 2 new coaches on offense need time to recruit and install their system, that's fine. There are also 3 coaches on offense that have been here for 6 years and are heavily involved in recruiting the skill positions, WR coach Anderson, TE coach Reeves, and RB/ST coach Poore. Should they be treated as if it's their 1st year too?

Sorry I'm not convinced that losing Kill's personality at the top and bringing in an offensive coordinator from Louisiana-Lafayette and an O-line coach from Florida Atlantic is going to improve our offensive coaching and recruiting.

Only time will tell on how Coyle feels. Claeys doesn't have an extension yet. If he gets a couple more years at the same low buyout, then he's still coaching for his job. I don't know why Claeys would agree to a deal like that though because it doesn't offer him or his assistants any security. If Claeys doesn't receive an extension at all, he's virtually a dead man walking next year unless they win more games.

What a lame argument. An established HC coach would bring in an all newbie staff? Really...

How many coaches did Chryst bring from Pitt? You don't think that if PJ or Miles came here, they wouldn't bring a majority of their staff?

I don't get your argument...TC should have blown up the staff and started over...because it would have created more job security for him?

What a lame argument. An established HC coach would bring in an all newbie staff? Really...

How many coaches did Chryst bring from Pitt? You don't think that if PJ or Miles came here, they wouldn't bring a majority of their staff?

I don't get your argument...TC should have blown up the staff and started over...because it would have created more job security for him?

Wow, really?

No, I didn't expect Claeys to blow up the staff, and yes normal first year coaches bring in their own staffs and need years to recruit their players. Claeys gets treated differently because the majority of his staff has been here recruiting their players for 6 years. That matters, a lot.

Wow, really?

No, I didn't expect Claeys to blow up the staff, and yes normal first year coaches bring in their own staffs and need years to recruit their players. Claeys gets treated differently because the majority of his staff has been here recruiting their players for 6 years. That matters, a lot.

Yep, Chryst, Urban, Harbaugh are great examples of that. Weren't successful with previous staff's players, at all.

Gophs D has gotten steadily better. New OC/QB and line coach this year and offense was a push.

Yep, Chryst, Urban, Harbaugh are great examples of that. Weren't successful with previous staff's players, at all.

Gophs D has gotten steadily better. New OC/QB and line coach this year and offense was a push.

So you think Claeys is comparable to Chryst, Urban, and Harbaugh? You are very optimistic and I'll give credit for that.

Claeys best comparison is Gary Patterson. If he becomes the next Gary Patterson, I won't have any complaints.

Top Bottom