Stevens to Oregon?

I know it's all rumors at this point, but I feel like Coach Stevens would be a fool to walk away from the Butler job right now. I understand that the Oregon job might make him a millionaire almost instantly and, if he is successful, provide many millions more (whether it's from Oregon or any even bigger program) over the years. That said, he will become a millionaire coaching at Butler as well. Not only that, but he has a great set up. He's at a school that is in the heart of a great recruiting region, he is in the NCG of the NCAA tournament (giving him an edge Butler has never really had against in-state teams, at least with some recruits), and he plays in a conference where Butler could dominate for many years to come. Plus, he's so young, if he can continue to perform even remotely close to the W-L record he's posted to-date, bigger and better schools than Oregon will come calling over the years.

And didnt he grow up in Indy? I think he would want to stay there, and not leave unless it was for a big school for a ton of money around there. I am sure Butler already has a contract revision ready to increase his pay there.

He doesn't have to stay there forever, but I think it's imperative on both him and Butler to find a way to let him stay for at least another year or two. To walk away after getting your team to the title game (and hopefully winning) doesn't smell right.

Always risk involved when hiring the "hot" coach. Butler is a prime example. There's Thad Matta (home run), then there's Barry Collier and Todd Lickliter (swing and a miss). I'd be careful hiring Stevens this soon into his head coaching career.

Always risk involved when hiring the "hot" coach. Butler is a prime example. There's Thad Matta (home run), then there's Barry Collier and Todd Lickliter (swing and a miss). I'd be careful hiring Stevens this soon into his head coaching career.

Not to mention the risk on his part of taking such a job. Oregon has shiny new facilities, but they also have a mess on thier hands and he would always be left wondering if he was working for the AD or Nike. Boss confusion is never good.

Not to mention the risk on his part of taking such a job. Oregon has shiny new facilities, but they also have a mess on thier hands and he would always be left wondering if he was working for the AD or Nike. Boss confusion is never good.

I think that is why people are shying away from that job. They don't know if they are working at University of Oregon or University of Nike.

I had the good fortune of going to college for a year (and playing hoops for a short-time with) with coach Stevens at DePauw. He is a very good dude, and was a really good basketball player (as D3 hoops go). I can't claim to know him very well but he is definitely a good bet for him to stay close to home, as he grew up IIRC in Carmel, IN.

If I had to place a far-out wager I would say he gets some kind of long-term extension at Butler but cuts out early when Crean gets fired from IU after next year and Stevens ends up coaching in Bloomington... pure speculation.

You were going along pretty good until you got to this part...

when Crean gets fired from IU after next year

No program (especially one of Indiana's stature) is going to cut loose a coach after 2 years at a school where the roster was completely gutted due to scandal and defections. Why on earth would Indiana fire Crean, especially 2 years into an 8-year deal?

Give me some of what you're smoking.

Although not next year, I think the Indiana job would be the one he would leave Butler for. With that being said, Crean isnt going anywhere soon.

I actually think Stevens to Oregon makes sense. Sad but the hot coach looking to increase his bottom line isn't a common story. We ended up getting Monson tht way.

I actually think Stevens to Oregon makes sense. Sad but the hot coach looking to increase his bottom line isn't a common story. We ended up getting Monson tht way.

Bird in the hand. If Butler has a losing record next season, for whatever reason, his window would have passed. I wouldn't blame him one tiny bit.

I'm not saying that it will or won't happen or is even a possibility.

You were going along pretty good until you got to this part...

No program (especially one of Indiana's stature) is going to cut loose a coach after 2 years at a school where the roster was completely gutted due to scandal and defections. Why on earth would Indiana fire Crean, especially 2 years into an 8-year deal?

Give me some of what you're smoking.

Notice the end of the sentence, the "pure speculation" part. Also, I was speculating that he would be fired after his 3rd year (after next year). If IU has another super crappy year like the last 2, in the absence of top 10 recruiting classes, the masses will be pissed. Especially considering Purdue and Butler's success; trust me, the hoops boosters there will be clamoring for change.

Again, just speculation, your take is more likely, I'll agree with you there...

Notice the end of the sentence, the "pure speculation" part. Also, I was speculating that he would be fired after his 3rd year (after next year). If IU has another super crappy year like the last 2, in the absence of top 10 recruiting classes, the masses will be pissed. Especially considering Purdue and Butler's success; trust me, the hoops boosters there will be clamoring for change.

Again, just speculation, your take is more likely, I'll agree with you there...

My mistake on the duration. It should've been 3 years, not 2.

But the point stands. It will never, ever happen. Ever.

I'm all about speculation, but I like it when people throw out scenarios that actually have the potential of happening.

Bird in the hand. If Butler has a losing record next season, for whatever reason, his window would have passed. I wouldn't blame him one tiny bit.

I'm not saying that it will or won't happen or is even a possibility.

Stevens window is not closing anytime soon. And assuming Hayward and Mack return for their junior years, they'll easily be ranked top 3 and will be a force.

I think that is why people are shying away from that job. They don't know if they are working at University of Oregon or University of Nike.

I agree. Oregon is facing something of a scandal right now after all the problems off the field with its football players, the whole Mike Bellotti "severance", and the wild rumors considering their forthcoming basketball hire. It wouldn't be surprising to me if a lot of coaches are wondering about the stability of the athletic department out in Eugene right now. When you have as much negative information association as Oregon has right now, it's tends to make things a tough sell. Therefore, it'll be interesting to see who they end up hiring.

Top Bottom