STrib: Gophers tight ends, led by Ko Kieft, prep for evolving role

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Gophers offensive coordinator Mike Sanford Jr. is seeking more productivity throughout his offense, and Kieft, a redshirt senior, and Brevyn Spann-Ford, a 6-7, 270-pound redshirt junior, offer Morgan a pair of large targets at tight end.

"They've been improving daily, and continued improvement is going to be needed," Sanford said Thursday. "That tight end group has experience."

Later Thursday, the top Gophers wide receiver, Chris Autman-Bell, suffered a right leg injury and was helped off the field during the team's open practice at Huntington Bank Stadium. The Gophers haven't given a status update on Autman-Bell, whose 78 career catches are 63 more than any teammate. Coach P.J. Fleck is next scheduled to speak with the media on Monday.

If Autman-Bell misses significant time, increased productivity from the tight ends could help fill any gaps.

"We're going to do our job, whatever play's called," Kieft said at the start of training camp. "That's our focus. If more pass plays get called for us, we're going to make more plays. If we're told we've got to block, that's all we're focused on."

Go Gophers!!

I certainly would find throwing to the TEs more plausible in a post Johnson / Bateman ... and CAB hurt kind of scenario. Before that taking opportunities from Johnson / Bateman with any frequency would have been kinda absurd.

The question for me then would be how much protection we could provide to do that thing too...

In other news, the check is in the mail, and you can trust me in the morning.

Don't get me wrong - I would like to see them use the TE's more in the passing game. it's just that we've heard this song before. Seeing is believing.
Yeah, feels like a bit of a head fake to me.

I certainly would find throwing to the TEs more plausible in a post Johnson / Bateman ... and CAB hurt kind of scenario. Before that taking opportunities from Johnson / Bateman with any frequency would have been kinda absurd.

The question for me then would be how much protection we could provide to do that thing too...
Maybe something like that delayed seam route Kill would run. TE stays in to get a block then releases up the middle. Always seemed to get 10-15 yards.

Put the huge tight ends out there with the massive, experienced offensive linemen and try to run teams over with the all-Big Ten RB.

Put the huge tight ends out there with the massive, experienced offensive linemen and try to run teams over with the all-Big Ten RB.
Sounds good to me. Whatever works!

Maybe something like that delayed seam route Kill would run. TE stays in to get a block then releases up the middle. Always seemed to get 10-15 yards.
Drew Goodger?

Top Bottom