STrib: Gophers offense adjusts to new look in spring football practice

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Demry Croft wore wrist bands on each arm Tuesday, during the Gophers’ first spring practice, but not for play-calling purposes.

Maybe he wanted to wipe away sweat. Maybe he just likes the look. But the sight of a Gophers quarterback, standing in the huddle, staring into his wrist band while delivering the play call has vanished.

It’s just one of the subtle changes the Gophers are making under coach Tracy Claeys and new offensive coordinator Jay Johnson.

“I believe the quarterback has to be in charge in the huddle,” Claeys said. “He has to be looking in peoples’ eyes. So he’ll be more like a true leader, rather than reading something off a wrist band.”

Claeys acknowledged that the new systems slowed things a bit Tuesday, as the team allowed more time between plays to make sure players understood the terminology and assignments.

Before long, the Gophers expect to speed things considerably. Claeys likes the idea of being a no-huddle team. That doesn’t mean the Gophers constantly will play up-tempo, like Oregon and Texas Tech.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...w-look-in-spring-football-practice/370745371/

Go Gophers!!

I like what I'm hearing from Johnson. Sounds like he has a system, and the team is running drills that are designed to support that system. In other words - there's a plan in place.

I hope this leads to the Gophers really establishing an offensive identity. Under Limegrover and Kill, we heard a lot of talk about "we want to run the ball," but there were times when it looked like the team really wasn't sure of what it was trying to accomplish.

I for one am going to miss those inside runs with the defense selling out with 8 or 9 in the box. Good times.

per Joe:

Demry Croft wore wrist bands on each arm Tuesday, during the Gophers’ first spring practice, but not for play-calling purposes.

Maybe he wanted to wipe away sweat. Maybe he just likes the look. But the sight of a Gophers quarterback, standing in the huddle, staring into his wrist band while delivering the play call has vanished.

It’s just one of the subtle changes the Gophers are making under coach Tracy Claeys and new offensive coordinator Jay Johnson.
“I believe the quarterback has to be in charge in the huddle,” Claeys said. “He has to be looking in peoples’ eyes. So he’ll be more like a true leader, rather than reading something off a wrist band.” http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...w-look-in-spring-football-practice/370745371/
Go Gophers!!
Is Claeys overthinking this? I'm more concerned about what happens after the ball is snapped than what occurs in the huddle. Time will tell, Go Gophers!

Is Claeys overthinking this? I'm more concerned about what happens after the ball is snapped than what occurs in the huddle. Time will tell, Go Gophers!

Yeah I don't totally get that one either. He is going to have to look somewhere to get the plays whether that is a wristband, someone signaling from the sideline, or those big cards that lots of teams use. No matter what he is going to spend part of the play clock looking somewhere else. Now if we go no huddle the QB is never looking in the eyes of the other guys because the play is being called at the line anyway.

I for one am going to miss those inside runs with the defense selling out with 8 or 9 in the box. Good times.

Coach has said 75% of the offense will remain the same. Maybe they have a goal of keeping this.

He's probably placing more emphasis than needed, but that kind of thinking plays into the hard-nosed, "we are tougher than you" attitude Claeys wants with the offense.

It could just be that that's the way Johnson does it and Claeys needed a reason to be O.K with it?

Coach has said 75% of the offense will remain the same. Maybe they have a goal of keeping this.

It will continue happening all of the time. It happens for every team that runs the ball a lot.

If he believes this then yes. My guess is he was asked a question about it and just kept adding things on as he went. I hope that was it at least.

It will continue happening all of the time. It happens for every team that runs the ball a lot.

Well...yeah?

<div style="position: relative; height: 0; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 56.25%"><iframe style="position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%;" width="560" height="315" src="//popkey.co/m/47E8D-shifty+eyes/embed" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe></div>

One part of the QB position is to make sure the offense is on one accord. Focused and sure of the play. The QB can see if all understand, have doubt, etc. The flipside is if the QB has doubt, etc., the team can pick that up as well.

Good QBs do sell with their eyes. Quite often opposing secondary/ linebackers buy what they are selling...

One part of the QB position is to make sure the offense is on one accord. Focused and sure of the play. The QB can see if all understand, have doubt, etc. The flipside is if the QB has doubt, etc., the team can pick that up as well.

Good QBs do sell with their eyes. Quite often opposing secondary/ linebackers buy what they are selling...

So you are buying that our offense will be more confident/better if ML7 is looking them in the eye in the huddle?

On the wrist-band deal, I get the sense that this is an attitude thing. Instead of having the QB read the play off a wrist-band - making him the messenger boy for the coaches - it sounds like Claeys and Johnson want the QB really taking control of the huddle - "All right - here's the play we're running!" It's a difference in style - not substance. yes, it's the same play, but it's being presented to the players in a slightly different fashion.

For me, what this says is that Claeys and Johnson have a specific vision for how the offense should be run, and they're going to do things their way. It may work - it may not - but at least Claeys seems to know what he wants to do, and he won't be shy about putting his plan into place.

Most likely the coaches spoke with the kids re: misreads/poor routes in 2015 and determined that roles were not being clearly defined in the huddle. This will get rid of the excuse 'i didn't know i was spose ta....'

They should go back to drawing them in the dirt. There should be some left over from Brewster's Rose Bowl turf.

So you are buying that our offense will be more confident/better if ML7 is looking them in the eye in the huddle?

