Strack: QB1 Should Be Open Competition for 2022 Gophers

Here's the problem with that. If there is an honest open competition and Tanner comes out on top, the GH experts will whine that it was not an open competition without any knowledge of what transpired.
Yep, the general assumption being made is that Morgan only plays because he is Fleck's guy. Yet you hear players talk about the great leader he is and their love for him.

But fans always love the backup QB, until he becomes the starting QB, then they love the new backup QB.

If Morgan comes back, he is the starter until someone does enough to make the coaches believe they would be a significant enough of an upgrade to take the team leader and winningest QB in the history of the program off the field.

Fleck wants to win, if he thinks there is a better QB on the bench to lead the team he will play him. But until that time he is going to keep giving the ball to #2.

You seem to think that's impossible. If you're that certain about forecasting the future, why are you wasting your time on a sports message board? Shouldn't you be a fund manager or something?
Where did I say impossible? There’s a chance but very very small given Tanners unique circumstances.

Fleck wants to win, if he thinks there is a better QB on the bench to lead the team he will play him. But until that time he is going to keep giving the ball to #2.
This is true, but I'm sure there's a caveat. Fleck is clearly fairly conservative. I think given the choice he would take Morgan, who may be low-ceiling but low-floor/risk over QBX, who may be much higher ceiling but possibly with greater risk. I'm sure that's where we are right now. Morgan is the safe play right now, even though the upside of one or more of the others is much greater. I think for 2021, they could have won with 2 or 3 different QB's on the roster but Morgan represented the safe play, fewest turnovers, et al

Get used to the idea: Tanner Morgan will be the starting quarterback in 2022. Others will play if he gets injured.

Top Bottom