STrib: Gophers football ready to 'draw a line in the sand' after Michigan debacle

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

Fleck and a trio of players fielded questions after the game, and each credited Michigan for their dominance, lamented the Gophers' lack of execution and vowed to improve from the experience.

"We've got to draw a line in the sand and get after this next half of the season," Fleck said. "That was my whole message."

Halfway through the season, the Gophers are 3-3 overall and 1-2 in the Big Ten. They have a bye this week before returning to play Oct. 21 at Iowa. That game starts a six-week run that will determine whether they will contend for the Big Ten West title or even get to six wins to qualify for a bowl game.

The first half of their schedule included losses to a top-five team in Michigan and a top-15 squad in North Carolina. Among their remaining opponents, only No. 3 Ohio State is ranked, while Iowa and Wisconsin are expected to be favorites against the Gophers. Minnesota could be favored against Michigan State, Illinois and Purdue.

No matter what the oddsmakers say, the Gophers will need to improve in every facet of their game if they want to make the season a success. Their offense, particularly in the passing game, took a step back against Michigan, which ranks No. 2 nationally in passing defense. Athan Kaliakmanis threw two interceptions that were returned for touchdowns, the first coming 12 seconds into the game. He completed five of 15 passes for 52 yards, and in losses to North Carolina and Michigan, he went 16-for-34 (47.1%) for 185 yards and one touchdown with two interceptions.

"We're just ready to learn," Kaliakmanis said. "We're excited to learn and be hard on ourselves. And we're going to be ready for Iowa."

Go Gophers!!

OK, draw the line. Thing is we need more than a line, we need better talent and better coaching during the game. Too late this year coach.

I still like AK and think he has a ton of potential. But I have my doubts that just "being hard on yourself" will lead to better results. I've heard him in a many press conferences, especially after bad games, talk about how hard they are on themselves. Heck, I used to be that way when I was a kid too, thinking that if I could be my own worst critic, I would get better at everything. But that mindset can be a detriment too.

That being said, they had better be ready for Iowa. The hawkeyes have a ton of injuries and are a statistically worse offense than even the Gophers (hard to believe). I know playing on the road at Iowa is difficult, but if you can't do it this year, when can you do it?

PJ has historically had the team prepared coming off bye weeks, so I am hopeful.
I will feel a whole lot better about the season after winning back the pig.

Draw it deep and hard
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I hope that the line being drawn is "coaching for your job" for some of the coaches this year. Heck, give Simon the reigns on play calling for a few games and just see if things improve. If so, the fire Harbaugh and get a competent QB coach next season.

If Simon also can't perform, well, if you truly want to help him grow into a competent OC, then you need to give him another competent OC to learn under...

Wish the line had been drawn in the 4th quarter of the Northworstern game. That's where the season came off the rails
The season came off the rails in the mind of some fans but the team is still sitting at 3-3 with 2 loses to top 15 teams. The Northwestern collapse is disappointing and never should have happened but the team can still have a very good season if they get their crap together and play well over the final 6 games.

Things are not nearly as hopeless as some posters in here are making it out to be. The remaining schedule outside of Ohio State is very manageable.

The season came off the rails in the mind of some fans but the team is still sitting at 3-3 with 2 loses to top 15 teams. The Northwestern collapse is disappointing and never should have happened but the team can still have a very good season if they get their crap together and play well over the final 6 games.

Things are not nearly as hopeless as some posters in here are making it out to be. The remaining schedule outside of Ohio State is very manageable.
Thanks Heather

I would scrape nails across a chalkboard if that got better execution, but if it can be had by just drawing a line in the sand I could be happy.

Yeah, didn't you know that??

Any time you want during the season, you get one free "OK guys, time to draw a line in the sand" moment where it works.

This is as good a time as any

I still like AK and think he has a ton of potential. But I have my doubts that just "being hard on yourself" will lead to better results. I've heard him in a many press conferences, especially after bad games, talk about how hard they are on themselves. Heck, I used to be that way when I was a kid too, thinking that if I could be my own worst critic, I would get better at everything. But that mindset can be a detriment too.

That being said, they had better be ready for Iowa. The hawkeyes have a ton of injuries and are a statistically worse offense than even the Gophers (hard to believe). I know playing on the road at Iowa is difficult, but if you can't do it this year, when can you do it?

PJ has historically had the team prepared coming off bye weeks, so I am hopeful.
What? He’s 2-3 coming out of bye weeks in the full seasons he’s been here.

The Gophers have one of the toughest schedules. Every MI faced got blown out.

