(STrib) Carlos Morris; "the kid is going to be special"

Richard's Gophers are likely to seek a slower pace than his father's Cardinals, seeking to minimize the number of attempts that forward Montrezl Harrell gets to run over junior Joey King. The ability of King, Walker and Eliason to slow Harrell down will be key, as the Cards don't have much else in the way of interior scoring.
"]

Your cheap shots at Joey King are getting really old and annoying, not to mention they are extremely unwarranted. We get it; you don't think he's a great player. The fact of the matter is he was probably our third best player during our NIT run late last season. His minutes are not likely to be reduced at all this upcoming season no matter how much you want them to be.

Not sure who you are talking to this is the link and writer of the quote in question....
Scott Henry , Featured Columnist Aug 12, 2014 (slide 2)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ketball-season

Your cheap shots at Joey King are getting really old and annoying, not to mention they are extremely
unwarranted. We get it; you don't think he's a great player. The fact of the matter is he was probably our third best player during our NIT run late last season. His minutes are not likely to be reduced at all this upcoming season no matter how much you want them to be.

Bleacher Report has a very low credibility IMO. I've known Joey since high school and he isn't going to back down and I think he is going to do better than expected in this match up. I see him walking around campus looking like he gained the pounds that all the articles suggest. He won't totally stop Harrell, but there is no chance he gets demolished.

Not sure who you are talking to this is the link and writer of the quote in question....
Scott Henry , Featured Columnist Aug 12, 2014 (slide 2)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ketball-season

Sorry, I usually don't bother clicking on a Bleacher Report link, usually worthless. I just figured it was you again after seeing your previous post about reducing King's minutes and this dandy of a post from before.
King only started 15 games last year on a team with no pf and that was only because Oto went down...

Now we have really 5 guys ahead of King for playing time at pf; EE, Mo, Martin, Bakary , and Gaston...

Unless you think Gaston, Martin and Konate are going to redshirt or sit on the bench whose minutes do they take in not King's?
Sorry, I usually don't bother clicking on a Bleacher Report link, usually worthless. I just figured it was you again after seeing your previous post about reducing King's minutes and this dandy of a post from before.

Unless you think Gaston, Martin and Konate are going to redshirt or sit on the bench whose minutes do they take in not King's?

Oto's and the litany of screwed up lineups we tossed out there while Joey was sitting the pine for foul trouble last year.

Joey King averaged 22 minutes a game last year. Gaston and Martin (likely mostly Martin) will split the remaining 18 if Joey doesn't get more playing time. What will likely happen or the plan likely is that Joey plays closer to 30 and our newcomers fill in the rest during Big 10 ball.

Joey averaged 30+ at the end of the season if you take out the FSU foul debacle, he's our guy.

KoNot-Today will pick up foul trouble minutes at the 5 and MAYBE play a few minutes at 4.

Walker and Eliason will likely eat up all of the minutes at the 5 spot, unless there is foul trouble, in which case Konate/Gaston could play some minutes at the 5. I think King will likely have a solidified role all season of around 20-25 mpg.

That leaves about 15-20 mpg at the 4 spot for Martin, Buggs, Gaston, and Konate. I'd say all four of those guys are somewhat unknowns at the moment. If I had to guess how it plays out, I'd say they will all get their crack at a rotation spot in the pre-B1G portion of the schedule. By the time the B1G season rolls around, I would imagine one of the 4 is given a bigger role than the others based on performance...most likely Martin. The others would just get fill-in minutes here and there the rest of the way at the 4 spot.

I'd say Martin and Buggs could also potentially get some time at the 3 spot depending on the coaching staff's view of them, considering we only have five guards/wings on scholarship next season.

Oto's and the litany of screwed up lineups we tossed out there while Joey was sitting the pine for foul trouble last year.

Joey King averaged 22 minutes a game last year. Gaston and Martin (likely mostly Martin) will split the remaining 18 if Joey doesn't get more playing time. What will likely happen or the plan likely is that Joey plays closer to 30 and our newcomers fill in the rest during Big 10 ball.

