STrib: As Gophers football emerges from COVID outbreak, unanswered questions haunt

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Even since the Gophers paused team activities Nov. 24, returning to light acclimatization workouts Wednesday, they weren’t in full quarantine, except for positive cases, who isolated for 10 days.

Ryan Demmer, associate professor in the university’s School of Public Health, said daily testing could shorten the quarantine time for close contacts, but it doesn’t eliminate the need for it. The Big Ten did not return requests for comment, but it’s likely any kind of close-contact policy could wipe out entire teams and their recent opponents from playing, which could be why schools are left to decide their own practices.

For the Gophers, though, it might have helped. It’s likely of the 170 players and staff tested six days a week, several brought the virus in from the outside — such as from players possibly spending time with friends not on the team or coaches going home to their families with children in school. Even if the team’s social distancing, masking and hygiene were perfect, the act of practicing together with all the contact that entails makes some spread inevitable, especially considering the timing of the off day for testing.

Go Gophers!!

I'm sure this is the first of many articles coming out. I was hoping for May or so to get things under control with the Covid. Will have to be patient more I guess. Not sure what this means.

Top Bottom