Strength and conditioning

FWIW I had a buddy who interned with Hill and Will Peoples a few years back.
My buddy is a total strength and conditioning "nerd", he knew his stuff. Took a job at an Air Force base overseeing the strength and conditioning there.
His opinion was lukewarm of Hill and Peoples, basically saying they didn't emphasize enough olympic lifts and were better at "yelling a lot"

He was very excited with Coach Klein, especially his use of kettlebells and functional explosive movements.
I think Klein is very good at his job and watching NIU dismantle teams after 3 years under Kill you couldn't help but notice their physical builds and overall conditioning.

So I guess you also think every WR coach coaches the same way? I bet every single 3rd grade teacher in the world does exactly the same thing as well.

As someone who has played small college football, I can tell you that there is a difference between each S&C coach.

Never said they weren't differences between S&C coaches. I said that there's no type of new lift that no one knows about being done by only a select few programs in the know.

Every S&C coach knows what's out there to be done. There are no secrets.

FWIW I had a buddy who interned with Hill and Will Peoples a few years back.
My buddy is a total strength and conditioning "nerd", he knew his stuff. Took a job at an Air Force base overseeing the strength and conditioning there.
His opinion was lukewarm of Hill and Peoples, basically saying they didn't emphasize enough olympic lifts and were better at "yelling a lot"

He was very excited with Coach Klein, especially his use of kettlebells and functional explosive movements.
I think Klein is very good at his job and watching NIU dismantle teams after 3 years under Kill you couldn't help but notice their physical builds and overall conditioning.

Kettlebells and functional explosive movements.

That's the ace in the hole.

Of course!

Anyway - I'm absolutely sure that Klein is a good coach, knows his stuff, and will have every Gopher player in at least as good of shape as every other player they face on the field.

Maybe Brewster's guys really did just have the team playing cards in the weight room. Who knows, guess we'll see.

I don't think anyone thinks that Klein is reinventing the wheel when it comes to strength and conditioning. Being good at anything in life is simply finding a method of doing what everyone else sort of does and do it better. For instance, I would think every single QB coach in the country makes an emphasis on being accurate, making good decisions, etc...it's how you go about implenting the strategy and taking the core ideas that would make someone a succesful QB coach.

The same goes with strength and conditioning, there are a ton of variables with technique and tectic when it comes to how you use the current weights (oh and the world of strength and conditioning is EVER evolving). The use of kettlebells has been around forever, but to the extent that they are used now, it's pretty new stuff. High schools in the metro hire strength and conditioning coaches so that they can stay up on the cutting edge of new techniques. Pro athletes pay a ton of money to work with their own personal trainers who they are comfortable with because they trust them to be on the cutting edge. If you don't think strength and conditioning is a cutting edge field, you are completely lost. So the impact of a really good strength and conditioning coach compared to just a run of the mill guy would be HUGE.

That said, I know nothing about Coach Klein. I know that some people who have been pretty succesful swear by him, so that's good enough for me right now. If our teams still appear outstrengthed and conditioned, I will probably change my opinion. But for now, I guess i'll assume Kill is right but I haven't seen anything from our players to suggest there has been much of an impact yet.

Top Bottom