STrib: First-year phenoms mostly absent in college basketball this season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

With only two freshmen among the 20 finalists for the Wooden Award, that says something about the lack of high-profile first-year stars dominating college basketball this season.

This freshmen class doesn’t have a Zion Williamson or R.J. Barrett, who dominated last year for Duke before leaving for the NBA.

James Wiseman (Memphis) and Anthony Edwards (Georgia) are potential No. 1 NBA draft picks. But after an exciting debut, Wiseman sat out for a violation of NCAA amateur rules and decided not to return to the Tigers. Edwards is playing, but he is far from making Georgia NCAA tournament-worthy.

Duke’s Vernon Carey is a legit national player of the year candidate. Arizona possibly has three lottery picks in former Hopkins star Zeke Nnaji, Josh Green and Nico Mannion.

But overall, this year’s freshmen are good-but-not-great college players. Many more are role players rather than go-to guys. For example, former Rochester John Marshall standout Matthew Hurt, Carey’s teammate at Duke, could be the X-factor on a Final Four team.

There’s nothing wrong with that, especially if these freshmen aren’t consumed during the season with being one-and-done NBA draft picks. Can they focus more on helping their teams win and less on how quickly they can make money by impressing professional scouts?

Go Gophers!!

Hurt was mostly absent and a non factor in Duke's overtime win.

This is the biggest reason why Oturu should go to the draft. If he stayed, I'm sure he would continue to improve. However, this year's class is one of the weakest in recent memory and it would be tough for him to project better than he is this year.

Hurt was mostly absent and a non factor in Duke's overtime win.
I feel bad for him, he made a bad choice. He is/should be... a great 4 year classic college basketball player. Instead he signed up for a one and done factory where other players are the focal point. He could be a major factor here. At Duke, they can and will recruit right over the top of him for next year.

I feel bad for him, he made a bad choice. He is/should be... a great 4 year classic college basketball player. Instead he signed up for a one and done factory where other players are the focal point. He could be a major factor here. At Duke, they can and will recruit right over the top of him for next year.
You feel bad for him. He can transfer anywhere he wants too or stay and likely get to a final 4. He knew exactly what he was getting into. Averaging 10 points a game as a true freshman on one of the best teams in the country sounds pretty good.

You feel bad for him. He can transfer anywhere he wants too or stay and likely get to a final 4. He knew exactly what he was getting into. Averaging 10 points a game as a true freshman on one of the best teams in the country sounds pretty good.
Hurt was the #12 prospect in the country coming out of HS. How do you know that he's content being overshadowed as the 3rd/4th option at Duke?

I like the idea of a kid choosing to go somewhere and make it happen. These kids going to Duke? Bless their hearts but Duke is a factory that will win with or without them. This particular Gopher club might be 4-5 wins better with a pure shooter like Hurt at the 4- he'd be average 30+ minutes and 15 points. He'd be a local hero who built something instead of just another player in the rotation at Duke. He may have a fine career there but he missed a shot at something here. So, yeah I do feel bad for him.

I like the idea of a kid choosing to go somewhere and make it happen. These kids going to Duke? Bless their hearts but Duke is a factory that will win with or without them. This particular Gopher club might be 4-5 wins better with a pure shooter like Hurt at the 4- he'd be average 30+ minutes and 15 points. He'd be a local hero who built something instead of just another player in the rotation at Duke. He may have a fine career there but he missed a shot at something here. So, yeah I do feel bad for him.
Just a different take no big deal. Maybe playing at Duke was his dream, not Minnesota. Not sure the local hero thing here is really that big a deal. What do you actually get for it. Playing for K and at Duke is a much bigger deal to these kids.

Hurt was the #12 prospect in the country coming out of HS. How do you know that he's content being overshadowed as the 3rd/4th option at Duke?
I do not know it. He can quit and transfer whenever he wants. How do you know that he is not thrilled there. He knew he would not be featured there. He knew there were at least three bigger stars there and that going there offered so many things he could not get here.

Just a different take no big deal. Maybe playing at Duke was his dream, not Minnesota. Not sure the local hero thing here is really that big a deal. What do you actually get for it. Playing for K and at Duke is a much bigger deal to these kids.
Yep- it's a different generation. To me the guys who start something great are amazing. Much easier to jump on the wagon.

Yep- it's a different generation. To me the guys who start something great are amazing. Much easier to jump on the wagon.
Agree. I loved what UVA did and to do it in a conference with Duke, UNC , Louisville was so special for Guy,Jerome, Hunter etc.. plus Tony Bennett. Love programs get built with kids from all over that did not even have Duke offers. The best players from the state of Virginia rarely stay home, they pick Duke and UNC.

