STrib: Gophers dress for success on football field, in recruiting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Gold helmets with maroon uniforms. Maroon pants and maroon helmets with white unis. White uniforms with gold helmets and pants. The all-maroon look.

This mixing and matching — 36 potential gameday ensembles — is the Gophers’ take on college football’s hottest trend. Uniform mishmashing, jumbling and redesigning — it’s more fashionable than the read option or no-huddle offenses these days.

And while they lack (thankfully, some would say) the countless blinding neon green and biohazard yellow options of the Oregon Ducks, the Gophers have their three dozen combos between their home, road and alternate uniforms to keep pace with the flashy trend.

“It just gives us a different look, a little different option for the guys,” said Kyle Gergely, Gophers football director of equipment operations. “Gives us a little extra ‘juice’ if you will, because in our eyes, the alternate uniform is more of a players’ uniform as opposed to what we traditionally do.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/286629171.html

Go Gophers!!

Well that settles it. Gold over maroon IS the best!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: We have two helmets, 3 jerseys and 3 pants options.

That's 18 combos......where are they getting 36?

The uniform business is out of hand - I notice some schools have stopped it. Identity is established by uniforms, so settle on one for the road, one at home, and maybe one for very special games (all-maroons?).

As a coach, let the players decide stuff that's not important

The uniform business is out of hand - I notice some schools have stopped it. Identity is established by uniforms, so settle on one for the road, one at home, and maybe one for very special games (all-maroons?).
Yes, branding is important but we are within maroon and gold. It is far more important in the big picture how we play.
How successful we are on the field. If by giving the players ownership over the uniforms they are going to feel more invested, buy in to a greater extent that it is "their" team...then by all means let the players choose the uniforms.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: We have two helmets, 3 jerseys and 3 pants options.

#MathFail

the article subhead even says there's nine uniform combos (to go along with two helmet options)

He forgot to mention the silk and lace cravat.

What's next, eye shadow and mascara?

You're forgetting the different colored jock straps.

The team better leave early for Orlando. The media has run out of ideas.

Time to quit calling them uniforms.:rolleyes:
No... the team is still wearing "one form". The "uni" prefix doesn't refer to number of combinations, but that all members of the team are wearing the same thing.

What's a bigger draw for recruits, the academics of the U or the number of uniform combinations? :p

The only thing better than this type a thread is one related to forecasting game day weather.

• [*=center][h=3]Thu[/h][h=4]Jan 1[/h]
    Increasing cloudiness68°Lo 50°

Hi 68°RealFeel® 67°Precipitation 10%​

[h=4]Day[/h]
<embed height="76" flashvars="" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2010/flash/wind-arm-small.swf?speed=7mph&direction=n&units=mph" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="84" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always">

N
E
S
W

• N 7 mph
  • Gusts: 18 mph
Increasing cloudiness

• Max UV Index: 4 (Moderate)
  • Thunderstorms: 0%
  • Precipitation: 0 in
  • Rain: 0 in
  • Snow: 0 in
  • Ice: 0 in
  • Hours of Precipitation: 0 hrs
  • Hours of Rain: 0 hrs
  • Migraine Forecast >

They're counting the white helmets even though they've been painted gold. 3x3x3 equal 27 though so 36????

Gold Hats, Gold Uni's, Gold Pants- Golden Gophers!

Top Bottom