STrib: Gophers basketball in the market for much-needed frontcourt depth

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Who will be the man in the middle for new Gophers basketball coach Ben Johnson next season?

Johnson and his coaching staff are busy searching the transfer portal to add much-needed size and depth to the frontcourt to compete in the Big Ten. They currently don't have a player on the roster to play the center role.

"It's a dog fight," Johnson told the Star Tribune recently. "Anytime you see guys available at [point guard and center] it's a dog fight. For us, I feel pretty comfortable with what we have in the backcourt and on the perimeter. So, now it's trying to add depth to our frontcourt."

A year ago, Johnson's predecessor Richard Pitino found the replacement for All-American and NBA draft pick Daniel Oturu when he landed Drake 7-footer Liam Robbins in the spring.

Robbins leaving the Gophers for Vanderbilt (with his uncle and associate head coach Ed Conroy following) this spring opened up a significant hole at center for the U for the second straight offseason.

"Bigs are hard to find," Johnson said. "They're not just walking down the street – guys with size. And on top of that, size plus the ability to play at this level is hard to come by. Everybody wants them. You just got to find creative ways to hopefully put yourself into position to get one of them."

Go Gophers!!

take it for what it's worth - but Doogie was on with Mackey and Judd, and Doogie said the Gophers have "an injury situation" that will impact the front court for next year. Doogie said that was one of the reasons why the coaches are prioritizing front-court players in the portal and HS recruiting.

I have no idea what he's alluding to. but if it's an injury that will impact next year's team, then it either has to be Ihnen, the incoming FR Thompson, or one of the incoming transfers. Doogie mentioned it twice, so he certainly believes it.

take it for what it's worth - but Doogie was on with Mackey and Judd, and Doogie said the Gophers have "an injury situation" that will impact the front court for next year. Doogie said that was one of the reasons why the coaches are prioritizing front-court players in the portal and HS recruiting.

I have no idea what he's alluding to. but if it's an injury that will impact next year's team, then it either has to be Ihnen, the incoming FR Thompson, or one of the incoming transfers. Doogie mentioned it twice, so he certainly believes it.
He also said it on his scoops pod.

He also said it on his scoops pod.
Why does he need to be so vague to the point where the player can't even be named? (Edit: If said player is not currently on the roster, then that makes sense) Not necessary to give an injury report this time of the year, but if it's so bad it is going to affect the rotation at the start of the season, it will come out any way. Maybe has something to do with the mysterious Parker Fox knee surgery that has been rumored?

Why does he need to be so vague to the point where the player can't even be named? (Edit: If said player is not currently on the roster, then that makes sense) Not necessary to give an injury report this time of the year, but if it's so bad it is going to affect the rotation at the start of the season, it will come out any way. Maybe has something to do with the mysterious Parker Fox knee surgery that has been rumored?
Is this just teaser stuff to keep people coming back for more or is it simply unverified rumors posing as information?

I've heard it's Fox....which would be a big bummer....

I've heard it's Fox....which would be a big bummer....
There have been rumors out there that he hurt his knee....and it's been mentioned on his tweeter feed by others the last couple of weeks. I hope I'm wrong and because I hadn't heard confirmation of it and I thought it was only a rumor.....but if it is correct that would be a huge blow.

There have been rumors out there that he hurt his knee....and it's been mentioned on his tweeter feed by others the last couple of weeks. I hope I'm wrong and because I hadn't heard confirmation of it and I thought it was only a rumor.....but if it is correct that would be a huge blow.
Seems odd they would hype his commitment if they know he's out for the year though...

Seems odd they would hype his commitment if they know he's out for the year though...
I agree.....plus it would be a huge blow for them to be competitive next year....which I've been more hopeful than others.

Yup, only thing i've heard is thru here and that Fox had some surgery and something that impacts the front court, I dont see Ihen "impacting" the front court, I see Fox being an impact player in that position or maybe even Battle, but since Fox supposedly had a surgery.

Let's hope not, that would be classic Minnesota luck if that's the case.

Top Bottom