Joey averaged 30+ at the end of the season if you take out the FSU foul debacle, he's our guy.

KoNot-Today will pick up foul trouble minutes at the 5 and MAYBE play a few minutes at 4.

I guess I should have waited about 2 more minutes and just agreed with your post instead of posting my own.

Time will tell... I think if King Plays 30 minutes something will have gone really wrong with this season, injuries... Even his dad thought King was more of a small forward... Below is a quote from pp 02/11/2014... Rick is Papa Pitino...
"
Rick, who watched Saturday evening's victory a few rows behind the Gophers' bench, is impressed with his son's first-year coaching at Minnesota.

"I think he's doing a great job," said Rick, whose career college record is 681-239. "I wish he had a little bit more frontcourt help in terms of power forwards. I think he's playing two small forwards at power forwards, and that's what happens when you rebuild -- you're void of certain positions.
"
http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_25117348/charley-walters-fatherly-advice-richard-pitino-stay-at

Time will tell... I think if King Plays 30 minutes something will have gone really wrong with this season, injuries... Even his dad thought King was more of a small forward... Below is a quote from pp 02/11/2014... Rick is Papa Pitino...
"
Rick, who watched Saturday evening's victory a few rows behind the Gophers' bench, is impressed with his son's first-year coaching at Minnesota.

"I think he's doing a great job," said Rick, whose career college record is 681-239. "I wish he had a little bit more frontcourt help in terms of power forwards. I think he's playing two small forwards at power forwards, and that's what happens when you rebuild -- you're void of certain positions.
"
http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_25117348/charley-walters-fatherly-advice-richard-pitino-stay-at

Probably part of the reason he's gained 20 pounds of muscle?

"

"

Don't forget Rick Pitino is a salesmen. He says ALOT of stuff to make his brand look better.

However I can agree, no doubt Joey King isn't your prototypical Big 10 Pitino style forward, but just like last year, he is our Big 10 PF. There is no way in hell Martin and Gaston combined play more minutes than Joey King next year baring injury. I'd put money on it. An unheralded freshman who WANTS to play SF and an overseas raw unknown will not outplay the incumbent 20+ mpg starter from a year ago.

I have made that statement about Joey and Otto last year 100x when people clamored about us having terrible PFs. If anything, Joey's added weight and improved mobility will make him more of the PF that Rick talked about than he was last year. That alone would net him more minutes than last year, not less.

Probably part of the reason he's gained 20 pounds of muscle?

But now we are not void of power forwards and we are not worried if EE or Mo fouls out with all our options...

On Louisville no one averaged 30 minutes a game...
Russ Smith averaged 29.3 minutes a game...
Montrezl Harrell from the quote averaged 29.3 minutes a game...

By the end of the season I only see Andre averaging near 30 minutes a game ... Tempo and player rotation >> pressure defense

ESPN 2013-2014 Gopher stats
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...golden-gophers

ESPN 2013-2014 Cardinal stats
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ille-cardinals

But now we are not void of power forwards and we are not worried if EE or Mo fouls out with all our options...

On Louisville no one averaged 30 minutes a game...
Russ Smith averaged 29.3 minutes a game...
Montrezl Harrell from the quote averaged 29.3 minutes a game...

By the end of the season I only see Andre averaging near 30 minutes a game ... Tempo and player rotation >> pressure defense

ESPN 2013-2014 Gopher stats
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...golden-gophers

ESPN 2013-2014 Cardinal stats
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ille-cardinals

I forget, was it Rick or Richard Pitino that coached our team? Also, isn't this a Minnesota Gopher board? Minnesota had 3 players average 30+ mpg last year. Not to mention Rick Pitino isn't coaching year 2 of his roster working with his 2nd recruiting class, and a roster comprised of 5 spring signings, he's got years of hand picked talent on that roster. Compare their facial expressions and their system, stop there.

Also, who said they would average 30+ minutes a game?

For someone who posts a lot of links, you need to learn how to post a link.

