STrib: Former Gopher Daquein McNeil found not guilty of first-degree murder

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

A Baltimore jury on Friday found former Gophers basketball player Daquein McNeil not guilty of all charges, including a first-degree murder charge, stemming from a house-fire death from June 2017.

"We started the trial last Friday, and the jury got the case today," Marci Johnson, one of public defenders representing McNeil said in an e-mail to the Star Tribune. "The verdict only took them about 40 minutes. We are all greatly relieved."

McNeil's family has called it a case of mistaken identity.

"It is an identity case," Johnson told the Star Tribune last June. "There were some squatters living at a vacant building, and they were on drugs.

On Friday, the jury weighed in with its answers and set McNeil free.

http://www.startribune.com/former-g...-not-guilty-of-first-degree-murder/508180032/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like a ****ty case - one of MANY in Baltimore (Adnan Syed anyone?). Glad he got off. Doesn't happen much for minorities with public defenders unfortunately.

Good for him it must have been very trying to be falsely accused. I hope he can move forward from this and people give him a fair chance.

Meanwhile his life is probably ruined by all this. Hopefully he can dig out of a hole and regroup. Not sure what he will do. I don't think he has a degree or anything.

I think his life was already sort of ruined, but at least he has a chance now to make something of himself, and not rot in prison for 20 plus years.

Maybe this can be a fresh start.

Top Bottom