Stewart Mandel’s 2022 Preseason All- ‘wait, they’re still playing college football?!’ Team? (QB. Morgan; WR. Autman-Bell)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Mandel:

“You know, a lot of people go to college for seven years.”

“I know. They’re called doctors.”

David Spade’s sarcastic response to Chris Farley in the 1995 classic Tommy Boy need not apply to current-day college football players. Thanks to the NCAA’s blanket free year of eligibility in 2020, the sport is now teeming with sixth- and seventh-year students.

My 2022 preseason All-Geezer Team even includes a real-life eighth-year senior.

Competition was fierce for this year’s squad, so much so that a couple of prominent sixth-year senior quarterbacks — like Stetson Bennett, the returning starter for defending national champion Georgia — did not even make the cut. (Note: I picked 11 players on offense and defense but did not limit by position.)

Offense​

QB: Tanner Morgan, Minnesota (co-captain)

First season of college football: 2017

A starter since his redshirt freshman season, Morgan, 27-12 as starter, has been behind center for through the highs (winning 11 games in 2019, including a New Year’s Day bowl) and lows (going 5-of-13 for 59 yards and two picks in last year’s home loss to Bowling Green). He’s been in college long enough to play three seasons for an offensive coordinator, Kirk Ciarrocca, who then left for two seasons and is now back at Minnesota.

WR: Chris Autman-Bell, Minnesota

First season of college football: 2017

Morgan and Autman-Bell are something of a package deal, as the latter has been catching the former’s passes for their entire careers. A member of P.J. Fleck’s first recruiting class, Autman-Bell has caught at least one pass in 43 career games. Last season he led Minnesota with 36 catches for 506 yards and six touchdowns. I’d imagine Morgan and Autman-Bell will become the sport’s first five-year QB-receiver tandem.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom