STrib: Gophers face potential $75 million athletics revenue hit; Coyle, others take pay cuts

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

The “severe” scenario would occur if there were no games played through the fall, including home football games, which are essential to any athletic department budget.

A $75 million hit in revenue in that “severe” scenario would be down from the $130.5 million the department reported for the 2018-19 school year. The Gophers reported $129.5 million in expenses in that same fiscal year, though those likely would decrease without team travel, recruiting visits and event expenses.

“It is also important to note that the models presented [Tuesday] reflect only potential lost revenue and do not take into consideration any expenses that would not be incurred in each scenario,” Coyle’s statement read.

Major revenue hits already have struck. For example, the NCAA has announced it plans to distribute $225 million to Division I schools in June. That’s less than half of its budgeted $600 million after the pandemic forced the cancellation of the league’s massive revenue generator, the NCAA men’s basketball tournament.

In the entire University of Minnesota community, the only other categories projecting more losses than athletics in this worst-case scenario are tuition and fees, which anticipates to miss $85 million to $90 million, and University of Minnesota Physicians, which stands to lose $200 million from canceled or postponed procedures.

While the Gophers haven’t yet announced what cuts the athletics department is prepared to make, there is some precedent from other schools. Iowa State announced a week ago that coaches took a one-year, temporary pay reduction to reduce the payroll by more than $3 million, part of a plan to save that university $4 million overall.

Indications within the Gophers athletics department are that more coaches would be open to voluntary pay cuts, especially if it is a way to avoid cutting programs. Nonrevenue sports especially will try to be creative with their budgets, including revising travel costs, in order to keep their programs alive.

Go Gophers!!

This won’t happen two football seasons in a row.

Thus it is a one time blip.

Therefore, taking unusual measures to keep athletics budgets as close to normal as possible, should be approved. Loans, bonds, whatever.

No sports cuts allowed!

Wow. I think USAF might want to get used to Coach Pitino.

This won’t happen two football seasons in a row.

Thus it is a one time blip.

Therefore, taking unusual measures to keep athletics budgets as close to normal as possible, should be approved. Loans, bonds, whatever.

No sports cuts allowed!

Probably not a one-time blip. Colleges, public and private alike, are going to have to carefully reconsider their funding priorities.

Probably not a one-time blip. Colleges, public and private alike, are going to have to carefully reconsider their funding priorities.
I have a feeling that on line extension courses are going to be in huge demand. Combine college debt with the new Covid 19 fears and the decreasing value of a college degree and it seems to add up to more and more on line teaching.

I have a feeling that on line extension courses are going to be in huge demand. Combine college debt with the new Covid 19 fears and the decreasing value of a college degree and it seems to add up to more and more on line teaching.

I think so. It could also spell trouble for the boutique colleges and put a kabash on the upper middle class kids that flee their state to pay inflated tuition at out-of-state public schools. On the other hand, smaller state schools might be seen as a better value (they are).

I wonder what their plans are in terms of sending out renewals for season ticket holders. This will be a hard consideration for them and fans.

I wonder what their plans are in terms of sending out renewals for season ticket holders. This will be a hard consideration for them and fans.

Hopefully they think it through. Hard to know if it's better to move the renewal process ahead right away, or wait until August when people may have a better sense of their intermediate financial situation.

Football and volleyball renewals were originally due April 16 and have been extended to June 11. I am sure that they will try to be as flexible as possible to keep as many people on-board as they can. They will likely proceed with as many renewals as they can and have indicated that there will be full refunds, including scholarship seating donations, if seasons are cancelled, shortened or played without fans.

Top Bottom