Stewart Mandel (Fox Sports): "Minnesota appears a lock for a Florida bowl"

"It's a fact, it's the greatest city in the history of mankind."

100% correct. Lived there for five years, never took the weather, the beauty or the San Diego lifestyle for granted. I hope to live there again some day.

Go Gophers!!

It never has in the past. Getting people to buy 10,000 tickets through the U of M would do wonders for our reputation, and right or wrong, that matters to bowls. The number of tickets sold is always a story in the lead-up to bowl games, and it would benefit us down the road if we have something to brag about.

Valid point, one that I almost included in my previous post. The bowls will supposedly be submitting a list of their top three choices to the league office, who will then mix and match to come up with the assignments. It seems like Minnesota would appear on those lists more frequently down the road if we show we can snap up tickets.

As I indicated in an earlier post, I purchased several tickets through the U of M ticket office for our two bowls in Houston. I dropped a lot of money for something I could have gotten for a couple of bucks. My reason for purchasing tickets through the ticket office was to help our U of M meet its allotment and, to be honest, with the naïve idea that I might somehow get rewarded in some way for doing the “right thing.” I think all this did was pad the pockets of the bowl fat-cats who run these scams. I'm too lazy to find the article but there was a great one that explained how these bowls scam universities and their ticket buyers. The other thing that bothers me is why should I lay out a bunch of cash to attend a “lesser” bowl in order to allow future “fans” who are not committed now and/or too cheap to attend the present bowl but because of chumps like me will show up next time for the “bigger” bowl?
I’m not trying to chide you. Just mostly bitching to myself.

Can we PLEASE get a bowl that is on New Years Day just to get that stupid monkey off our back. I get sick of the "Gophers haven't been to a new years day bowl since..." stuff. Outback or Citrus please!

Can we PLEASE get a bowl that is on New Years Day just to get that stupid monkey off our back. I get sick of the "Gophers haven't been to a new years day bowl since..." stuff. Outback or Citrus please!

That's a fake monkey. The Heart of Dallas Bowl has been a New Year's day bowl for the past two years, a bowl the U successfully lobbied themselves out of two year ago. Holiday is a legit bowl in a wonderful location with great national visibility against a good opponent. I like most prefer Citrus/Outback, but for me the real dropoff is after Holiday. Jax or anything after that will be met with indifference by our traveling fans.

That's a fake monkey. The Heart of Dallas Bowl has been a New Year's day bowl for the past two years, a bowl the U successfully lobbied themselves out of two year ago. Holiday is a legit bowl in a wonderful location with great national visibility against a good opponent. I like most prefer Citrus/Outback, but for me the real dropoff is after Holiday. Jax or anything after that will be met with indifference by our traveling fans.

I totally agree that the Holiday Bowl would be a good one. I also agree that it is a stupid fake monkey, but that fact remains, that little jab is always thrown in there by sports writers. So we are good enough to get to a "prestigious" New Years Bowl, lets do it and move on.

100% correct. Lived there for five years, never took the weather, the beauty or the San Diego lifestyle for granted. I hope to live there again some day.

Go Gophers!!

100% 100% correct.

stats piling up

Top Bottom