Strack: Gophers Could Force Inept Iowa Offense to Beat Them but PJ Fleck Probably Won’t

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Strack:

What if PJ Fleck’s approach is wrong?​

Mo’s unfortunate and unlikely fumble, again, begs to question… why rely on conservative, flaw-free football, to beat Iowa? Fleck constantly talks about the only way to beat the Hawkeyes is mistake free football but I’d challenge him to consider whether or not that theory is actually true.

Yes, Iowa wins games by forcing other teams to make mistakes, using defense and a consistent edge in the field position battle to wear down opponents. But playing ultra conservative and doing everything seemingly possible to avoid those mistakes is playing right into their hands.

We are talking about the worst offense in college football. Even if you throw it to the Iowa defense for two pick-6’s, it’s far from a sure bet that they put up a total of 20 points in that game. There’s no reason to play scared vs one of the most offensive inept football schools of the 21st century, no matter how good their punter is.

We know one thing for sure. PJ Fleck is 0-6 vs Iowa trying to be perfect.

In the end, PJ Fleck will probably PJ Fleck​

I highly doubt, however, that we will see an aggressive Minnesota offense on Saturday, no matter how much sense you or I think it makes. The only way Fleck wants to beat the boogeyman is with fear. And maybe he can still win that way. As mentioned earlier, he probably should have won last year, even with just 85 yards of passing on the night.

But one thing we are unlikely to see is the Gophers getting out to an early lead where the horrible, no-good Hawkeye offense has to function properly in order for them to win. I wasted my time begging PJ to be more aggressive for too many years in a row. I have simply lost faith in him having the testicular fortitude to be aggressive vs Iowa.

Thus, we’ll probably have to hope that Darius Taylor goes off for 250 yards and can find his way into the endzone multiple times in the process. Then, pull out a 19-13 mud throwing festival.

Go Gophers!!

Ryan Burns said something very similar on the Gopher Gridiron Radio podcast in his preview of the Iowa game. Of course, Burns was not as blunt as Mr. Strack.

Burns said that getting ahead in the game early will be a key for the Gophers, and to do that, the Gophers will need to throw the ball and even take some shots at longer downfield passes.

whether that actually happens is up to the Coaches.

Is Darius Taylor playing? I suppose we will will find out at 1230p.

Last edited:

It's not the interception keeping the Gophers from throwing it deep, it's the sack+fumble

A lot of the Gophers patterns this year point to a decline in pass protection, forcing tight ends and backs to stay in and pass protect more and not a lot of long dropbacks or misdirection plays that could lead to disaster if not blocked well.

And history shows all it takes is one disaster play to lose to iowa.

Who is Strack and what is minnesotasportsfan .com ?

Never heard of them. I'm not going to just click on any two-bit thing.

This take is really dull. I don't care one bit if we run the ball every single play today if it results in a W. Everyone is on PJ for not throwing the ball more. Has anyone seen what happens when we do throw the ball? It usually doesn't end very well. We can decide to air it out all over the place. And there is a very good chance that we'll watch the bail sail over heads of non-separated receivers. Or that the ball will be slightly behind our slant route, ball will be tipped, resulting in an INT. Or that we'll see many plays for negative yardage because we can't protect the passer. I'd love to be proven wrong on this. But my point is... you have to plan for your opponent, within the realities of what you can accomplish with your own personnel. If that means running it every play, fine. Just bring Floyd home.

This take is really dull. I don't care one bit if we run the ball every single play today if it results in a W. Everyone is on PJ for not throwing the ball more. Has anyone seen what happens when we do throw the ball? It usually doesn't end very well. We can decide to air it out all over the place. And there is a very good chance that we'll watch the bail sail over heads of non-separated receivers. Or that the ball will be slightly behind our slant route, ball will be tipped, resulting in an INT. Or that we'll see many plays for negative yardage because we can't protect the passer. I'd love to be proven wrong on this. But my point is... you have to plan for your opponent, within the realities of what you can accomplish with your own personnel. If that means running it every play, fine. Just bring Floyd home.

Spot on.

Our run game is solid, sometimes excellent. Our pass game is... no bueno. Crosby's description of passes sailing over receivers heads, and passes thrown behind receivers leading to tipped balls is a brutally honest summary of the reality of our situation.

Our personnel on offense is suited to run the football. We don't seem to have the players required to play any other style than the style we currently play.

It drives fans and sports media types insane, but it is what it is (as the saying goes).

And Iowa beats us by... being Iowa.

Iowa wins because they know exactly who they are, and they're smart enough to embrace their own identity. I'm sure there are plenty of Iowa fans and media types who grumble about their stodgy offense, but they don't grumble about being 6-1. They probably didn't complain much when Ferentz got his 200th win.

Cade McNamara was completing 51.1% of his passes before he was injured.

Iowa's current starter at QB, Deacon Hill, is completing 38.6%.

Iowa is 6-1.

You are who you are. Find a way to win with the personnel and talents you have, and don't try to be something you're not.

Iowa is 6-1.

You are who you are. Find a way to win with the personnel and talents you have, and don't try to be something you're not.
Agree. No such thing as a bad win

Iowa is 6-1.

Agreed. The over and under is a miniscule 30.5. Vegas is expecting this to be a low scoring game that will probably be decided in the trenches, field position and turnovers. This is old school football!!

Wisconsin aired it out 50 times and scored 6 points. Is that the aggressiveness people want to see?

Wisconsin aired it out 50 times and scored 6 points. Is that the aggressiveness people want to see?

Apparently so.

It is puzzling, but they really want to see more sailed passes, more bounced passes, more tipped passes.

Top Bottom