STrib: Big Ten writers predict last-place finish for Gophers

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per Joe C: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/216435621.html

Minnesota is picked to finish last in the Legends Division, behind Iowa, in the poll of 26 writers – two beat writers for each of the 12 Big Ten schools and two Big Ten bloggers from ESPN.com – that was released today by the Cleveland Plain Dealer (Cleveland.com).

The comments following the article are amazing.

Some people just don't understand what predictions are.

Either way, it's not really surprising. The top 3 deserve to be in the top 3, no question about it. I totally understand why most from the outside would predict NW and Iowa to finish above us.

" Big Ten writers predict last-place finish for Gophers "

Locker room bulletin board material for motivation, it seems to me.

Some people just don't understand what predictions are.

Either way, it's not really surprising. The top 3 deserve to be in the top 3, no question about it. I totally understand why most from the outside would predict NW and Iowa to finish above us.

I have no problem with the predictions; I totally get it. The comments following though, again, are just baffling.

I rarely read Strib comments and when I do, it is typically just to satisfy my curiousity on mundane or uplifting fluff stories. I sometimes read the comments on those stories just to see how creative people can be in ripping everything. Today's story on the tall ships coming to Duluth is an example. Pretty much a nice story that doesn't involve tax money and it makes a lot of people happy. I normally couldn't care less what people would have to say about a news piece like that but I looked earlier today just to see how people could rip on it. It was a challenge, but several people found away around it by ripping on the way the article was written. So, they always have that to fall back on if there is no controversy in the article.

I have no problem with the predictions; I totally get it. The comments following though, again, are just baffling.

Sorry, my first sentence was directed at the comments, not you. Some are acting like these predictions mean we will finish last for sure and Kill is failing.

Sorry, my first sentence was directed at the comments, not you. Some are acting like these predictions mean we will finish last for sure and Kill is failing.

GIH, like I mentioned in as earlier post on this thread...The collective IQ of the commentors.....

The usual failing of any predictor: the lack of any imagination. They can't foresee any changes in the status quote because they can't imagine anything changing.

The comments sting because they have some truth. It's time to win some football games.

Really, if you look at our performance over the last 10 years a malignant dwarf could make those predictions. Rattle off 4 B1G wins this year and the perception of the Gophers for next year will change. Why? because this is a pretty young team.

The best of the Strib comments is from tarheeldave:
"Every Tar Heel fan in NC wakes up every morning thanking God for teams like the Gophers. While we don't win many football games, it's nice to know we can still be intimidating to some."

The best of the Strib comments is from tarheeldave:
"Every Tar Heel fan in NC wakes up every morning thanking God for teams like the Gophers. While we don't win many football games, it's nice to know we can still be intimidating to some."

Well, they've won at least seven games in each of the past five seasons, so they must have a lot of fans that don't follow the team very closely.

People can continue to underestimate Jerry Kill and this staff all they want. In 1-2 years fans all across the country, not just the B1G, will know what a great coach he is. Gophs will win 4 conference games this year, two of those coming against Iowa and Wisconsin. Things only get better in 2014 and '15 even with our tough schedules.

All you have to do is to look at the writers picking sconnie to finish 2nd and one writer (probably sconnie) to pick them to win the division. These are writer predictions and don't mean sh-t. An injury here or there or osu suspensions of their players and everything changes. The strib comments are a joke as if the writers picks are gospel.

People can continue to underestimate Jerry Kill and this staff all they want. In 1-2 years fans all across the country, not just the B1G, will know what a great coach he is. Gophs will win 4 conference games this year, two of those coming against Iowa and Wisconsin. Things only get better in 2014 and '15 even with our tough schedules.

I saw enough during the Michigan game last year to convince me otherwise at this point.

In just 2 seasons HC Jerry Kill already owns 4 of the most embarrassing defeats in program history.

beat by New Mexico St. at home
blown out by NDSU at home
beat 58-0 at Michigan
beat 45-17 by an equally terrible Purdue team (Purdue could have scored 70 if they wanted)

HC Jerry Kill has a lot of ground to make up just to be an average B1G coach at this point.

How is last place even possible? With our non-conference schedule, and then Iowa @TCF there is no reason we shouldn't start off (5-0). Did these people look at our schedule? It's not that challenging.

I saw enough during the Michigan game last year to convince me otherwise at this point.

In just 2 seasons HC Jerry Kill already owns 4 of the most embarrassing defeats in program history.

beat 58-0 at Michigan
beat 45-17 by an equally terrible Purdue team (Purdue could have scored 70 if they wanted)

HC Jerry Kill has a lot of ground to make up just to be an average B1G coach at this point.

Those are bad losses, but the section I bolded is pretty hyperbolic. 55-0 comes to mind.

beat 58-0 at Michigan

I don't suppose you noticed that all of these came in year 1, with a squad that he inherited? Are you familiar with Red Foreman's catch phrase? That is what I say to you sir.

How is last place even possible? With our non-conference schedule, and then Iowa @TCF there is no reason we shouldn't start off (5-0). Did these people look at our schedule? It's not that challenging.

Something tells me the media wasn't factoring in the non-conference schedule when determining who would win the conference division. I know it's crazy, but that's my guess.

What does NC have to do with Big Ten standings?

beat 58-0 at Michigan

A new coach in his first season lost to an FCS team that would go on to win back to back national titles. That's about as forgivable as a loss to an FCS team gets. Not to mention one of NDSU's touchdowns was on an absolute fluke of a play that they would not have scored on 9 times out of 10.

And since when is a 13-point margin a blowout?

B1GSportsGuy is NOT a Gopher fan, so just ignore his comments. He is a D-Bag who needs to get a life and go support whatever team he roots for on their board. Leave us alone, you pathetic ass-stain.

beat 58-0 at Michigan

You have a lot MORE ground to make up for just the be credible. You, sportsguy, are a total phony.

How would it be even possible to lose to Penn State this year?

What does NC have to do with Big Ten standings?

Because we paid to drop that home-home series it "proves" that we are too "afraid" to play them. Of course it doesn't take into account that we are playing San Jose this year or TCU the next two years; but your right, it does impact the B1G standings.

Top Bottom