Stating the obvious: A win would have been huge for the program

EG#9

Reaction score
Obviously we can take a lot of positives out of the second half performance by this team. Extremely impressive to see a true Freshman play QB like Shortell did in his first game on campus on the round in one of the most famous stadiums in the country. Vastly improved play by the defense in the second half, shutting out USC. One thing I didn't like about the close game with USC last year was that I didn't feel like the Gophers were trying to win, but merely trying to keep the score close. In the second half today, I really felt like this team was much more aggressive with the playcalling and I appreciated that.

That said, would have loved to see this team get off the field on 3rd and 14 late. I'd love to get to the point where I am surprised when an opponent converts a 3rd and forever, but it's been 20 years of conversions for the bad guys. I would have ran on 3rd and 1, but that's a minor quibble and just based on the momentum that the Gophers clearly had at the time. If McKnight doesn't lose his footing, he at least knocks that ball away and the Gophers still have a shot.

Not sure whose fault the missed fg to end the half was, as I didn't see a replay, but you have to convert 41 yard fg's on the road if you expect to win. If the Gophers make just one of their 2 first half fg attempts, they win this game IMHO. My emotions about this game are pretty conflicted: a lot of positives, but you only get so many chances to get a huge win on national tv against a team like USC.

Biggest positive: I thought both Gray and Shortell looked good despite getting very little help from the run game. The way Gray was taking hits, it seemed obvious that we'd need to play another QB. If QB play can be a positive, this team can be a little better than most expect. I liked the ability of the team to bounce back after a really rough first half and the coaches ability to make adjustments was a big part of that.

Biggest negatives: Run game- it's going to be tough to score if we can't open any holes up front. Pass rush- have to get a lot more pressure on the passer than we got today, although it seemed to improve slightly in the second half.

Biggest negatives: Run game- it's going to be tough to score if we can't open any holes up front. Pass rush- have to get a lot more pressure on the passer than we got today, although it seemed to improve slightly in the second half.

I was a little bummed about he run game too. Not sure what happened. We ran the ball okay although we really never broke one open. Part of me is thinking the coaches had a lot of nervousness about the first game. New team, new system, etc. I was hoping to see a few backs get some yards today. Not a typical Kill and staff offensive showing.

Obviously we can take a lot of positives out of the second half performance by this team. Extremely impressive to see a true Freshman play QB like Shortell did in his first game on campus on the round in one of the most famous stadiums in the country. Vastly improved play by the defense in the second half, shutting out USC. One thing I didn't like about the close game with USC last year was that I didn't feel like the Gophers were trying to win, but merely trying to keep the score close. In the second half today, I really felt like this team was much more aggressive with the playcalling and I appreciated that.

That said, would have loved to see this team get off the field on 3rd and 14 late. I'd love to get to the point where I am surprised when an opponent converts a 3rd and forever, but it's been 20 years of conversions for the bad guys. I would have ran on 3rd and 1, but that's a minor quibble and just based on the momentum that the Gophers clearly had at the time. If McKnight doesn't lose his footing, he at least knocks that ball away and the Gophers still have a shot.

Not sure whose fault the missed fg to end the half was, as I didn't see a replay, but you have to convert 41 yard fg's on the road if you expect to win. If the Gophers make just one of their 2 first half fg attempts, they win this game IMHO. My emotions about this game are pretty conflicted: a lot of positives, but you only get so many chances to get a huge win on national tv against a team like USC.

Biggest positive: I thought both Gray and Shortell looked good despite getting very little help from the run game. The way Gray was taking hits, it seemed obvious that we'd need to play another QB. If QB play can be a positive, this team can be a little better than most expect. I liked the ability of the team to bounce back after a really rough first half and the coaches ability to make adjustments was a big part of that.

i hear you, but that is a tough call as far as which way to go there (i.e. run vs. pass). i believe the clock was already under 1 minute, you only have one time out and still need to get probably 35 more yards to be in realistic field goal range. do you run the ball and if you don't get out of bounds be forced to take your final timeout? or if you do get it on the run have to take more time off the clock until you can spike it to stop the clock? do you throw a sideline pass and hope to catch it and get out of bounds to conserve that final timeout?

it is a pretty tough call, imo. especially considering we weren't necessarily pounding the ball in the run game all day. could really go both ways. of course looking back it is frustrating to have to think of the hypotheticals of how the rest of the last drive may have played out if we run it and get a first down.

Supadupafly- I can certainly see the reasoning behind throwing the football there. I do think that it is extremely unlikely that USC commits enough guys to stop the run on 3rd and 1 given the time left in the game and the yards needed for a fg attempt. I think you illustrated a great line of thinking for why passing was the right option there. I agree that it was a tough decision with no obvious answer.

I had no problem with throwing the ball. We struggled running the ball all day and they were certainly ready for us to run it on 3rd and 1. Plus, if we don't make it, the clock keeps running and we have to burn our last timeout. Plus, even if we ran it, make the first down we still had a lot of yards to go to get to field goal range. In addition, based on the fg kicking today, I do not like our chances of making a filed goal outside of 20 yards.

Well...we had two TO's left at that point. I think throwing was the right idea for a number of reasons (most that have been stated), but most importantly you either expect a catch with the player making it out of bounds, or you expect an incomplete pass attempt, but you were already committed for going for it on 4th down whether you throw or run and fail to pick up the first down.

I was a little bummed about he run game too. Not sure what happened. We ran the ball okay although we really never broke one open. Part of me is thinking the coaches had a lot of nervousness about the first game. New team, new system, etc. I was hoping to see a few backs get some yards today. Not a typical Kill and staff offensive showing.

Pretty hard to have a decent running game with virtually no threat of a passing game. Kiffin and Kiffin said well before the game that they were going to crowd the line of scrimmage and make Gray beat them and clearly that wasn't going to happen.

If Gray is going to remain the starter at QB (and I think he should), the coaching staff is going to have to draw up a couple of plays that give Gray a chance at completing a pass or running the ball will be tough all year.

They may not find out much against New Mexico State next week but I almost like that both Miami (OH) and NDSU will present enough of a challenge that we should find out what works and what doesn't before heading into the BT schedule.

WHile not great, the Gophers did reasonably well against a talented opponent. I was happy that we didn't kill (no pun intended) ourselves with too many bad penalties again. Which seems to have been an issue the last few years. Barkley is a very good QB, and after the first half we played well against him. I'm more optimistic about the future. Hope there isnt a letdown next week.

Top Bottom