The players should holds their heads high.

There are valuable lessons learned as pointed out. There’s plenty to upgrade or fix. Okay.

They miss the dynamic play calling of KC. Our lost is Rutger’s gain. PJ needs difficult conversations with coaching.

Glad the Gophers are drawing a line. Going into the Iowa game, inquiring minds want to know: On what side of the line is covering Iowa's TE?

Last edited:

The Gophers have one of the toughest schedules. Every MI faced got blown out.

The players should holds their heads high.

There are valuable lessons learned as pointed out. There’s plenty to upgrade or fix. Okay.

They miss the dynamic play calling of KC. Our lost is Rutger’s gain. PJ needs difficult conversations with coaching.
I don't know about holding their heads high. I lost games i got pissed. Doesn't matter the opponent, other than you lose to Northwestern you should be at the highest level of pissed.

I don't know about holding their heads high. I lost games i got pissed. Doesn't matter the opponent, other than you lose to Northwestern you should be at the highest level of pissed.
It is bothersome that the Gophers continue to lose games like that. I agree. They need that killer-instinct non-vanilla flavor.

Per Randy:

Fleck and a trio of players fielded questions after the game, and each credited Michigan for their dominance, lamented the Gophers' lack of execution and vowed to improve from the experience.

"We've got to draw a line in the sand and get after this next half of the season," Fleck said. "That was my whole message."

Halfway through the season, the Gophers are 3-3 overall and 1-2 in the Big Ten. They have a bye this week before returning to play Oct. 21 at Iowa. That game starts a six-week run that will determine whether they will contend for the Big Ten West title or even get to six wins to qualify for a bowl game.

The first half of their schedule included losses to a top-five team in Michigan and a top-15 squad in North Carolina. Among their remaining opponents, only No. 3 Ohio State is ranked, while Iowa and Wisconsin are expected to be favorites against the Gophers. Minnesota could be favored against Michigan State, Illinois and Purdue.

No matter what the oddsmakers say, the Gophers will need to improve in every facet of their game if they want to make the season a success. Their offense, particularly in the passing game, took a step back against Michigan, which ranks No. 2 nationally in passing defense. Athan Kaliakmanis threw two interceptions that were returned for touchdowns, the first coming 12 seconds into the game. He completed five of 15 passes for 52 yards, and in losses to North Carolina and Michigan, he went 16-for-34 (47.1%) for 185 yards and one touchdown with two interceptions.

"We're just ready to learn," Kaliakmanis said. "We're excited to learn and be hard on ourselves. And we're going to be ready for Iowa."

Go Gophers!!

Exactly. They *slightly* righted the ship the following week, then Michigan happened. This team is still not all that good, but I think they're better than what Michigan made them look like.

As someone else said earlier, this is a team that should be able to go into Iowa and win a slugfest, but it'll take better play than we've seen.

A thought that crossed my mind, hasn't PJ used similar language to "drawing a line" when a coordinators job is on the line? I have a vague memory of similar language being used toward the end of 2021 which ended in Sanford not having his contract renewed and earlier in 2018 before Robb Smith was fired mid season. Maybe this is a hint that Harbaugh is coaching for his job at this point?

Does anyone else remember a similar vibe/language? Or am I just reading too far into this hoping we make changes at OC/QB coach in the office season?

I don’t know about that, but I recall the offense miraculously improving for the Iowa game in 2021. Draw your own conclusions, I’ve drawn mine that Sanford was “benched” as playcaller and Simon took over.

Would be just fine if that happened here again!

What? He’s 2-3 coming out of bye weeks in the full seasons he’s been here.
Ya, I had looked that up too and I was surprised because bowl games are similar prep and we are undefeated.
I just feel like we can prepare for Iowa this time and get it done in an ugly fashion. We need our running backs healthy. Hopefully, that is the case.
The combination of Michigan stomping us and never having beaten Iowa, I think we rise up and compete.

Ya, I had looked that up too and I was surprised because bowl games are similar prep and we are undefeated.
I just feel like we can prepare for Iowa this time and get it done in an ugly fashion. We need our running backs healthy. Hopefully, that is the case.
The combination of Michigan stomping us and never having beaten Iowa, I think we rise up and compete.
The good news is that Fleck is comfortable playing Iowa's style of game.

The bad news is that we have found ways to beat ourselves against them in recent years when we had very winnable games but managed to come up short.

Play mistake free, avoid killer turnovers and I like our chances of coming away with a low scoring victory in what will probably be a crazy short game since neither team is going to want to put the ball in the air much.

Top Bottom