STrib: Former Gophers standout Amir Coffey gains NBA foothold with Clippers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Coffey’s father, Richard, said Clippers executive Jerry West told him that Amir was one of the most underrated players he had ever seen out of college.

“For going undrafted, which we knew was a strong possibility, he ended up in the right place,” Richard Coffey said. “He’s more focused on defense. He’s more focused on how he trains. He’s getting stronger.”

The transition from college to the pro ranks started roughly, though. Coffey was sidelined for months after a severely sprained right ankle during a preseason game in October. He didn’t make his G League debut until Dec. 18, but he played in his first NBA game on New Year’s Eve in Sacramento.

“Just coming back and getting my stride and playing again was fun,” Coffey said. “The first time out there was pretty cool. It was exciting just to finally get out there. Offensively, I would say my three-point shooting percentages have gone up. I feel a lot stronger than when I first came in.”

Coffey’s work ethic and willingness to soak up knowledge made him bond well with Clippers players, especially George and Patrick Beverly. George gave Coffey a bunch of his signature sneakers. Beverly has mentored the rookie from Minnesota. He taught Coffey defensive positioning when they’ve shot around together.

“I’ve done a lot of work and learning from the older guys,” Coffey said. “Just putting all that to use in the time I got was pretty [rewarding].”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom