STrib: Amir Coffey and other early departures for NBA hurting Big Ten's overall depth

We have less early entries than most conferences. We tend to have the least mcdonalds all americans of the major conferences.

Kata-Bates Diop, All big ten player of the year. Got penalized for playing 4th year in college. Drafted 42 in second round. NBA wants the extra year to be in their hands. The NBA wants them as soon as they can get them. Their attitude is 24 yrs is too old

But KBD is in the league and doing pretty well for a horse-manure organization. Hopefully Coffey gets a chance but its hard to say.

Or they could just stay here and play for Pitino, win nothing, almost never make the NBA, never play in the highest rated games.

Nice Comment Built. Glad you are advising the local basketball phenoms on where to go to college. I guess Oturu didn't take your advice.

Imagine a world where more local kids don't take your advice...

Nice Comment Built. Glad you are advising the local basketball phenoms on where to go to college. I guess Oturu didn't take your advice.

Built is a hero to some on GH. I see him quite differently, as you appear to. Nice post Built. Well done!!

Again!

Amir has been out now over 2 months with a ankle injury, must have been a pretty bad.

Looking forward to seeing how he does in the GL and see if he gets in run with the club...
This was a reason I thought the decision of Coffey leaving was probably a good one for him. He's not the most durable guy. Not on the scale of Curry, but he's a bit injury prone and another year in college was a risk.

Kata-Bates Diop, All big ten player of the year. Got penalized for playing 4th year in college. Drafted 42 in second round.
Was he projected to be a first round pick prior to his senior year? Or is this just another case of people confusing correlation and causation when it comes to the draft?

Their attitude is 24 yrs is too old
Right, which is why NBA teams never sign free agents over 24 years old.

Not that black and white. Very few families ask but when they do it is about fit for what they value most. If the Oturu's had asked it would have been clear that staying home was a huge priority and therefore i would have told him to go here. We have had several that i thought this was their best choice and they did come here. Not likely my feedback plays a very large role. There are so many factors that go into a recruits decision. I told a kid that was coach centric that had better choices than Tubby but the kid came here anyway. UW had two players that asked where they would get better coaching and i told them UW. Winning matters, sellouts matter, national spotlight games matter, brand matters, game environment, climate, playing style. I know of kids that actually cared about field of study , combined with playing time that brought him to Minnesota. If asked, i will give my honest opinion. If some here think that i lose my fan card so be it. I am very comfortable with the kind of fan i am. The University has many fine selling points and so do other places. Never have been a homer type fan. Always willing to say another team is better when they are. That goes for any program i support. Standing up that way has been the foundation in building our family business around sports.

Not that black and white. Very few families ask but when they do it is about fit for what they value most. If the Oturu's had asked it would have been clear that staying home was a huge priority and therefore i would have told him to go here. We have had several that i thought this was their best choice and they did come here. Not likely my feedback plays a very large role. There are so many factors that go into a recruits decision. I told a kid that was coach centric that had better choices than Tubby but the kid came here anyway. UW had two players that asked where they would get better coaching and i told them UW. Winning matters, sellouts matter, national spotlight games matter, brand matters, game environment, climate, playing style. I know of kids that actually cared about field of study , combined with playing time that brought him to Minnesota. If asked, i will give my honest opinion. If some here think that i lose my fan card so be it. I am very comfortable with the kind of fan i am. The University has many fine selling points and so do other places. Never have been a homer type fan. Always willing to say another team is better when they are. That goes for any program i support. Standing up that way has been the foundation in building our family business around sports.
Okay but let's not act like just because a kid commits to Minnesota his chances to make the NBA suddenly tank. We just haven't had much NBA level talent. Coffey is the best we've had, and Oturu is will likely give him a run for his money.

Plenty of NBA talent comes from none blue-blood programs. Markelle Fultz, Ja Morant, Anthony Edwards this year stayed home at Georgia... the list goes on. There are several reasons why a recruit may not want to come Minnesota but worse NBA chances are not one of them.

Okay but let's not act like just because a kid commits to Minnesota his chances to make the NBA suddenly tank. We just haven't had much NBA level talent. Coffey is the best we've had, and Oturu is will likely give him a run for his money.

Plenty of NBA talent comes from none blue-blood programs. Markelle Fultz, Ja Morant, Anthony Edwards this year stayed home at Georgia... the list goes on. There are several reasons why a recruit may not want to come Minnesota but worse NBA chances are not one of them.
Never said anything about the NBA . Well aware of guys that were not even 5 stars that went non blue blood and made the NBA. UVA sends a whole bunch of guys to the NBA by developing them.

Not black and white - you are so full of bs built. Here is your comment again... your advice. Read it again - seems pretty black and white to me.

Or they could just stay here and play for Pitino, win nothing, almost never make the NBA, never play in the highest rated games.

Not black and white - you are so full of bs built. Here is your comment again... your advice. Read it again - seems pretty black and white to me.
Remember, that is from the recruits perspective. We had this discussion. Keep up the insults though. Really great for the discussion. It was not my advice. My advice if asked about coaching i would not hesitate to name guys far better. NBA, i advice is they find you no matter where you are although there are coaches that do a far better job in development. The Jones brothers picked Duke on their knowledge of the things you mentioned, that is their perspective . Stop with the personal insults.

Remember, that is from the recruits perspective. We had this discussion. Keep up the insults though. Really great for the discussion. It was not my advice. My advice if asked about coaching i would not hesitate to name guys far better. NBA, i advice is they find you no matter where you are although there are coaches that do a far better job in development. The Jones brothers picked Duke on their knowledge of the things you mentioned, that is their perspective . Stop with the personal insults.

How is this not your advice?
And conference titles, final 4's, the biggest national games, some cases national titles, bigger shoe deals. Or they could play for a Tony Bennett, win huge, conference titles, national title, get better development, still make the NBA. Or they could just stay here and play for Pitino, win nothing, almost never make the NBA, never play in the highest rated games.

Cowboy up a bit - you are not a victim.

How is this not your advice?

Cowboy up a bit - you are not a victim.
Because it is what many recruits think when they and their families go through the process. It is a Q and A to find out what there priorities. Cowboy up to what ? I stand by the advice i give if asked for it. Being honest is more important to me than being a fan and simply always thinking this is the best place to live, that this is the best school, that this is the best program and that this is the best coach for winning and development when i do not believe any of that. Kids are pretty damn smart, well traveled, exposed the other coaches and schools. Each situation is different. Just like the board is different for each person. Some use it to attack other posters, some use it to share insight on college hoops and this program.

Some use the board to slam Mn and its coach and praise other programs and coaches at the same time. All while playing the victim.

Some use the board to slam Mn and its coach and praise other programs and coaches at the same time. All while playing the victim.
Can not help you if that is your opinion. Not a victim if i do not feel like one. Not slamming the program or the coach when i share a opinion of how i see the program and the coach. Hand out praise when it meets what i expect of the coach, program or school but when i see others do it better i am not afraid to say it. Just like any other aspect of life. If i see someone with a better golf game then mine, better business idea and on and on. I simply aknowledge it, learn from it. Besides, recruits are seeing it too. So are fans in the seats, high school coaches, parents and grandparents. Personally i like the team this year but when i see what other conference teams are doing on the recruiting front it will be a tall order to become a powerhouse in the conference. So it seems we have a different opinion of what great is. We have a different opinion on official fan cards. To each their own. See the program and support it in any way you want. I will look at it however i please. Moderator can ban me whenever he wants to do so.

Because it is what many recruits think when they and their families go through the process. It is a Q and A to find out what there priorities. Cowboy up to what ? I stand by the advice i give if asked for it. Being honest is more important to me than being a fan and simply always thinking this is the best place to live, that this is the best school, that this is the best program and that this is the best coach for winning and development when i do not believe any of that. Kids are pretty damn smart, well traveled, exposed the other coaches and schools. Each situation is different. Just like the board is different for each person. Some use it to attack other posters, some use it to share insight on college hoops and this program.
You can use google to learn the meaning of phrases you dont understand.

Nobody here says you have to lie to kids. We just hope less kids listen to your opinion.

What phrases ? Google can be used to check success, won loss, acceptance rates. Families sometimes look for a unbiased opinion after establishing priorites

Too bad badger the victim can’t get past taking pot shots at the coaches and program. Might help more.

Too bad badger the victim can’t get past taking pot shots at the coaches and program. Might help more.
Do you know what victim means ? I do not fell wounded or harmed. You have your opinion , i have mine. I will simply offer my opinion of Gopher basketball and college basketball. You can continue to offer your opinion of me. No harm. People that post here can ignore my opinion, disagree with it in a healthy exchange of thoughts and ideas or choose to make it simply a personal putdown. Each person conducts themselves however they choose.

Do you know what victim means ? I do not fell wounded or harmed. You have your opinion , i have mine. I will simply offer my opinion of Gopher basketball and college basketball. You can continue to offer your opinion of me. No harm. People that post here can ignore my opinion, disagree with it in a healthy exchange of thoughts and ideas or choose to make it simply a personal putdown. Each person conducts themselves however they choose.
You conduct yourself as a victim of name calling. After you take continual shots at the Mn men’s bb program and coach. And then you say “never said....,,,,”.
For me, I will continue to call out your anti Mn men’s bb garbage.
Thought and idea? How about giving your self proclaimed virtuous “advice” a change of pace? Not all coaches can be “legends” like cheating k.

Not me that has K as my favorite but recruits sure do ! My favorites win multiple conference titles and a national title playing it clean. Again, i do not feel harm or threat, not victimized by anything you say. Call out all you want. Are you angry over 41-71 and no conference titles ?

Not me that has K as my favorite but recruits sure do ! My favorites win multiple conference titles and a national title playing it clean. Again, i do not feel harm or threat, not victimized by anything you say. Call out all you want. Are you angry over 41-71 and no conference titles ?
YOU said K is legendary. YOU badger. Yet another lie badger?
Angry about something others control? Hardly. Perhaps you need to look in the mirror regarding anger and the record you have cited hundreds of times.
I always want what is best for my favorite team. Providing “advice” to go somewhere else is admirable, badger.

and now you say k isn’t a favorite!!!! Keep you lies straight.

K being a legend is not in question. Search the threads, i never said he was a favorite. Quit making things up.

K being a legend is not in question. Search the threads, i never said he was a favorite. Quit making things up.
You said legend. He is no legend in my book. I haven’t made up anything Badgers. In your book cheating k is a legend. And you have fallen over yourself praising k and the duke program. Why lie about what you have said?

He is known as a legend. That is how recruits look at him, that is what our coach calls him. Your making it up that i fall over myself over him, that is a flat out lie. You said he was one of my favorites . Another lie.

He is known as a legend. That is how recruits look at him, that is what our coach calls him. Your making it up that i fall over myself over him, that is a flat out lie. You said he was one of my favorites . Another lie.
Nope badger. Not making anything up.
You have repeatedly said your favorite coaches win conference titles and national championships. You have praised k and the duke program repeatedly. Those are facts, badger, as inconvenient as they are for you. Stop with the lies.

I said the best coaches, the greatest coaches win conference titles and national titles. I actually named my favorite coaches, K was not among them. Recruits sure like him though. You can not find a single quote where i say he is my favorite.

So your favorite coaches don’t win championships? Huh.
You call k a legend, badger. Not the kids. You. Own it.

Your wrong. All the kids think of him as a legend,all the coaches do, our own coach does. Yes, my favorite coaches, Tony Bennett and Jay Wright have won conference titles and national titles and they did it clean !

Top Bottom