STrib: Gophers football players tackle a history of racism

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

History repeating.

When Rashod Bateman heard of George Floyd’s killing on a south Minneapolis street last week, another black person’s death in police custody, the Gophers receiver’s first thought: “Here we go again.” For tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford: “Not really shocking.”

Seeing a white officer kneel on Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes brought back what receiver Seth Green understood at 19 years old, cuffed and held at gunpoint outside the Dinkytown McDonald’s for fitting a description from a recent burglary: “It wasn’t a matter of if. It was a matter of when.”

Gophers radio broadcaster and former star running back Darrell Thompson had the same tearful conversation with his sons, including Gophers receiver True Thompson, as his father had with him: “When I was a kid, I asked my dad, ‘Why do people hate me because I’m black?’ He said, ‘I don’t know.’ And I had to say the same thing to my kids.”

History repeating.

Many former and current Gophers football players have grown up accepting racism as commonplace. But in the wake of Floyd’s death, they’ve decided now is the time to say: enough.

“There’s a lot of times in my life where I kind of ignored racism and didn’t stand up for it because it was normal for me,” Bateman said, referencing how he used to alter the way he dressed, cover up his tattoos, not take his white high school girlfriend out in public because of her disapproving family. “… When I first said that I wanted to be proactive and spread awareness, I just sat down, I came in my room by myself, and I just started taking notes on what I can do.”

Go Gophers!!

Also nice to read the thoughts and experiences of Brevyn and Seth. So easy to get wrapped up in just seeing these guys as football players and forget they're young men figuring out their futures and roles in society.

Yeah great article and loved reading about the leadership of these young men.

Great piece. When one of our sons asked me at 9 years old why he was called the N word and told by some kids they hated him, i told him because they were ignorant, scared or both. We explained that the majority of people worldwide were not even aware of how skin color got dark. We told them there were limits on what they could do only if they let someone limit them. My father taught me that anger, stupidity and laziness were diseases. Nearly all people can learn from each other. How to be kinder, more thoughtful but always calm assertive. Fleck will have a tremendous influence on so many kids because he cares, he listens.

Top Bottom