STrib: Ex-Gophers Rickey Foggie, Darrell Thompson, Chip Lohmiller relish 1986 jug memories

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I wonder how many times the STrib and PP have written this exact article over the years. Heck, Sid had quotes from these three Gopher legends nearly every year reminiscing about this game.

Per Randy:

There wasn't a lot to suggest the Gophers would pull off a historic upset in 1986. They hadn't beaten the Wolverines since 1977 and entered the game with a 5-4 record. John Gutekunst was in his first full season as coach after Lou Holtz left for Notre Dame, and the Gophers lost 63-0 at No. 1 Oklahoma in the season's second game, then fell to lowly Pacific.

Foggie, though, was confident because in their last visit to Michigan in 1984, the Gophers rushed for 217 yards and played the Wolverines close for three quarters before losing 31-7.

"We ran the option," Foggie said, "and defenses were having problems stopping the option."

That proved to be the case in 1986 because Foggie was one of the best option quarterbacks in the country and would be a 15-year pro in the Canadian and arena leagues. He also had a 1,240-yard rusher in freshman Darrell Thompson, plus key backfield contributors in Kevin Wilson and Ed Penn.

Thompson, the Gophers' second-leading all-time rusher and an analyst on the team's radio broadcasts, burst on the scene with a 205-yard rushing day in his first college game. He was wowed by the atmosphere and the hard hitting in the Big House.

"The year before, I was playing against my crosstown high school rival,'' the Rochester John Marshall graduate said. "All of a sudden, you're playing against Ohio State and Michigan. I was like, 'Oh, this is great,' but then it was, 'Oh my god, it's like they're bringing baseball bats.' ''

Go Gophers!!

This is my earliest memory of Gopher football. I know I noticed it before this because I cared when I saw the score and the cut-in for the winning FG. But that cut-in and day is my first clear Gopher FB memory. I was 5.

My freshman year at the U. I thought the Gutekunst years were going to be epic after this one.

I still remember when those 3 visited my elementary school.

I've told the story here before, but I was at the game with the U marching band. It was fantastic! I remember the Gophers took a timeout before one of the last plays and the U band started to play and one of the coaches looked at us like - NOT NOW and we abruptly stopped. The Michigan fans threw apples at us after the game :)
Thoroughly enjoyed reading through the game again - thanks for the link. I will always be Foggie and Chip fan from that season.

I was at a Fellowship of Christian Athletes weekend at a camp on Green Lake in Spicer, MN when I heard the news the Gophs won the jug. Will never forget it.

Top Bottom