STrib: Chris Autman-Bell, P.J. Fleck excited by all ex-Gophers drafted

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

When Rashod Bateman was selected in the first round of the NFL draft on Thursday night and Benjamin St-Juste was picked one night later in the third round, Gophers P.J. Fleck admitted to being excited, while fifth-year wide receiver Chris Autman-Bell took his feelings to the next level.

"I was sprinting down the hallway and screaming in my room,'' Autman-Bell said. "Seeing my guys, especially Bate … that's just awesome. Seeing my brother get drafted and getting to play with Lamar [Jackson, Ravens QB], that's great. As soon as they get their numbers selected, I'll be buying jerseys.'

"I love where our program is, I love where our program's headed,'' Fleck said after Saturday's spring game at TCF Bank Stadium. "I'd love to be at next year's draft. You hate to think ahead, but you look at the three-year combined draftees after next year. I'm really proud of Rashod Bateman and Benjamin St-Juste.

"They lay out all their hopes, dreams and aspirations, and as a head coach you do everything you can to fulfill that. It just shows you can accomplish anything you want at the University of Minnesota. I was a big day for us. … Those are the reasons why you coach.''

Go Gophers!!

I totally get it why the guys are excited. The goal for some is to make it to the NFL where only a chosen few will make it in the end. By having guys drafted last year and this year, the remaining guys on the roster have hope that someday they too will have their name called.

It's obviously huge for recruiting to get guys into the league. Seeing Winfield and Coughlin on the broadcast yesterday on the same weekend both Bateman and BSJ were drafted is massive for the program's visibility. Fleck is already a great recruiter. Keep giving him NFL starters to point out to recruits and it's pretty exciting to think about how much further he can elevate that part of the program.

CAB is the best wr the u has ...... better than Johnson and Bateman.

Speaking of Johnson...Ron Johnson...he was lights out against tOSU back in 2000. Watched the 1-hour game on BTN replay and he just would not be stopped. That win sealed the end of John Cooper's time at Ohio State. Channeling Travis Cole...

In the last two drafts Gophers have been selected in rounds:

1 (Bateman #29)
2 (Winfield #45)
3 (St-Juste #74)
5 (Johnson #161, Martin #175)
7 (Coughlin #218)

Wasn't Williamson drafted?
Shoot, forgot Chris. Thanks for the catch. Updated:

1 (Bateman #29)
2 (Winfield #45)
3 (St-Juste #74)
5 (Johnson #161, Martin #175)
7 (Coughlin #218, Williamson #247)

Were there any Gophers who were UDFA? I didn't hear the names of anyone else looking to play football professionally next year besides Bateman and St Juste.

Were there any Gophers who were UDFA? I didn't hear the names of anyone else looking to play football professionally next year besides Bateman and St Juste.
I don't think anyone else declared. In fact, Bateman and St Juste may be the only ones who left college, I think everyone else used the covid year to keep playing...

Top Bottom