It is like other have said, the QB is more in charge and can judge the players in the huddle. He knows the play and it comes directly from him instead of reading a piece of paper in front of everyone. The QB can start visualizing the play and may even put in his audible, based upon player input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is like other have said, the QB is more in charge and can judge the players in the huddle. He knows the play and it comes directly from him instead of reading a piece of paper in front of everyone. The QB can start visualizing the play and may even put in his audible, based upon player input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope. Reading way too much into it. If you can make a claim that it improves communication so that everyone is on the same page I may buy it. The idea that having the QB look folks in the eye and 'judge their thoughts' while calling a play will improve things is waaaaay overthinking it.

This change will have zero impact on the success of the offense. Zip, 0, Zilch, Zulu.

I hope we have more of a gun slinger attitude on offense. I hated the "Aw shucks Limy let's keep it simple stupid"

The focus on wrist bands, come on man! Where is the word on the change to gap blocking?

The focus on wrist bands, come on man! Where is the word on the change to gap blocking?

I really hope they are able to mix up the attack and increase execution a bit more with the new personnel.

The excellent Derek Burns summarizes:

TDG: Is there anything about Minnesota's current approach (scheme, playcalls, etc) that you would change if you could?

DG: I'd like to see them develop more plays to counter defenses selling out to stop the power run. Any team would like to run their favorite play successfully no matter what the defense is doing but in reality the overwhelming majority offenses are not dominant enough to do so. If a defense is cheating outside zone you run inside zone, if they're cheating isolation you run counter, if they're cheating option you run dive and so on. To some degree the Gophers use zone read and jet sweep to counter teams loading against power but I'd like to see some other options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TDG: If you had to explain the difficulties faced by the Minnesota offensive line this year, what causes would you point to?

DB: I'm not trying to avoid the question but there is no simple answer. In my opinion it's a combination of injuries, execution, they've played some pretty good defenses, and they haven't had much help from the passing game.

The two things I believe that would help them improve this year are: get guys healthy and find a way to take some pressure off the running game. Whether that's more play action on 1st/2nd down, developing a vertical passing game or something else. Anything that can help take the pressure off inside running.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/...e-line-blocking-injury-scheme-matt-limegrover

Will getting rid of wrist bands make it easier for the QB and offensive personnel to communicate adjustments based on what everyone sees working/not working, being wide open, etc...?

IMHO, if it works more often than not it will make for a fun huddle.

Will getting rid of wrist bands make it easier for the QB and offensive personnel to communicate adjustments based on what everyone sees working/not working, being wide open, etc...?

IMHO, if it works more often than not it will make for a fun huddle.

The difference is getting the play from the sideline vs getting info that needs to be cross-ref'd to the wrist band. It isn't like they are now taking input and then voting in the huddle.

I swear this is the dumbest conversation I can recall on GH. Thinking this change is going to help (or hurt) the offense. If there was a "better" way wouldn't everyone do it the same. So dumb.

The wristbands do make it possible to communicate the play quickly (just signaling in a play number instead of the personnel/formation/ entire play name; or waiting for a player to bring in the play from the sideline). It will be interesting to see if this impacts the number of delay of game penalties or last second timeouts to avoid them.

I really hope they are able to mix up the attack and increase execution a bit more with the new personnel.

The excellent Derek Burns summarizes:

TDG: Is there anything about Minnesota's current approach (scheme, playcalls, etc) that you would change if you could?

DG: I'd like to see them develop more plays to counter defenses selling out to stop the power run. Any team would like to run their favorite play successfully no matter what the defense is doing but in reality the overwhelming majority offenses are not dominant enough to do so. If a defense is cheating outside zone you run inside zone, if they're cheating isolation you run counter, if they're cheating option you run dive and so on. To some degree the Gophers use zone read and jet sweep to counter teams loading against power but I'd like to see some other options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TDG: If you had to explain the difficulties faced by the Minnesota offensive line this year, what causes would you point to?

DB: I'm not trying to avoid the question but there is no simple answer. In my opinion it's a combination of injuries, execution, they've played some pretty good defenses, and they haven't had much help from the passing game.

The two things I believe that would help them improve this year are: get guys healthy and find a way to take some pressure off the running game. Whether that's more play action on 1st/2nd down, developing a vertical passing game or something else. Anything that can help take the pressure off inside running.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/...e-line-blocking-injury-scheme-matt-limegrover

amen!

The wristbands do make it possible to communicate the play quickly (just signaling in a play number instead of the personnel/formation/ entire play name; or waiting for a player to bring in the play from the sideline). It will be interesting to see if this impacts the number of delay of game penalties or last second timeouts to avoid them.

Those penalties will be more than balanced out by the "look you in the eye" benefits. IALTO.

I hope we have more of a gun slinger attitude on offense. I hated the "Aw shucks Limy let's keep it simple stupid"
Do we have a receiver with a ten foot vertical who can grab those high throws Mitch tosses?

Many teams work to establish the run, we spent last season establishing that we couldn't run.

I have perhaps an irrational exuberance that Bart Miller is the real deal. Is it August yet?

In a way, yes. Is it the end all and be all of everything? No. A QB that is in command/ in charge of the huddle is important. I even had a coach that benched players for disrupting the huddle.

The QB runs things!

We will just agree to disagree.

Nope. Reading way too much into it. If you can make a claim that it improves communication so that everyone is on the same page I may buy it. The idea that having the QB look folks in the eye and 'judge their thoughts' while calling a play will improve things is waaaaay overthinking it.

This change will have zero impact on the success of the offense. Zip, 0, Zilch, Zulu.

Well, it can and does. Again, agree to disagree.

Top Bottom