I forget, was it Rick or Richard Pitino that coached our team? Also, isn't this a Minnesota Gopher board? Minnesota had 3 players average 30+ mpg last year. Not to mention Rick Pitino isn't coaching year 2 of his roster working with his 2nd recruiting class, and a roster comprised of 5 spring signings, he's got years of hand picked talent on that roster. Compare their facial expressions and their system, stop there.

Also, who said they would average 30+ minutes a game?

For someone who posts a lot of links, you need to learn how to post a link.

Go Gophers! Feeling the love...

Time will tell... I think if King Plays 30 minutes something will have gone really wrong with this season, injuries... Even his dad thought King was more of a small forward...

You said King could play reduced minutes... which would be something under 22mpg, not going to happen.

Wait, Pitino calls King a 3 playing the 4? Where are all the 'stretch 4 experts'?

King's averaged 22 min because Oto played 18 min >> Rick or (Papa) Pitino called both small forwards ....

I think by the end of the season Gaston and Martin will have earned lots of those minutes...

the rest of the quote
<><><>
"

"
<><><><>
You said King could play reduced minutes... which would be something under 22mpg, not going to happen.

Wait, Pitino calls King a 3 playing the 4? Where are all the 'stretch 4 experts'?

King's averaged 22 min because Oto played 18 min >> Rick or (Papa) Pitino called both small forwards ....

I think by the end of the season Gaston and Martin will have earned lots of those minutes...

the rest of the quote
<><><>
"

"
<><><><>

I know it's been asked of you multiple times but you always seem to dodge it or I miss the response.

Where is your belief that 2 freshmen are going to come in and be major factors at the 4 position in 2014 coming from? Is it a firm belief that Joey King isn't fit for the minutes he played last year or is it more that you think the other two are better than him? Can you kind of walk me through where this opinion comes from?

The board definitely has high hopes for JMart, but you throw Gaston into the mix. I also believe you are the only poster predicting a reduced rule for JKing this year.

I know it's been asked of you multiple times but you always seem to dodge it or I miss the response.

Where is your belief that 2 freshmen are going to come in and be major factors at the 4 position in 2014 coming from? Is it a firm belief that Joey King isn't fit for the minutes he played last year or is it more that you think the other two are better than him? Can you kind of walk me through where this opinion comes from?

The board definitely has high hopes for JMart, but you throw Gaston into the mix. I also believe you are the only poster predicting a reduced rule for JKing this year.

Not really sure why you care what I think but thanks I guess... I believe Pitino will take this program to the next level or leave.... I believe he is bringing in players he thinks will help now and that fill our needs... I could be wrong and King plays 30 plus minutes but I just don't see that happening... I guess I am trusting the coach to bring in guys that can play now.... Please continue to believe in your King I am not trying to change your mind, I really don't care... It is what it is...

You claim to be a deep insider can you answer this question? Thanks
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?55127-Just-wondering

Again thank you for caring <> At the beginning of the season he will average more than 20 min at the end less that 20 min... Seems pointless to speculate but whatever...

How many King's do you think we have?

King will average more than 22mpg this year, you disagree?

Not really sure why you care what I think but thanks I guess... I believe Pitino will take this program to the next level or leave.... I believe he is bringing in players he thinks will help now and that fill our needs... I could be wrong and King plays 30 plus minutes but I just don't see that happening... I guess I am trusting the coach to bring in guys that can play now.... Please continue to believe in your King I am not trying to change your mind, I really don't care... It is what it is...

You do spout off some opinions that are just off the wall to me and you've confirmed my feelings that there isn't a whole lot of analytic or bball knowledge behind them...

I'm not trying to be combative, it's very difficult to have a discussion with someone who isn't providing any details to their stance just a couple links to quotes that don't really support/oppose points in the conversation.

Again thank you for caring <> At the beginning of the season he will average more than 20 min at the end less that 20 min... Seems pointless to speculate but whatever...

If it's pointless to speculate then what are any of us doing on this website?

You do know King is a player Pitino brought in right?

If King is averaging less than 20 min a game, then that means Martin and/or Gaston are simply a lot better as freshman than most anticipate. Which would be a good thing. I do not see that happening though. I speculate that the only thing keeping King off the court is foul trouble.

Top Bottom