STrib: Gophers defense remains potent with Thomas Rush, Boye Mafe delivering the heat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Johnson:

On Saturday, Fleck and Co. likely will need Mafe and Rush to be standouts again against Purdue (3-1, 0-1 Big Ten), a team that has sputtered offensively because of injuries but still is potent under offensive-minded coach Jeff Brohm. The game offers a chance for the Gophers (2-2, 0-1) to at least partially rid themselves of the Bowling Green blues.

"The key that we started to take together as a defense as a whole is just being connected,'' said Rush, who had two sacks at Colorado and one against Bowling Green. "… Everyone is together knowing that to be a successful defense, we have to work together.''

Added Mafe, who has two sacks in each of the past two games: "In the last two games, you've seen improvement, and I think you're just seeing the players play in unison now.''

Go Gophers!!

Sounds good to me. We'll see what happens Saturday.

There are reasons to be optimistic at this point, I have to admit. I think most of the members of the DL rotation have shown flashes at various points in the 4 games so far to have some optimism for not only the rest of the year but beyond.

Not to nit-pick but wouldn't the defense have to have been potent at some point previously for it to "remain" potent?

There are reasons to be optimistic at this point, I have to admit. I think most of the members of the DL rotation have shown flashes at various points in the 4 games so far to have some optimism for not only the rest of the year but beyond.

Not to nit-pick but wouldn't the defense have to have been potent at some point previously for it to "remain" potent?

We'll always have the Colorado game!

Go Gophers!!

We'll always have the Colorado game!

Go Gophers!!
Ha! Well done, Bleed. You made me laugh. I hadn't thought of the context Johnson was referring to; I was thinking more in a historical context, previous handful of years, etc. Gave me a good laugh though!

Top Bottom