Still stings

I like to think that Sanford was "soft fired" after the Illinois game. And Simon, Callahan, and Fleck called the plays in Iowa and beyond.

Could be a figment of my imagination. Doesn't really matter now.
Right, doesn't matter but that makes total sense. The offense opened up the last four games. Even if we had beaten Iowa -- if the tackle had been made on the sideline erasing one of the three disastrous defensive lapses -- Sanford was still gone.

Yes my whole life is ruined. You nailed it.

I’ll also note you’ve let it go so much so that you are reading and posting on a Gopher football message board in the middle of Feb.

Love when people visit a message board to tell people posting on a message board they need to let go of things.

I love thread police too.

Yes my whole life is ruined. You nailed it.

I’ll also note you’ve let it go so much so that you are reading and posting on a Gopher football message board in the middle of Feb.

Love when people visit a message board to tell people posting on a message board they need to let go of things.

I love thread police too.

Not directly relayed to the Iowa sequence which was arguably vastly too conservative but one of the things that irritated me most about MSJr was his stubbornness on running on first down, even when teams we’re begging him to pass. First down should be a great time to pass the ball based on every statistical analysis I’ve ever seen. It bothered me so much I calculated the run/pass ratio for 2021 versus 2019 - and Ciarocca himself is not an air raid aficionado but took advantage of first down much better. Does someone here want to defend Sanford’s philosophy?

rush percentage by down
2021:
1st 82%
2nd 47%
3rd 60%

2019:
1st: 66%
2nd: 64%
3rd: 54%

Replacement, we’ve seen this numerous times. Before a coach gets fired for incompetence many fans can be convinced with the notion passing on first down 18% of the time makes sense.

After they’re fired yep, he sucked.

Not directly relayed to the Iowa sequence which was arguably vastly too conservative but one of the things that irritated me most about MSJr was his stubbornness on running on first down, even when teams we’re begging him to pass. First down should be a great time to pass the ball based on every statistical analysis I’ve ever seen. It bothered me so much I calculated the run/pass ratio for 2021 versus 2019 - and Ciarocca himself is not an air raid aficionado but took advantage of first down much better. Does someone here want to defend Sanford’s philosophy?

rush percentage by down
2021:
1st 82%
2nd 47%
3rd 60%

2019:
1st: 66%
2nd: 64%
3rd: 54%

Replacement, we’ve seen this numerous times. Before a coach gets fired for incompetence many fans can be convinced with the notion passing on first down 18% of the time makes sense.

After they’re fired yep, he sucked.

You're missing the main point of this thread in that one can only find true happiness unless you constantly rehash everything that has gone wrong.

You're missing the main point of this thread in that one can only find true happiness unless you constantly rehash everything that has gone wrong.
Can we talk about that abomination that was the last episode of the “Book of Mandalorian”?

C’mon, no MN fan is truly happy. This is group therapy. Some fans recover faster than others. Some have broken. Some have not yet broken. Some are too young to really understand. I had to guess the last sentence of the OP’s post is what set some people off. PJF is the Teflon Don. I happen to love PJF so don’t come at me, folks. His biggest mistake beyond hiring Sanford was not pulling the plug earlier after ominous signs appeared.

The problem is gone, hope springs external for the MN sports fan.

C’mon, no MN fan is truly happy. This is group therapy. Some fans recover faster than others. Some have broken. Some have not yet broken. Some are too young to really understand. I had to guess the last sentence of the OP’s post is what set some people off. PJF is the Teflon Don. I happen to love PJF so don’t come at me, folks. His biggest mistake beyond hiring Sanford was not pulling the plug earlier after ominous signs appeared.

The problem is gone, hope springs external for the MN sports fan.
Seems like coach effectively pulled Sanford's plug after Illinois. Play calling was much improved. He just didn't want the disruption of another mid-season firing and interim OC. He played it right.

C’mon, no MN fan is truly happy. This is group therapy. Some fans recover faster than others. Some have broken. Some have not yet broken. Some are too young to really understand.
Oh trust me....I could make a list....Gopher football, Vikings, Gopher hockey, Twins.... I can dig those memories up at any time. I just don't need to post a thread about it many months after it happened or bring it up multiple times in other threads.

Oh trust me....I could make a list....Gopher football, Vikings, Gopher hockey, Twins.... I can dig those memories up at any time. I just don't need to post a thread about it many months after it happened or bring it up multiple times in other threads.
But you need to reply to a thread about it.
Makes sense.

🤷‍♂️ I didn’t know it was a recurring point of contention. But the Iowa game fits the MN sports fan pattern: the formerly anemic offense did just enough to win the game but the defense choked big time. I share Replacement’s overall frustration with the season outcome though it wasn’t a great crime to play for a field goal at that juncture. More a symptom of disease.

Seems like coach effectively pulled Sanford's plug after Illinois. Play calling was much improved. He just didn't want the disruption of another mid-season firing and interim OC. He played it right.
I really don't know why everyone thinks the OC was no longer calling the plays after the Illinois game. Nobody has confirmed that and just because the play calling might have changed a bit, doesn't mean someone else was calling the plays. Perhaps the outcome of Illinois and the pressure in the press and all other places forced the play calls to change? Could it be that simple? Seems to me if this 'change' truly took place, someone could confirm that for us since so many on here believe that to be the case.

Someone prove me wrong and share their confirmation the play calling duties truly changed hands post Illinois OR any other time during the season.

I really don't know why everyone thinks that the OC was no longer calling the plays after the Illinois game. Nobody has confirmed that and just because the play calling might have changed a bit, doesn't mean someone else was calling the plays. Perhaps the outcome of Illinois and the pressure in the press and all other places forced the play calls to change? Could it be that simple?? Seems to me if this 'change' truly took place, we'd have someone who could confirm that for us since so many on here believe that to be the case.

Someone prove me wrong and share their confirmation the play calling duties truly changed hands post Illinois OR any other time during the season.
Didn't PJ start mentioning Simon with Sanford in interviews at that point? I think that's why people assumed Simon was at least somewhat involved in the play calling.

2019 and 2021 sting a bit more when I see what we are losing on Offensive Line and defense. We have 4 guys going to the NFL combine and had a really strong team that had the ability to break through and be in Indy in two of the last 3 seasons. Hope we can get there this fall.
It stings more when you don’t expect good opportunities to continue to present themselves, I don’t think that is the case here.

I still haven't gotten over wide left

(pick the year)

Top Bottom