Let's be honest. The year hasnt gone the way he thought it would go. Played 6 minutes last night and went scoreless. That's great that he might get to final four, but pretty sure hes disappointed the way things have gone. Why only 6 minutes for a guy going to nba?

Let's be honest. The year hasnt gone the way he thought it would go. Played 6 minutes last night and went scoreless. That's great that he might get to final four, but pretty sure hes disappointed the way things have gone. Why only 6 minutes for a guy going to nba?
That's what I'm saying. No way the #12 highschool prospect is happy with 6 minutes and no points. I find it hilarious that his dad played a large role in him not staying home and now he is a fringe starter at Duke. Should've come to the U.

Shot at what here? .500 record in the B1G, maybe one tournament win? Very selfish comment on your end.

I do not know it. He can quit and transfer whenever he wants. How do you know that he is not thrilled there. He knew he would not be featured there. He knew there were at least three bigger stars there and that going there offered so many things he could not get here.

His PT is being taken by upperclassmen that were not as highly touted coming out of HS. He doesn't bring it on the defensive end and does not strike me as a tough-minded player. His fortunes at Duke could change next year, but not necessarily for the better. Contrast that to Oturu who whose return would guarantee national notoriety including a realistic shot at NPOY.

Shot at what here? .500 record in the B1G, maybe one tournament win? Very selfish comment on your end.
In what way is that selfish? Hurt had the potential to be hometown legend and actually be remembered here instead of just another player at the Duke factory.

Hurt would make us a much better team if we had him at the 4. Demir can't guard his own shadow and has an abysmal 3 ball. I think most of the blame is on his dad for pushing him away from the U but I digress. Maybe he'll transfer here after another lackluster season at Puke.

I never saw him play in high school, but the fact that his teams never made it to state says something. Wish him the best but I don't think staying at Duke and spending most of the time on the bench is going to do him any good. Europe ball next year?

In what way is that selfish? Hurt had the potential to be hometown legend and actually be remembered here instead of just another player at the Duke factory.

Hurt would make us a much better team if we had him at the 4. Demir can't guard his own shadow and has an abysmal 3 ball. I think most of the blame is on his dad for pushing him away from the U but I digress. Maybe he'll transfer here after another lackluster season at Puke.
Tons of truth to this but remember, it is his decision to play for a brand that is national, a famous coach and program that grabs a ton a national feature TV games and regular final 4 appearances . Becoming a so called local legend may not have been his dream and really does not result in anything extra anyways. These kids often grow up fans of other teams and other coaches.

Tons of truth to this but remember, it is his decision to play for a brand that is national, a famous coach and program that grabs a ton a national feature TV games and regular final 4 appearances . Becoming a so called local legend may not have been his dream and really does not result in anything extra anyways. These kids often grow up fans of other teams and other coaches.
Seems like a lot of negative press for the #12 player in the nation to have his minimal contribution to Duke's team be on National TV once or twice a week. No way he goes in the first round of the draft at this point.

Could it be that both the Hurt boys are just plain soft. I don't think either of them display any killer instinct at all. Does Matthew pass up shots like Michael playing at Duke?

He could always enter the portal at the end of the year and cry hardship to play immediately and get back close to Minnesota at the U or Iowa State, both places where he could command the rock next year. But he will get recruited over. K will have another stud coming in at his position. And I don't think Hurts respond well to competition.

That said, he would be a significant upgrade over Demir, and I think we would easily have 5 more victories on our record if he was here.

10 points a game as a true freshman on one of the nations best team is pretty damn good. He will get his time to shine.

10 points a game as a true freshman on one of the nations best team is pretty damn good. He will get his time to shine.
I'd argue it is easier for him to get his points than it is for Oturu to get his.

Playing with 4 other 5* recruits to take the emphasis off you would make it easy to get ten pts if you get the run.

You want Hurt here. What about what Hurt wants? What about what he thinks is the best route for him to achieve his goals? You're reasoning is that a particular player in the starting lineup isn't good, so Hurt should have came here. Sounds selfish.

Hurt will be one and done, just like Gary Trent Jr. Too many good recruits coming in. He'll probably be an early 2nd round pick and spend some time in the G league. It wouldn't make sense for him to stay or transfer and hurt his draft stock even worse.

Hurt will be one and done, just like Gary Trent Jr. Too many good recruits coming in. He'll probably be an early 2nd round pick and spend some time in the G league. It wouldn't make sense for him to stay or transfer and hurt his draft stock even worse.
Unless of course he loves going to college at one of the best Universities in the world. The best part is he gets to choose what he would like to do. Sure looked thrilled last night.

Top Bottom