STrib: He runs Minnesota's fourth largest city by day — and moonlights as voice of Gophers football and other sports

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Josie:

In his day job, Jamie Verbrugge often sits quietly to the side at Bloomington city council meetings, a municipal manager running the day-to-day work in the state's fourth largest city with a mostly soft voice and a low-key demeanor.

Residents might not recognize him on some nights and weekends.

Verbrugge, a self-described recovering introvert, deepens his voice and cranks up his volume, his baritone booming to thousands of Golden Gopher fans at stadiums and arenas as the voice of five University of Minnesota sports.

"That's another Gooolllden Gopherrr," he projects at football games before trailing off to let the crowd finish: "First down!"

Now in his 35th year announcing for the U, Verbrugge has added sports to his roster through the decades; he started with wrestling, then took the microphone for men's hockey, football and later men's basketball and baseball.

It's a busy side gig that has its own stresses, but it lets him be part of Minnesota sports teams that he's loved since he was a kid.

"It's completely different from what I do most of the day. It's a little bit of a recharger for me," he said, adding with a smile, "I get to yell at thousands of people, and nobody gets to talk back to me."

Go Gophers!!

I think he does a pretty good Homer Simpson as well. He's done it a few times during football games.

I'm sure he likes to yell at people at football games whereas during his day job, I'm sure he's been on the opposite side where people yell at him. People don't think before they speak these days.

I’m probably in the minority but I think he’s terrible and unprofessional. Makes it about him.

H does a great job.

Dick Bremer’s voice is summer to me.

Jamie’s voice (along with the echo of the band) is fall.

I’m probably in the minority but I think he’s terrible and unprofessional. Makes it about him.
Y tho?

I can’t think of something that would qualify as “unprofessional”.

I’m referring to hockey games more than football. Like I said I’m sure I’m in the minority. I don’t like him, he’s too noticeable. The best PA announcers are like Jules Pearlt.

Per Josie:

In his day job, Jamie Verbrugge often sits quietly to the side at Bloomington city council meetings, a municipal manager running the day-to-day work in the state's fourth largest city with a mostly soft voice and a low-key demeanor.

Residents might not recognize him on some nights and weekends.

Verbrugge, a self-described recovering introvert, deepens his voice and cranks up his volume, his baritone booming to thousands of Golden Gopher fans at stadiums and arenas as the voice of five University of Minnesota sports.

"That's another Gooolllden Gopherrr," he projects at football games before trailing off to let the crowd finish: "First down!"

Now in his 35th year announcing for the U, Verbrugge has added sports to his roster through the decades; he started with wrestling, then took the microphone for men's hockey, football and later men's basketball and baseball.

It's a busy side gig that has its own stresses, but it lets him be part of Minnesota sports teams that he's loved since he was a kid.

"It's completely different from what I do most of the day. It's a little bit of a recharger for me," he said, adding with a smile, "I get to yell at thousands of people, and nobody gets to talk back to me."

Go Gophers!!
I played Youth Baseball for his kid for a couple of years (sorry to the older posters, I'm only 21). Jamie was one of the nicest dads there time and time again. Absolute stand-up guy every time I talked with him.

And for those more curious about the "Minnesota's fourth largest city" breakdown...
POP.
Duluth was #3 for a long time....probably struggle to stay in the top 10 in a decade or two.

I've always enjoyed his voice. Never knew the name/face behind the voice but hearing it instantly makes me think Gopher football.

Similar to Mike Grimm. He has his flaws (officials) but he is my generations Ray Christiansen. Hearing Grimm is Gopher Football.

And for those more curious about the "Minnesota's fourth largest city" breakdown...
POP.
Duluth was #3 for a long time....probably struggle to stay in the top 10 in a decade or two.
Disagree with this analysis.
Currently sits 5th.

Maintaining fairly stable population (slight decrease). But smaller decrease than 4, 5, 6, and everyone 13-20

It’ll stay 4-10 range for the next 2 decades

POP.
I knew Rochester had surpassed Bloomington around the beginning of the century, but did not know the gap was that big currently.

If Duluth stays perfectly flat in 2030 census (which it actually grew a nice amount in 2020), Blaine would need to grow another ~21% to overtake it, similarly for Woodbury and Lakeville. I think it’s not impossible for all three, but still a tall task in one additional decade. Two much more doable.

But again assumes no further growth in Duluth, which I’m not sure makes sense. It is like the Mecca of outdoors in MN. Liberal outdoorsmen. Their own kind. Some job opportunities up there too, Cirrus etc.

Jamie is the best in the business along with the retired Chuck Crabb at Indiana. One of the reasons along with Mrs Gil on why I like Gopher Football.

Some of you never heard Julius Perlt, and it shows. 😎

Top Bottom