STrib: Gophers big man Pharrel Payne: High school benchwarmer to NBA dreams

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

There was a time when Gophers big man Pharrel Payne didn't think he had a future in basketball.

Growing up, he wasn't motivated to play or interested in watching sports. After spending years on C teams in youth basketball, Payne thought about quitting after beginning his high school career as a reserve on the Park of Cottage Grove freshman team.

"I was like, I don't know if I want to keep on doing this," the powerfully built, 6-9, 255-pound sophomore said. "I didn't think I'd ever make it."

Payne's family never let him give up on basketball.

Son to Cameroon immigrants who traveled to this country 20 years ago, Payne's hardworking parents raised their children "to put all of your effort forth" into everything you do, Payne said. "Growing up, I had super supportive parents."

Payne has gone from high school benchwarmer to having NBA dreams. His development is reminiscent of former Gophers All-America Daniel Oturu, who was an NBA second-round draft choice after his sophomore year in 2020.

"He's progressed in a really good way," Gophers coach Ben Johnson said. "That's the one thing you see when you come off a freshman year where you played a lot. You feel older. You act older. Now we've got to continue to build his confidence every day."

Go Gophers!!

Good article, I’m really excited to see Payne this year. My biggest concern is his health. I don’t love that he’s starting the season on the bench.

Top Bottom